Changes to GAG: What's new in this update?

As many of you have probably already noticed, there have been a few changes to the GirlsAskGuys layout and features! Here's a short run-down of some of the things that were changed/tweaked in the recent update.

1. Live Feed. Filtering is easier and much simpler now.

You can filter by users you follow (buddy icon) and topics you follow(books icon). Filtering by age and post type was removed. Post types (Recent Questions and myTakes can be accessed from the top "Feed" menu).

A few things to note:

The Live Feed will default to no filters selected. Once you click something in the filter, the Live Feed items will show based on that.

After you make your filter selections you can click/tap on "Remember" button and save your filter setting. This way you will see the same filter setup everytime you land on the Feed page. Selected filters will have "green" circle around them.

The post types you will see in the feed:

- No filters selected:

Questions
Question Opinions
Question Updates
MHO Awarded to a user

Opinion Comment from a user you follow
All Promoted myTake (colored bulb icon)
All Promoted myTake Opinions (colored bulb icon)
myTake from a user you follow (gray bulb icon)
myTake Opinon from a user you follow (gray bulb icon)
myTake Opinion Comment from a user you follow (gray and colored bulb)

- Followed Users filter selected ("buddy" icon)

Questions from users you follow
Question Opinions from users you follow
Question Opinion Comments from users you follow
Question Updates from users you follow
MHO Awarded to a user you follow
All myTakes from users you follow
All myTakes Opinions from users you follow
All myTake Opinion Comments from users you follow

- Followed Topics icon selected ("books" icon)

Questions from Topics you follow
Question Opinions from Questions you follow
Question Updates from Questions you follow
Question Opinion Comments from Questions you follow
MHO Awarded for a Question you follow
Promoted myTakes (colored bulb) from Topics you follow
Promoted myTake (colored bulb) Opinions from myTakes you follow
Promoted myTake (colored bulb icon) Opinion Comments from myTakes you follow
All myTakes from users you follow (Including gray bulb icons)
All myTakes Opinions from users you follow (Including gray bulb icons)
All myTake Opinion Comments from users you follow (Including gray bulb icons)

In the feed filtering section, followed topics and followed users cannot be selected at the same time.

Posts from users and topics you blocked will not be in your feed.

2. New "Feed Menu" options! We have now separated recent "Questions" and "myTakes" in the menu. When visiting these pages, you can also filter by users you follow and topics you follow, similar to how you would filter on the Live Feed.

Tell us what you think. How do you use the site? How do you like the new flow? Any feedback?

For Help on all your questions about G@G please visit the FAQ Page.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 25

• It's ok I guess. The only thing I'm not too fond of is that you got rid of the popular question tab. Now I don't know what I can look at and stuff. I really liked that.

• I'm not sure how I feel about it. Quite unsure actually.

• When I hover my mouse over Feed I don't get a drop down menu with the arrows on the right hand side. Is that normal?

• Another update! Well I guess we'll get used to it after a few days.

• I see you can't filter questions by age any more or am I missing something. I liked that option

• You know what it's been a week now I dislike it more every time I log on. The feed is almost useless without the age filter. Well that's my opinion anyways.

• So it seems because the stats said not many are using the age filters you got rid of it? WHY? was it slowing things down now If I want to check out the questions I have to sift through piles of he looked at me, she said this, what's it mean. It was so much easier to filter the underage out.

• I'm getting cross eyed.

• How about making it possible to delete questions... that would be a nice change.

• Please make a filter for ages! I'd really rather see stuff from people around my age versus very young kids.

• Why do you guys keep changing things that don't need fixing?

The only good change that happened since the major layout change last year was the @mention feature. Every change after that has been crap. You can at least warn us before you make the change.

Now, you're asking us to donate too. That to me is proof that these new changes suck.

You guys are trying too hard to make this like windows8 or facebook, etc. Like WhiteSteve said, GaG doesn't need bells and whistles. Just bring GaG back to something it's not right now - simple and user friendly.

• ERMAGERD. I can't with these changes. It's ridiculous that the question "How do you like the new flow?" even has to be asked. The overall discontent with these unnecessary changes should be obvious.

• Can we not with the changes please.

• This is the only layout I know, and I've only use it on my phone, but it feels fairly intuitive to me. I like it.

