7 Reasons Why I Have Never - And Will Never - Touch Alcohol

You may think I'm just a prude and probably I am; I'll always be but I have my reasons as well. It's not that I'm against the idea of having fun, I'm not a party pooper. I just happen to think of the consequences before thinking of instance and here are 7 reasons why I never drink.

1- Fear of Losing Control

I never understood why people love losing control. Your brain is basically tuned out, you can't think, you're not different than a wild animal but just more dangerous. You can say things that you don't think and hurt other people's feelings, you can do a lot of illegal stuff and lose people you love. How can you not be afraid of the possibility of ending pregnant (for females) or in jail?

I'm sorry but I'm not willing to ruin my life for two hours of fun.

2- Self respect

Most people don't care about this one but I surely don't want to puke on myself, do crazy disgusting stuff that I wouldn't do sober or humiliate myself that way. Even if I was alone, I refuse to act like a crazy psycho on need.

3- The bad smell

The few times I encountered alcohol in my life I almost puked or fainted. Sometimes I ask myself, "How can people actually DRINK that?"

4- Health

You may think one or two drinks once in a while won't hurt you but believe me, you'll wish you didn't drink as much when age kicks in. When your skin is darkening and you have digestive problems in your 60's... You'll remember this! Especially for women who will go through menopause. Let's not forget the damage it causes to our nerves and brain.

5- False hopes

Alcohol may create the sweet illusion of making all your trouble go away when it's just wasting your time instead of being a real adult and facing life with a hard facade. Alcohol is just a waste of time and money. Because the night you spend drinking and mourning over your loss, will not benefit you in any way, nor make you feel better ( maybe for few hours but after it you'll feel worse)

6- Ruins Good Moments

Having few drinks after you accomplished something or got back with your loved ones may seem like the perfect way to celebrate but this perfect moment may turn very bad due to alcohol, anyone can do some bad things under the influence of this beverage and it'll ruin the moment.

7- Some may lead to more

"I'll just have one drink," she said, and three hours later she was passed out on the bathroom floor.

Even if one cup won't do damage, safe is always better than sorry.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

I don't drink, either. Never have.

Couldn't figure out how it could have anything but a negative impact on anyone's life, and besides, it all tastes like utter crap to me. :P

i have never drank it before and never gonna drink it ever

There is something called drinking in moderation!

Stop the fear-mongering about alcohol. Gotta live a little!

• 25d

lol you are such a loser. If you don't over drink. It is super. If you don't drink for some reasons. It doesn't mean driking is bad.

• 29d

I know why I wouldnt'. Knowing myself, I would be the violent drunk and many senseless beatings would commence on random strangers.^^

Bad taste? guess you never had an irish car bomb? Anyhow i drink probably more than i should but im in fucking korea where we have soju for lunch and 99% of the people can handle their shit quite well... Plus iv made more mistakes i regret while sober than when i was drinking..

P. S. notice how most Koreans live longer and look younger than Americans? The secret might be in the Soju!

• 26d

I doubt that... it's more likely more exercise and a healthier diet.

• 26d

@BeeNee haha hardly.. most korean women under the age of 50 will NOT exercise.. they find muscles on women to be unattractive and well their views on beauty tend to outweigh everything else.. but the diet? Iv seen the girls pack the food away lol.. but yes its generally healthier food then your McD and burger king fetish

Summary: "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but alcohol is bad and you shouldn't touch it because it's bad."

Next you're going to say don't eat burgers because they're fatty and 100% bad for your health.

• 25d

I am agree with you. She doesn't have any idea. how good to drink.

Drink responsibly.

Don't drink more than you can handle. 1-2 shots or 1 pint of beer. Never drink the cheap stuff because it's a waste.

I once got my hands on one of those authentic Abbey beer from Germany. I couldn't drink the colored water people usually sell anymore.

Black and white, as always. It's not just stone cold sober or one night stands/fights/puking.

It's wonderful you've decided not to drink, but there are millions upon millions ofnresponsible drinkers (aka the overwhelming majority of people who do partake) who could refute everything you've said.

Drinking has much more bad than good. Good for you.

You know, you CAN drink alcohol without getting shitfaced drunk. Just having a drink and kicking back can be very relaxing. And it is a great social lubricant, and good for de-stressing after work.

Good take. I will never drink because alcohol abusers (drunks lol) run in my family.

I like to have a few beers when I listen to music - usually twice a week. It's my own private time to unwind and to escape from my cares for a few hours in the privacy of my home. And I really do need this time. However, I never touch booze at social gatherings or when I go to restaurants, or in any in any situation where I'll be driving home afterwards. My late wife was very understanding of my music / beer ritual and she gave me my space. One reason why I've gone MGTOW is because I'm afraid that the next women in my life will give me shit about it. It's too late. My drinking habits will never change. I'm an experienced drinker. My motto is, "If you're going to abuse it then just don't use it".

