I’m back – and so are the downvotes

It’s been a while since I’ve written one of these myTakes to let you girls and guys know what we’re doing with this latest update. For the past few months we worked tirelessly towards one of our main goals for the year: launching the GirlsAskGuys apps for iOS and Android.

Obviously we didn’t forget about the website or the amazing people who make this community so powerful. In previous updates we fixed a few bugs, made improvements to the tools you use to create questions and myTakes and made signing up and logging in to GirlsAskGuys a lot easier.

That said, for today’s release, we focused on two of the most common requests from you, our community:

There and back again

Celebrate, people. The downvote is finally back!!!

When we removed it, the goal was to try and make GirlsAskGuys a bit more positive but in the end, there is value in being able to let the community know whether or not that’s a good opinion and the downvote – or whatever you want to call it now – plays an important role there.

Gone, baby, gone

Another very popular request is the ability to delete a question, so we have enabled askers to remove their own questions. It was a very complex task and limitations needed to be put in place to make sure people wouldn’t abuse it and to preserve good content.

Having more control over your own content is something we believe is the right thing to do and this is the first new feature that will move GirlsAskGuys towards that goal.

Hello

Last but not least, a quick update on the apps.

The iOS app is already available in a few select countries in the App Store. We’re testing everything and gathering feedback to have a solid product before it’s available worldwide.

Our Android app is also almost there, with the final tests being conducted internally. It should become available very soon as well.

DiogoRibeiro is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 17

Will the disavow be back soon? Why delete any questions?

Thank you for this. I am glad you guys are listening. :) I actually don't care either way and I got used to it not being here. But you pleased some people so that's good.

However, can we please get rid of this closing questions nonsense? The update that you guys did a couple months ago was one of the worst ever. It would be nice to have us have the ability to close questions whenever we wanted at least. It's annoying having to close my good questions just to ask another and whatnot. :P

i0.kym-cdn.com/.../5c3.gif

I agree with this!

I agree with her too, closing is not necessary, it should be optional.

@Zorax I do think closing is overkill, it just shouldn't have appeared on the feed if it was that old. But whatever, it does solve a problem kind of

Interesting updates.

good timing

Take off the three question limit, please!

HALLELUJAH 😁

Great update! Thank you!

When is the follow function coming back? I found that function really useful but it's taking forever to get it up and running again.

That's on the pipeline as well. It won't take as long as the downvote. ;)

It's been gone just as long, if not longer then the down vote though...

Those are good news.
    I always wanted to be able to delete questions and now I can. And I'm glad there's a GAG app. I'm just waiting until it's available here.

Thank you guys.

In life we agree/disagree or like/dislike someone's opinions. That doesn't make the world more or less positive. It just means we all tend to have differing views especially on hot topics. People on GaG have always expressed the same in the comments whether there was an up vote or both the up/down vote option. I'm not sure why this downvote feature had to go in the first place because the community never became a shinning wonderful place in its absence. You clearly can't force people to be more positive inside of GaG or outside of it in the real world. If you want opinions on things, you have to expect that people are going to disagree with you or not like what you have to say. Glad the feature is back.

Lmfao. "We want to make GaG more positive but we won't remove negative content or actually punish people for the negative things they say even though the Terms of Use and moderation manuals say we will"

As far as the DV option: Are you guys going to make it so that people who are blocked can't dv an opinion or are the weird dv stalkers going to be a thing again?

Yay for no more is there an app questions though!

Hey Diogo... we welcome you and down votes back.. I don't usually down vote.. but I did miss the down votes I get on my own opinions.. and I almost down voted everyone here just for the fun of it.. 😂😂😂😂 all of those who didn't want it back can suck it and down vote me. 😂👎👎👎👎👎

I'm glad we have the downvotes again. They were definitely needed.
    I really can't wait for the Android app.

Could we have a feature to be able to upload images or gifs or videos to a comment or question we make instead of having to use a third party place that removes it after a while?

Praise Jibbers.

Thanks @DiogoRibeiro for the efforts. I think the down vote sucks and is unproductive, but whatever. It is what it is.

Now... can we work on that optional filter that we've heard about for filtering out anonymous questions?

media.giphy.com/media/aZ4sQUpybai5y/giphy.gif

Lots of people did want them back though

@CheerGirl38139 We deployed that fix a few days ago. I just double checked it and it's working as it should. That means that if you block someone, that person can't like or dislike your opinion. ;)

Thanks. Just realized that about an hour ago.

Well done.✌

Well I''m going to log in less...

congrats to those who wanted it back!

What Guys Said 19

my gag profile here dont sync with my phone. I needed a new profile.

I'd have to say, these are the updates the #GAG community has been wanting and waiting for... A looong time. But I'm glad, that the admins have made the effort to do this. Looking forward to the android app now.
    So, thank you for your hard work.

This is great! now people get to know who I downvoted.

Finally! Down votes! Time to actually show in numbers that I disagree with someone and so do others

Every down vote is valuable, it's like a trophy. :)

I'll be curious about the android app. I wonder if I'll be able to break it.

The downvote sucks... I don't know why you people want it back... oh wait, I do -_-

Great new update, I'm glad downvotes are back, but I'm still waiting for Follow Question/Take.
    As for delete option, I think edit question would be more practical function (because of some typos).

I hope this isn't like a Windows service pack

I was at first opposed to down votes, but I'm thinking its a good way to dismiss an opinion without having a pissing contest with the schmuck

Thank goodness. I hate sites that don't have a downvote.

Harray you guys are listening and you brought back the down vote. :o)

Thank you very much Diogo Ribeiro! I could seriously make a drawing of you and make it a shrine. You are a legend! I would form a new religion 😂.. But seriously, I might actually draw you and make it a MyTake.

Very nice, but. . . I'm still waiting for the question/take follow to come back

cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...5-8c96-3084de77c375.gif

It's coming too, man. ;)

Nice, admin is on a roll, you're on fire man. Next how about we get a link to the Turkish GAG so we can invade and ask them what they think about our countries?

Ha I can downvote people who blocked me.

Deduct ~50 Xper points so that xper lv 1 trolls cannot post offensive things and delete them again instantly.

Hope you'll introduce follow feature too.

Thanks and welcome back :)

You can't post a question and immediately delete it, man. Don't worry. ;)

"In order to delete a question, it must meet certain criteria..."

The question needs to be Closed so it can be deleted. And you can't close a question right after you ask it.

There's a minimum amount of time you have to wait to do that. We feel this is a good balance, but we're always open for suggestions. Thanks! :)

Then it's alright. No need. :)

So the iOS app is available in select countries? I gather that it isn't available in the US yet, right?

That's correct. We're testing in a few places to make sure it's ready for primetime before it's on the US App Store. :)

Can't wait for the app to come out!!!

Nice one! I know of at least one ex-GAGer that wishes she could have deleted an embarrasing question.

Not too bothered by the downvotes coming back. I guess I'll use it sometimes once I get used to it being there.

Looking forward to trying the Android App!

thank you guys... you rock

There will be a few happy campers on GaG today - Well done.