• @girlsaskguys
    Why the hell!! You guys keep. chaning this page!! No wonder a lot of active users left

• For the next update can you something useful? Maybe find a way to persuade GaGers to use the search function or filter common questions being asked with keywords and not allow it to be asked, instead direct them to an everlasting list of questions similar to whats being asked. Instead of recommended questions which many people find annoying, commonly asked questions should be asked there since its always n our faces people will be persuaded to click and likely will not ask the same thing. Also people are still complaining about there questions not being answered that's mainly because we can't see them unless we filter. The hashtag thing useless like come on don't you guys ever listen. I can't speak for everyone but these are general concerns that know other people have so I'm sure you have seen it too but f not now you know.

• Thanks for the feedback... I hear you.. We need a better way to show similar questions to askers before they ask... but in reality every question has its own unique details. For example, all "does he like me?" questions have unique details... And the asker wants to get personalized opinions. We're working on improving the search results.. We will also implement a recommended questions algorithm to askers to help the asker more.

• I sometimes wish you guys would tell us your reasons for doing things. It baffles me sometimes

• I would have loved to see multiple MHO option in addition to an icon on a question which is already answered by me? Or change in text color?

• What do you mean by "multiple MHO option"?

• CityBoy773 just answered - exactly what I meant. Thank you :)

• I like this update.

There is one thing I don't like, but I'm not using that feature right now so I forgot :C ugh

• Please bring back IM chat

• I'm not liking all these changes. They just take time to figure out and get used to. They don't benefit me any and they usually just seem like a waste. Something you could do is take the recommended myTakes thing off the side of the screen. It makes the screen glitch and it's quite annoying.

• What kind of browser are you using? And what kind of glitch are you seeing with myTakes module on the side? Can you send a screen shot if possible? Thanks for the feedback.

• @BaileyisDarcy what device are you using chrome on? Can you send a screenshot when that happens?

• @menguc
      I'll try, it doesn't happen very often and it hasn't for a while now. But I'll try to remember to next time it happens.

• why do you keep making idiotic changes?

• Because we need to evolve, We need to changes. In this world everything is changing. Even you !

• @Star_Lord Removing useful features is not evolving, it's DEVOLVING.

• Lamo, This is only Influence a part of people, Not all the people don't like the new update, You two just need to get used to it, and accept it. After all we just users. Evolution to maturity, It will take times. GAG still growing !

• I DONT LIKE CHANGE

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 25

• I feel like it's imperative to filter out questions from the under 18 group. There may be some legal exposure (pun intended) to replying to those questions is one is an adult. I hope you'll reintroduce the age filtering with the ability to select multiple ages/age groups/ranges.

• what happened to "Popular" questions/section?

• The popular questions can be found on the homepage. If you hover over the "Feed" tab on the top blue bar, click on "featured" and you will see the "popular" questions and myTakes.

• I think the removal of age filters was unnecessary, as some people have definitely been using that to stop seeing all the "my crush blushed as he put his hands between my thighs, what does this mean" kind of under 18 questions. I wasn't, but I can see why they would.

Otherwise, the other filter became a feed menu option, which makes sense I guess.

• I somewhat hope that next update will include the question event type filters coming back, they have been removed ages ago even though it was quite useful. Now that questions are separate from mytakes, there is no reason not to add them back.

• @Alistar nah it wasn't that great, you couldn't just "deselect" age groups you didn't want, you could only select age groups one by one.

• Thanks for your reply.

It might still have been useful.

• I don't like it.

• I don't dislike nor like the new changes, let me see how things end up working, well, lets hope I have time to get used to it before you guys change it again xD I love the fact that you take care of the community, but I don't think it's necessary so many changes constantly.
    I'd like to know why you make changes every month or so.

• We are still in a development phase... We make changes to better suite to users' needs. However I can tell you that this was the last big update for sometime to come. But do please give your feedback. We'd like to know how you want to use the site, how and what content you want to see. So keep it coming :)

• @menguc Oh ok, thanks for replying. I honestly don't have a specific type of questions I like to answer, I just go with the mood and what people ask, if I think it's interesting I'll click on it. I just roam around the live feed and see what's interesting.

• cool... let me know if you have any ideas

• When I click on the mytakes, there is no recents one, only the promoted ones. How do I make it so that I see the most recents again, not just ones that you guys like?