I have been drinking for years. And this whole summer I drank literally every night, never less than 10 beers or under 1l of liquor. I never embarrassed myself while drunk, I never threw up on myself, on somebody else or even in a public place. In fact I threw up maybe 5 times in my life (from alcohol) and most of it was when I was less experienced. I literally don't have a single bad experience caused by alcohol. Im not saying what Im doing is good, but you are being too paranoid and a little bitch about it. Get drunk once or twice and then say it's bad (if you still dont like it), but saying something sucks and you don't know what it's like, thats just childish and stupid.

Good Take, I also dislike alcohol for the most of these reasons.

From a fellow non-drinker surrounded by friends who drink: respect :D

It's a little sad and silly that you have this limited picture of alcohol always being consumed only in the most extreme way. That's like me saying "I will stop eating. Food is shit. I saw a 400-pound guy yesterday!" I thought you were from France? Has nobody ever taught you to drink responsibly? I'm not much of an alcohol-lover myself but especially wine is a European cultural heritage. In my family, it's completely normal to drink a glass of wine at family gatherings and guess what? Nobody ever pukes or ends up on the bathroom floor. In fact, I've grown up drinking wine already as a child because my dad is Greek and it's normal for children in Greek culture to drink wine and none of us became an alcoholic.

Being critical of alcohol is a good thing but demonizing it like you do only disqualifies you because it shows you're not capable of seeing things in a differentiated and reflected manner.

As I said in what I've written, safe is better than sorry. Alcohol may not harm you if you don't drink excessively, I agree but on long term? I can't not guarantee it will not harm you. Also, a wise man said once : “First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you. ” F. Scott Fitzgerald.
      And we cannot compare this to food because food is essential to live, meanwhile alcohol is not and I grew up in the same conditions myself, my father and his whole family are wine experts, my uncle has 4 liquor stores and I grew up this way. I am not incapable of seeing things under a different light, I know drinking has its pros and cons but the cons overweight the pros. So, I decided to restrain myself.

And if you want to talk about studies, I think I'll beat you to this one. We all know that alcohol's benefits are few compared to its drawbacks.

You didn't say every drinker is an alcoholic but you portray alcohol as though it was an inescapable path to destruction, which is silly. There are hundreds of millions of people who drink alcohol and don't struggle. Just because you touch a glass of wine doesn't mean you're gonna wake up on the bathroom floor the next morning. You understand the difference between moderateness and extreme behavior, right?

I agree, but I would also add bad taste to the list of reasons.

3 and 4 are fine excuses cause alcohol does smell horrible and is bad pretty for you, so yeah. The rest of the reasons are weak. You're admitting that you have no self control, you don't know how to not go past your limit, and you lack the confidence in yourself to remain coherent while inebriated. That's how I'm reading it

Read it as you please pretty boy, you may think I'm weak or I lack confidence ( which is faaaar from truth lol) but if we see it from another light, I can be stronger than you. I don't depend on anything to be happy and I don't need any kind of drinks to relive my stress and sorrows. I can overcome my anger, pain, sorrows... etc without anything nor anyone but myself. All I need is to set an eye on my goals and keep moving forward. I'm sorry but who has no self control and lacks confidence? I'm sure as hell it's not me that we're talking about.

I'm sorry, I am the one who overreacted. I still need to go through the 'I'm not a baby anymore ' phase.

I glad we reached a civil conclusion 😊

All of these are only if you overdo it (apart from the smell). Also you need to get used to alcohol for these problems cause otherwise you just start puking before you get drunk enough to do something you regret.
    As my mum always said drinking is fine as long as you know your limits and only drink if you're in a good mood (don't drink to drown your sorows, that leads to overdoing it and alcoholism)

But yeah, if it's legal where you live, better just stick to weed, it doesn't have these problems

Enjoyable take - Yeah I often think I wouldn't particularly miss alcohol if it wasn't in my life, I only drink maybe about twice a year now.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 13

I'm scared of llosingcontrol too when it comes to alcohol and drugs. But... I like alcohol with food a lot though. Not even buzzed just the tastes...

I'm a drinker, and the trick is to just not have too much. You can tell when you're getting to the point of going from tipsy, to verging on drunk.

Only once have I drunk enough to get nauseous, and I had gone straight from tipsy to almost throwing up, simply because I drank too much too fast.

But you learn what is best for you, so you have just enough to get that buzz you're after.

