Is piercing yourself with a safety pin dangerous?

If I were to go out to the store and buy a new pack of safety pins, AND sterilize them before piercing my belly button, would this be considered dangerous? is it better to get it professionally done? I heard of a girl at my school who contracted HIV from a needle when she got something pierced, I don't know if this is because she did it herself or for some other reason.

Most Helpful Girl

• Unless you have an autoclave, there's no way you can properly sterilize that safety pin, no matter how much you burn and boil the sh*t out of it. Piercing anything with a safety pin is always a bad idea, even steril. Plus, standard navel jewelry is 14 gauge. The safety pin would need to be the same size in order to thread the jewelry into the piercing, and even THEN wouldn't work, because a safety pin doesn't have a hollow point to insert the end of the jewelry into. If it's any smaller, good luck forcing that jewelry through. You'll just cause yourself a lot of pain. Safety pins are not for piercing. You need to use hollow needles for piercing, and since you didn't know any of this already, you obviously shouldn't be piercing yourself. You're 23, why can't you just go out and get it done professionally? Navel piercings are easily infected and hard enough to heal when they're done properly, so why risk doing it yourself when it will probably just reject in a few weeks?

The only reason that girl could have contracted HIV from a needle is if it was used by someone else before it was used on her. Any LEGIT piercer would not risk that, even if only for selfish reasons, like not wanting to lose thier license and be shut down. Once a needle is used, it's properly disposed of. They don't re-use them, not even with an autoclave. So logically, she must have pierced something herself, and used a needle someone else had already used, probably within hours of that use.

What Guys Said 4

• I would say that it is as risky as digging a splinter out of you hand with a needle. How many times have you done that? I have used needles countless number of times to clean splinters and cuts on my hands and feet. And I use alcohol every time, and I don't get infections. I recently had to use an exacto-knife on my foot to get a splinter out, because it was incredibly deep (and it was not fun).

HIV is passed on because somebody's blood infected the needle only a few hours before it came in contact with another person's blood. HIV can only live on a needle for about 10 or 12 hours before the virus "dies."

I would look into buying needles for the purpose of self piercing. The tattoo and piercing parlor gets fresh needles from somewhere; perhaps you can buy them in their own sterilized package.

• It is extremely unsafe to pierce something yourself. You definitely should get it professionally done.

• I agree, particularly your belly button! Loadza people get horrible infections even when it's done professionally

• You can do it, but I wouldn't suggest it. Get it done professionally. No doubt. lol

• let someone professional do it.

What Girls Said 14

• ok... dear... put the keys down... good now hit your head against the wall a few times... seriously... as a paramedic and a nursing student... do not ever pierce anything unless your getting it done professionally... the chance of contracting a disease or something if you choose a clean place and watch them change all the equipment and replace it with brand new stuff is um... 0%... don't be stupid... what happens if you knick a blood vessel doin it... or it gets infected... then your screwed... don't do it... get it done professionally or don't do it at all!

• why wouldn't you just get it done by a professional?

• well not to mention that the blood vesel that is in your belly button and if you hit that your as good as soon to be dead it happened to me and I got rushed to the hospital I would get I done professionaly if I werer you its not fun and its not sanitary not matter how much sterillized it

• Anytime you think about getting a piercing you should always get it professionally done. The bellybutton is easily prone to infection as well simply because of the area it is located in. I suggest you get it done professionally so you save yourself risk of infection and on top of that the bellybutton needle and all jewelery are gagged at I believe 14 so the average safety pin is I think an 18 that's a big difference

• yes! please go to a professional!

• dont do that

youre over 18, just get it done professionally

• I think it's fine if you are really careful with cleaning the pin first. Burn it in the fire then rub alcholol on it first.

• yuck I wouldn't even go down that road lol. Get it done professionally or not at all.

• let someone professional do it. a safety pin is the most dangerous thing you could use.

• I've done it countless times.. I just guess it's safe.

• yes ofcorse

derrr

• Rather just go somewhere professional. Make sure the people clean their equipment, ask them to see them take the equipment out if you want to. Don't do it your own way. Not safe at all.

• yeah that sounds dangerous. and I agree with best answer, you need an autoclave for it. for sure. I couldn't do it on myself. I would totally freak.

• That's pretty unsanitary and unsafe. Why not just get it professionally done? After all, they are professionals. You don't know what you're doing, what if you pierce through a blood vessel or something?