• Only "promoted myTakes" and "unpromoted myTakes from users you follow" are listed on "myTakes" page. Unpromoted myTakes from "users you follow" are also listed in your feed.

• Thank you for sharing the scope of changes with the users :)

The only thing that is missing and does make a difference personally to me is the filtering by age. Is it ok to ask why GAG didn't find it relevant to keep that part of GAG alive? :)

I do like most changes but yes I must agree with most of the GAGers that GAG's look seems to be a painter's canvas that's constantly metamorphosing which bothers most users :) Imagine tremors every week is neither enjoyable nor news :)

• This site changes too much for me to figure out what the hell changed week after week.. between the same 1,000 of questions asked over and over and charges on the site without warning I don't really come on here much anymore.

• Don't like it, don't like it, don't like it. I don't like any of the new changes. This site changes every week and that just confuses people.
    Just keep things the way they are so I don't have to readjust to the new changes.

• To be completely honest, the layout of the site was best like 2-3 years ago. There's way too many bells and whistles now, and it makes simple-minded folks like myself frightened and confused😆 I really liked the basic layout, everything was easy and required no explanation, there were maybe 6-8 categories of questions, and you just scrolled through and read what you wanted. I don't need all these filters and feeds and Op-Ed pieces and such. I'd endorse one simple site feed with all the recent activity, then a few broad categories to search under with a list of recently asked questions in said category. Speaking of feeds, all the big pictures that accompany the Takes on the feed drive me nuts. The words get lost in all the pictures to me. My motto for websites is: K. I. S. S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid👍

• I think you need to stop making modifications and, in particular taking-away functionality. This site is becoming like when Facebook was its most annoying. Jesus fucking Christ, you people need to find a way to resurrect Steve Jobs and have him teach you how to make a great product instead of something mediocre.

Here's some reading for the beach:
    1. How Steve Jobs' Love of Simplicity Fueled A Design Revolution
    www.smithsonianmag.com/.../?no-ist
    2. The 6 Pillars Of Steve Jobs's Design Philosophy
    www.fastcodesign.com/.../the-6-pillars-of-steve-jobss-design-philosophy
    3. 13 Steve Jobs Quotes for Creatives and Designers
    www.slideshare.net/.../13-stevejobsquotesforcreativesanddesigners

• What changes did you not like?

• The #1 change that I do not like is the removal of age filtering. The #2 change that I do not like is the removal of the "remembered filter" on the Live Feed.

My time is valuable and a major way for people to save time is by doing personal data mining which means filtering undesirable information from desirable information. Each site change over the past month or two has increased the time needed to access information and react to that information.

• Mind allowing us to put myTakes in something other than sexual behavior and help?

• @menguc
    The only way right now to see popular questions (my favorite tab before) is to type manually http://www.girlsaskguys.com/POPULAR?t=questions

Like, seriously, guys: you have some weird obsession of removing things that weren't broken to begin with.

• The popular questions can be found by hovering over the "feed" tab on the top blue bar, and then clicking on "featured." Popular questions and myTakes appears there.

• And it just sends to a main page that looks like some kind of an instagram mess instead of a proper nice list like it was before.

• www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1581401-do-you-think-ages-on-polls-would-be-a-good-idea
    ^this please! :P
    Also, I think it would be useful if we could "bookmark" questions that we want to see opinions for but aren't interested in answering ourselves, so we can find them quickly later. It would be something like this:
    i.prntscr.com/4388e31237b1403e909599085ff75b5f.png
    Obviously, it would drop down and there would be a little "X" next to each question, so you can remove it easily :)

I'm probably thinking too much about this.

• Doffydood, thanks for the feedback... I've noted your feedback about poll results being diesplayed with age data.
      Also, you can actually bookmark questions by "following" them. You will see an orange icon (next to the Facebook, Twitter, Google+ social icons). This orange icon has the G@G circles in it. If you click on this icon you will start following that question. This is also possible with myTakes, just click on the same orange icon.
      You can view all the questions and myTakes you follow on your profile under "Followings". This way you can bookmark them and go back whenever you want. And also, you will see the new posts (updates, opinions, opinion comments) to questions and myTakes you follow on your Live Feed.
      If you filter your Live Feed using the "content" filter ("books" icon on your Feed filters) you will only see content from what you follow.
      Let me know if this helps.

