Why are thongs becoming the most popular choice of panties by women?

It seems like for the past couple of years thongs have taken a big jump in popularity among women by being practically the top style of panties. Also seems like companies are also promoting thongs more than any other type of panties by far. Why so have thongs become the main type of panties for women recently?

Most Helpful Girl

• believe it or not, they are really comfy! they also prevent panty lines and they look good! I see no reasons not to wear them...

What Girls Said 10

• No panty lines - I think that's the main reason.

• not to me... they are not comfortable enough to wear as many hours as you can wear normal ones.

• I never have never will. If I don't want panty lines I wear seamless or commando. I HATE THONGS

• Because they are small

• Because women are highly vulnerable to the media and societal pressures. Make women think there's something wrong and unattractive about pantylines (or anything for that matter), they'll go out and by your product (thongs) and then rake in the dough. If the thong was never pushed back in the 2000's no one would even care about them. Just like no one cares about hi-cut briefs. I remember back when they really took off with that stupid "Thong Song" and Oprah calling death to panty lines.

• I knew panty lines and society were reasons! :D

• come on ladies, in unison, NO PANTY LINES! :P

• Thongs aren't my favorite. I do own some, but bikini styles are my favorite.

• they don't leave panty lines under clothing, that's why I like them. they are also viewed as sexy.

• Are they? What age group are we talking about here? I think underwear like boyshorts or bikini briefs are probably still best-sellers among women in general, but then again, I can't find any statistics.

My view:

- advertisers know that if they make something SEEM like the popular choice, the consumer will think it's the popular choice and be more likely to buy it

- companies profit from selling more thongs because they can charge the same price for less material

- the vast majority of advertisements are geared toward young people, and younger women are more likely to wear thongs and are also the easiest to persuade if they don't have strong preferences about underwear type like many older women do

• Well it's just my thought because usually whenever I see a pic of what a girl recently bought at Victoria's Secret, Aerie, Etc. on my instagram feed it always seems like the panties they buy are only thongs. If you go on ebay and search Aerie panties, Victorias Secret panties, Hollister panties, etc. (note that I only searched them to see what style would mainly show up) preactically the only thing that shows up are thongs. It seems like thongs have taken a big jump in popularity at least among

• Well as other users have alluded, women want to be attractive and we're told that thongs are sexiest. I wouldn't post a picture on instagram of some granny panties I bought, haha.

i heard about this too thongs are like 20% of sales and falling other kinds of panties are out selling..

• because men like them

but they are very uncomfortable.

What Guys Said 5

• Women feel more youthful, and it doesn't cause lines in the pants. Wedgies are unattractive though, so thongs must be tamed.

• I think its because women have been told that having a visible panty line is a bad thing, because many women like the look of wearing a thong, because many women find them comfortable, and because some women want to wear what their friends wear so they fit in. So as you can see, it's not just one reason. I've seen polls where it's been said that bikini panties are still the most popular type being bought. I don't know if that is true, but things could be changing. I'm obviously a guy, and I wear thongs designed for men once in a while. They take a little getting used to every time I wear a pair, but they are very comfortable. I wear them because they are comfortable, they don't show that I'm wearing underwear under certain pairs of shorts I wear. They also don't roll up when I'm wearing some of my slimmer fitting jeans. I'd wear women's thongs if they would actually fit a guy but they don't obviously.

• Men find them sexiest :P

• Because men like them more

• They think they look good in them (not really - body is choppy and it does not accent the good places as much as it does the bad!). They are a no-no to younger girls, hence they hide them and wear them when mom or dad said no. All companies promote the things that sell best.

I wonder if a girl had a friend take pictures of them in thongs from many angles if they would still think they look SEXY AS HELL in them. I like the concept for no VPL not so much as daily wear. More stripper gear then anything.