3 Big Reasons Why I Can't See Myself As a Vegetarian

I've thought about becoming vegetarian and I've considered the reasons people have given. It's more humane, we don't need meat in our diets, etc. Meat eaters are bashed and don't have morals; those who don't eat meat are somehow automatically more empathetic. But... I don't know if I'll ever make it there.

For one...

Meat tastes so good!

I love chicken. Baked, fried, grilled, I love it all. Burgers are great, meatballs, pot roast, meatloaf....need I go on? Not only does it complete a meal (my personal preference) but the taste is amazing. I've heard that I'm probably just missing things from my diet and that's why I'm craving meat, bla bla bla, but really, the taste is what gets me. Other foods don't give me the same satisfied feeling.

2. I'm kind of a picky eater.

Tofu is automatically out. I refuse. The thought of fake food going into my mouth makes me want to puke. I'm also not a dairy fan. I eat cheese but not a lot of yogurt. Milk tastes and smells terrible to me; I gag every time. I don't eat breakfast foods. The only veggies I like are corn, potatoes and broccoli. Nuts give me headaches. Beans...ugh. Soup? That's a hit or miss. If I cut meat out of my diet I know I'm going to struggle to find things to fill that void. I will try new things but if I don't like the taste I'm done. I prefer to stick to things I know and are safe rather than waste money on things I won't end up liking.

3. I just don't have the patience.

My patience wears thing very easily, especially when I'm doing something I don't like. Meat is a big part of diet. My meals consist of it about 3-4 times a week. If I were to quit I don't think I could handle the cravings. Cutting myself off doesn't seem appealing. Anybody could say that about anything but you understand where I'm coming from. I won't take the time to research meals or get frustrated trying to find things I like. Being around people enjoying the big meals while I'm stuck eating a salad would piss me off. I'd cave in probably after a day because I know I would be miserable.

I probably sound weak and maybe I am. But going vegetarian just isn't for me and I don't think I should be judged for that. I'm not forcing my views in anyone and I don't like people forcing their views on me. Thank you to the animals who give me sustenance and I'm grateful.

If you're going to comment keep it respectful.

#vegetarian

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

• Well, just so you're aware, tofu is very much a "real food." It's just bean curd. In fact, it's probably more real than a lot of meat out there, given the outrageous things we sometimes inject into that meat...

• Shouldn't we also than take into consideration all the outrageous fertilizers we inject into the soil?

• Tofu and other soybean derived products are bad for ya. They are full of toxins unless ya pasteurize it like some of the orientals do. America tells us that it is good for us because we have an abundance of soybeans and once again profit over the welfare of the ppl!

• @Miezko yes we sure should, large corps even use sewer sludge as fertilizer. I mostly eat organic and have not eaten meat since I was 5yrs. old. (out of concern for animals only). Beware of products that claim to be organic because quite often their parent co. Is yet again a large corp. The USDA will stamp it organic when in fact the fertilizer is not. Plus ya can taste chemicals on it too. True org foods must come from animals fed w only organic foods!

• I love meat and vegetables. #balance

• i just dont want to do it because of the nutrients in fish. there's a reason they sell fish oil supplements.

• Lol @ girls who eat meat. Meat is for men

• I enjoy both the veggies and the meat. I am not partial to one or the other, both can make or break a dish.

I usually don't eat meat Mon-Fri but on the weekends I like to bbq so I change it up.

• I had rich braised beef with melting onions, and I just had to stop by to tell y'all, that sh_t was so good!

• Meat eaters aren't weak. See those vegetarian support group? You don't need support group for eating meat.

• To me its a hard battle between the naturally need for meat (it feels like that to me) the comfort of the easy buying in supermarkets, the great taste... and... the millions of poor animals rest their short lifes in horrible "meat factories" never see the sunlight, carried through half of Europe in extreme tight animal transporters.

• To me its a hard battle between the naturally need for meat (it feels like that to me) the comfort of the easy buying in supermarkets, the great taste... and... the millions of poor animals rest their short lifes in horrible "meat factories" never see the sunlight, carried through half of Europe in extreme tight animal transporters... i feel very sad for them :(

• why would anyone live on a horrible vegetarian diet anyway.
    idgaf i eat as much meat as i like!
    i looove tasty chicken legs and pirk chops and mutton and beef...
    just thinking of it makes me hungry.
    enjoy your life, do whateva dafuk you want!
    #allkindsofgains

What Girls Said 6

• Yeah those aren't the most shallow reasons ever -_-

• Oh I don't eat pork! Or lamb! And I'm not a fan of milk. So I'm not too bad you know?

• Thank you!!

• I have one reason: bacon.

• Coming from someone who used to eat meat every single day with every single meal, I know it seems impossible. In fact I used to make fun of vegetarians and vegans😂 But then something weird happened.. I became a vegan. Research helps a lot with pushing you towards vegetarianism /veganism. Meat does taste REALLY good but the alternatives also taste REALLY good. I can't tell you how many people I've fooled into thinking I was serving them real meat (Gardein is amazing by the way if you're looking for a good brand). Alternatives taste so good plus you don't get the cholesterol and saturated fat along with it (; You don't have to just sit and eat salad, trust me there are so many meals you can eat. Not here to force anything on you! What you choose to eat is apart of YOUR life. Just do research on all the health , enviormental , and animal benefits from the diet. All I can say is that's what pushed me. Hope this helped and again whatever you do is your decision, and that's not my place to comment on!(:

• tofu is most definitely not a fake food. and, coming from a vegetarian, plain raw tofu is gross. i used to love meat as well, but it actually wasn't that hard to cut out because i really wanted to. also, you should probably try to eat more vegetables. corn is technically a grain and potatoes are a starch.

but honestly i think these are the pretty standard reasons people don't become vegetarians. they're always the ones i hear when i tell people i'm a vegetarian and they aren't. vegetarian foods can be surprisingly tasty and satisfying but only if you're open to it haha

• I could never lol..

• I am a vegetarian and run a vegetarian household... it's actually super easy. We still have our favorites (like cheese steaks occationally just with pepper mushrooms and onions in the place of meat - we have our favorite meals still and just substitute the meat.. and I have found some great veg meals as well) definitely not for everyone though, no one should be made to feel bad about that.

• But mushrooms aren't vegetables. They're fungi, which are far more closely related to animals than they are to plants. And fungi feed exclusively upon dead and decaying matter, in exactly the same way that earthworms, woodlice, slugs and dung flies do. Why would you want to eat mushroom meat, if you can't palate eating animal meat?

• @SinghSong No because all of that would be entirely to new for us to really know what the long term side effects of that would be...

• @SinghSong mushrooms eat from decaying matter of plants and are not animals (no stomach, brain lungs... well ya get the point) so in no way what so ever is she eating meat!!!