• Ohhhh, I never noticed that before! I tend to ignore anything to do with social media, so I guess I ignored it. Now I feel a bit stupid for not seeing it before :P
      It's good to know that you're already ahead of me though!

• "Live Feed. Filtering is easier and much simpler now." Yeah, right! Not! the two icons (buddy and books) are not clear. there is no description when you hover over them. The fact that you have to describe them in this myTake shows that they are not intuitive. Just putting the hover feature there would improve that.

Removal of "excess" filters. To a large number of people, those filters were "essential". Removing them made using G@G less enjoyable to many. The age filter was definitely one as you can see by the opinions so far.

"Growth" and "evolution" can be good things. But they can be bad. And continual change is in itself bad because it keeps changing what one must know to properly use the site.

Want something to fix? How about the icon that shows you where the cursor is? When typing in an opinion or comment and you see a mistake, you should be able to go back and set the cursor (an "I" bar) where you need to go. Instead, you see a hand with finger extended, which is the icon for selecting a link. It has been that way for a while now and I figured you would have seen it weeks ago and fixed it. Now that is something that "needs" fixing.

• Hi Red_Arrow thanks for the feedback. The hover over "tooltip" on filters is something we are thinking about implementing. However, hover over actions only work on desktop, they are useless on mobile. So, we are trying to find a solution to this both on mobile and desktop.
      Regarding age filters; we looked at our stats. The usage of age filters is so minimal among the users that we think we can make that sacrifice to simplify the filters. There may be other options for users to filter by age. Filtering in the profile settings is an option. We are looking into that.
      The "hand" cursor is only on myTake opinion text box. On questions, it is the "I" that's being used. We'll fix this on myTake opinion boxes asap. Thanks for reminding us.

• @menguc

if you need a way to have a 'hover' info option thing for touch screens, make it so that the link you need more info for, you simply touch and hold until the info pops up. I don't know how easy or hard that would be to make it so, but it's an idea.

• "Filtering by age and post type was removed."

Oh yay, remove even more filters, what next, no filters at all? It's going to be sooooooo fun sifting through all the same posts and posts we've already replied to that other people keep replying to...

• When there will be update on chat box?

• Removing the age selection was wrong. I don't want to wade through all the age groups. Nor do I want to be forced to view all the my takes or featured questions. Both take way too much time, and are tedious to sift through. I am fast losing interest in the site thanks to these changes.

• Age filter usage was statistically so low that we decided to eliminate it from the feed to make it simpler for all. We may however implement age filtering through profile settings. This is an open ticket we have. Thanks for the feedback.

• Nuclear weapons usage is statistically low too, but it's not smart to get rid of them.
      Jesus Fucking Christ, think! Decisions solely based on statistics are often decisions that lead to historical errors... like "New Coke" or "Race Together". I do avionics software. The statistical probability of a bit flip from radiation as an aircraft is flying is statistically low - but we have to design for just that event. That's why you can fly safely with no airplane crashes due to "a blue screen of death" from a bit flip.

• True, and if you think so little of the average user here that you feel you have to dumb it down even further by taking ONE filter option away then you may as well fold up shop and call it a day, because kids that stupid or lazy really can't be helped (it is true that you can't fix stupid). Otherwise you are going to lose those of us here who are intelligent and trying to help them. And trust me, from what I've seen and read there are NOT many of us to spare. Please stop trying to invent a new mousetrap. The system was fine and intuitive to use as it was. Now, it's just a pain to use. I have stopped using the Feed feature entirely, and it probably won't take me much longer to get fully fed up and just leave. This is now the second major design change in just the TWO months that I've been a member, which is just ridiculous and too much. Please at least put the age filter back the way, and not hidden away in a user's settings profile where it has to be constantly accessed to be changed.

• Removing the popular tab was detrimental towards my experience, please include it back in, Thank you!

• You can view the popular questions on the Homepage (featured).
      Just click on the "Featured" link from the top "Feed" menu and you will see all popular posts in the same order as it was before. However, we are thinking of new ways to insert popular questions to the feed. We'll do more about popular posts don't worry. For now, as I described above please use the "Featured" (Homepage) view.

• Great changes, but now the mobile browser takes up more ram, so mobile site on low end android phones may face occasional lags.

• More from Guys
    5