Why do some guys prefer plain girls to dolled up girls?

How do you feel about girls who like to doll themselves up? Long hair that's usually styled, wears makeup, gets nails done and tries to always wear new cute clothes?

I would assume that most people prefer the look of this type of girl because it DOES look better. I recently met a guy who met me on an "off" day and he kept overcomplimenting me saying how gorgeous I was and all that, when really I looked a mess and I was at work too. then he saw me again another day and on that day I was "on". I was the description in my first paragraph. he made a comment about why I was doing that "fake stuff" and said that he preferred the natural look. I actually don't really think it's appropriate for a guy who barely knows you to negatively criticize your appearance like that anyway, like if you want a natural chick you need to go find erykah badu because that's not me lol...but anyways..what makes some guys prefer plain bummy looking girls over girls who actually look good?

when I say look better: lets just say there are 2 girls, equal height weight face body hair, etc..but Girl 1's hair is a little messy/ungroomed, her eyebrows are full and kinda bushy, she has no makeup on (she has flaws in her skin like most humans, so don't picture a model) and basically she just looks like she got out of bed...compared to Girl 2 who just got her hair done from the salon, her nails are done, she has on a cute outfit and she has on light flattering makeup that improves her appearance.

isnt it odd that this guy would prefer Girl one when Girl 2 obviously looks better? The first time I met this guy I got kind of odd vibes from him, so i"m wondering if he might be one of those guys who wants a girl he feels has low self esteem and doesn't take care of herself so he can mistreat her or take advantage of her. it just doesn't make sense why you would compliment a woman you barely know when she looks bummy but the next time you see her criticize her when she looks good?

Most Helpful Guy

• Combination of fear and ego. Men don't like the competition. Simple as that.

Just like most guys will do everything possible to avoid a physical fight, they will do everything possible to avoid rejection from a pretty girl.

Has nothing to do with the girl themselves.

What Guys Said 7

• Its obvious if a woman just had a day of pampering, nail and hair salons, shopping, etc, she is going to look good. For some guys that is the type of girl they would go for, its just not for me.

My reasoning is simple. Most women don't go on daily pampering sprees and while make-up enhances facial features it also conceals natural beauty. Some women actually look unbelievably better when they wear make-up but without it they appear to be like a totally different person.

I prefer a naturally attractive woman over a dolled up attractive woman is quite simple. If I am attracted to her without the make-up, or with minimal make-up, then its an added bonus when she does go all out and get dolled up. Either way I'm drawn to her appearance, so even if she's staying in with no make-up and just wearing sweats and "bumming around" I will still find her attractive. That's not always the case for the woman who practically live in make-up.

Most of us don't require that she be model caliber, just that she appeals to us. Additionally, models are flawless due to airbrush and Photoshop. They're human like the rest of us, and therefore, they too have physical flaws.

In regard to the guy criticizing you, I don't think it was appropriate for him to do so. He could have conveyed his preferences in a more flattering manner. However, everyone is individual and what individuals find attractive is subjective and will vary between individuals. Case in point, he finds you more attractive when you're not dolled up. Try and find the compliment in that, because not all women have a naturally appealing look. You find yourself more attractive when you are dolled up. Its all a matter of personal preference and he can't tell you what you like about yourself and others no more than you can tell him about what he likes about you or others.

• In your opinion it looks better... What you think looks nice may not look nice to other people. Same as what I think looks nice may not look nice to you, or to others. I prefer plain girls, sure it's good for a girl to take some pride in her appearance, but a lot of make up and nails etc... can come off as being high maintenance. I think messy sort of bed hair is actually better looking than someone who has spent ages trying to get it 'right'... it also shows that she's human and not barbie. I really detest make up, ever try getting that stuff out of your clothes? friggin nightmare, embarrassing as well when it ends up all over my face as well.

• It's all in the eye of the beholder in terms of who 'looks better.' A lot of us think too much makeup is a sign of someone who is shallow and insincere and likely to dump us as soon as someone with more money shows up.

Oversimplfying, of course, but basically that's how most guys react to someone all 'dolled up.'

That''s why yu got the comment about the 'fake stuff' and for every guy who says that to your face (I agree it's not polite to do so), there are many who think it to themselves. Trust me!

• For me, if we're going somewhere nice, a party, social event...sure take your time to look stunning fabulous. I'll appreciate the effort and MAYBE willing to have the patience to wait another 1+ hour when I get to your place and you're still getting ready...

But if we're just hanging out around the neighborhood, getting a quick bite, running some errands, ya know...chill days...you don't need to get completely dolled up! Just go with the plain jane look or light makeup if you HAVE to. I like the bummy girl just as much as I like the dolled up girls depending on occasion...

I do like my girlie girls...but I'll take the girl who will spend less time getting ready... :/ lol! Or don't need to go through 3 outfit changes in a day! YEESH. lol

• We know they're real...plain and simple.

Some guys seem them as less intimidating, "I have a chance with her!"

Some guys just think makeup is slutty, no matter the amount

Some guys like myself prefer natural beauty, despite the fact that many of you girls think guys like us are BS'ing you.

• Less maintenance. Next question

• That's because we don't like high maintenance girl because they are always deemed as gold diggers even if they are not.

What Girls Said 3

• In your opinion lol. For most men they generally like very little to no make-up that's wy that man complimented you so much for a majority of me they like as natural as possible. In my opinion dolled up isn't better I mean if people are trying to impress with so much excess of make up and what not, it's like what's the point if that isn't what you look like when you go to sleep at night? I can kick it bummy because I feel I still look great and look fabulous always so I guess that's why people still talk to me nice clothes regardless, No make up on my face.

• they fear that the girl is high manteinance

• it's kind of rude of him to say that and honestly I still think most guys prefer the dolled up girl who looks pretty. unless she is super pretty and actually looks good plain but most girls look better made up as long as it isn't over the top.

i mean a full heavy makeup every day looks a bit much. but every girl admits I look better with some makeup on because I have shadows around my eyes so with no makeup I just look very tired.