What alcohol does for me, is it slows my thoughts so it's almost like it turns the volume in my head down. Grants me some peace. But it also makes me really tired if I have more than a bit.

My mums rules for me is to never drink alone, if you're going to drink make sure it's a social drink, to never drink before ten am, and to not drink more than two days in a row.
    Not like she can talk since she is never without a drink, but, I follow these rules, and it works for me.

As long as you don't drink too much or create a dependency on it, alcohol is actually okay for you, not good, just not bad either.

• 26d

I've never had an alcoholic beverage in my life. I understand some of where you are coming from, of course, but even so, I think you have to have a more mature outlook on it, when it comes to others. It's important not to say that if you drink, xyz will definitely happen to you because that assertion is not based in any fact. The fact is many people do drink responsibly and suffer no ill side effects because of it. I respect that as much as I respect those like myself who chose not to drink for whatever reason.

It's been proven that drinking moderate amounts of alcohol is healthy for your heart ✌🏼️

No offense, but there's a right and wrong way to drink. You obviously only seen the wrong way. Drinking can be quite fun on the right occasion

Shots¡

I'd rather be a drunk than have this holier-than-thou attitude.

Good reasons to keep away from it

Let me add my opinion on it. I agree on 1, 2, 6 and 7 and that is my case. I can deal with a bad taste cause that you can't get rid of. In my case I do drink but not too much and I dont know what it feels to be completely drunk and passed out. I dont know what that feels as I never had experience it because some of the reasons stated above.

For me I dont want to experience what it feels to start going dizzy, puking vomiting because I got completely drunk I mean what person will like to enjoy those effects just because you drank too much and it is just for fun? That is not enjoyable that is stupid. Are people masoquists to the extend to like to feel bad and miserable just for being drunk? I pass.

SOm e people will say that ibeing drunk is part of having fun at the parties, really do you really believe that? I dont think any drunk person will say that alcohol side effects are so good because they were having just fun , they feel miserable and terrible. I dont want to feel miserable and terrible.

Also beign durnk and wasted you make ridiculous acts in public,. Really? Do you like that? Is that even funny to become the laughing stock of the party and be remember your whole life for that? Again I pass I dont want to look like a stupid and be rembered always i was doing ridiculous thing while bieng wasted.

Also being drunk people take advantage of you because you are not in your 5 senses capacity to differentiate what is wrong or right. You can be raped, and being done other terrible things, Do I want that to happen to me? No way I dont want that cause it could end up in tragic consequencense that some may not even have a solution just because you wanted "to have harmless fun" at all so then again pass being drunk.

I do drink and I know when to stop for the reason that I dont want to experience any of those things drunk people experience, I dont want to feel miserable, do ridicule things in public or get taken advantage of.
    Also I drink slowly so the alcohol does not hit too fast to the brain. The moment I start to feel a bit tipsy or light headed that is the moment I put a stop to the drinking at parties.. I just let other do the ridicule and become drunk and passed out I dont want to become another statistic. Im responsible on that field when drinking alcohol.

I know people can drink without being disgusting, however, I live in a college town so pretty much anyone who drinks winds up disgusting and ruins my bus ride home. Plus, I don't want to be altered, I want to be me, and it tastes like shit most of the time and is expensive, just not a good way to use money when there is guacamole and chocolate.

Have you actual ever tried alcohol?

I don't need to try it to know what it does and no, I never tasted it.

That's why you can only judge reverted from what some stupid people do... alcohol, if you know your limit and stick to it, is not a bad thing. It won't make you do dumb things. You're young. Open up your a little get always approach with caution. But never write something off before giving it a try.

Amen to that. Its very unhealthy. The only ones that I know has benefits for health is wine that is not alcoholic and scotch. Which can help you to circulate and warm up your blood. However the major problem with it is that while can do those things, its only a temporary fix that can cause heart palpitations and possible heart attack.

I'm not against alcohol, even though i grew up with an alcoholic father. I'll have the occasional beer at a bar on the weekends but not enough to get me completely shitfaced. I like the little buzz it gives me. it's not a sense of losing control really, it does help calm my anxiety though.

all in moderation I suppose.

I have a couple glasses of wine every now and then, and maybe a cocktail sometimes if I'm eating at a restaurant. I've never lost control of myself, never vomited, never passed out, never regretted any of my actions the next day (not counting the few mild hangovers I've had). I think it's fine as long as you know your limit and stick to it. I've met people who act like they NEED to get wasted in order to have a good time at a party, and that's silly. Or people who know their limits but deliberately overdo it.

That said, if you feel that strongly about it, by all means stick to it. My best guy friend had several alcoholics in his family, and for that reason he never touches alcohol either. I respect that and never push him or offer him any.