DON'T ask a question if you're not ready to accept views which DIFFER FROM YOUR OWN!

MyTake,

mini rant,

whatever.

This is actually becoming SO common on this site that I think people are missing the point of Girls ASK Guys -.-

DON'T ask a question if you're not ready to accept views which DIFFER FROM YOUR OWN!!!! -.- -.-

Before I go on, I'm all for having our own sets of values and beliefs and defending our opinion if someone tries to poke at it or shame it, but if one is actually making the move of asking the community for opinions, then we mustn't expect or assume that it'll run in our favour all the time.

e.g of what I'm trying to address:

Q: What do you think of.....?

A: Well, in my opinion, I think....

QAsker's comment examples:

~I disagree with everything you just said...

~Well FIRSTLY, you're wrong...

~You're so full of yourself...

~I don't think you understand me...

~But how?

~Why though?

~This doesn't make sense...

~Well I guess you're a close minded person then...

~Yeah right. You're just bullshitting...

~Don't try to play the nice girl/guy role here...

~You're a slut/asshole/messed up n%^&/bitch/ *insert other forms of colourful language*

~This is so invalid.

NOW I could go on and on. a lot of these are real, not just directed at me, but I've seen them around in several other opinions, i'd say 1 in 5 or 6 contains this kinda thing.

To those people who aren't open to discussing conflicting ideas, this site is gonna be hella difficult for u to deal with if u can't handle healthy debate.

Not everyone wants to argue because they've got nuthin better to do. If u wanna reach a CIVIL CONCLUSION, cool, let's respect each other's differences and talk like decent human beans:P

~j.B

justbanANNAz is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 36

• Yeah I am afraid there is a percentage just looking for an argument even if you agree with them they still jump down your throat.

• Well said. Some people want affirmation for their own thought processes, instead of being open to advice.

• Thanks for saying what we were all thinking, I on the other hand come here to dispense advice and help, chat and meet people and eat cookies.

• Some of these block everyone who has a idea that's different from theirs.

• TheDevilInside writes:
      " Well let me tell you this: You don't like my opinion, downvote me, then move the fuck on. Don't put down my idea because I WILL block you if I find you irritating enough."

He isn't the only one who never learned about the First Amendment..

• indeed. like some sort of defence mechanism.
      lol... gosh -.-

• AMEN TO THAT SISTER GIRL!

• hahaa the beans! xD that's not all that I took from this take :)

• Not to ignite an old flame but the second to last paragraph could be said back at you. You start a debate and then throw a small "hmp" when people put forward arguments that you don't agree with. And instead of countering them you respond with an "whatever".

This rant all in all is rather ironic.

• It is human and well. .. its the Web so it is to be expected.

• I think its sometimes the arrogance and lack of sympathy really.

I don't sugar coat, but I try to be respectful as possible, so they actually take my advice.

What I hate though is sometimes the superiority complex people get here. I actually want to discuss why they say what they say, try to understand, and most of the time, they don't support their reasoning, it's a "Take my advice because its from me and I know best"

I've told many people on here "you should do this, but be prepared of XYZ. not everything will go the way you want etc" Actual legit advice that outlines the possible outcomes of the decision I tell them, and leave it up to them. I never give the one sentenced answers you see a lot around here. It's clear and rational, and I say it in a way that doesn't disrespect them but in a way shows why I'm saying what I'm saying

But catch me on a bad day, and I don't behave so mature haha. Also I rarely ask questions on here, I do more answering. I fear too many trolls will answer my questions and my time will be wasted

• honestly, i understand where ur coming from and it's a great outlook to have. I'm sure ur answers come off as very respectful. i have tried doing this multiple times, but nothing is more irritating than giving advice thats so detailed and genuine than receiving a shut-down response such as the ones i listed. it's happened so many times, and u just get to a point where u feel, 'ok, this person just doesn't... get it.'

but again, it's good that u opened up another angle to these situations, so thanks.

• At that point I just don't bother lol.

So much time dedicated on gag arguing with people when I could have been in a date bwahahaha (no seriously) #introvert problems

• yeah same haha.
      LOL that is actually very sadly true. thanks for that=/
      :P

• HAHAHA I Love those people

• Good point. I put up a post about my frustrations of overly obsessed female dog lovers. Some people argued rationally others just blasted me with "you suck" right off the bat. I had a some good debates with the rational people. They brought up some points I hadn't yet considered. However the people who blasted me right off the bat... do you think they changed my mind? In way I laugh at them... because they proved the point I was trying to make.

• Yeah but this is all you do.

• Epic myTake. Looking forward to part 2.

• I agree, completely :)

• Says the girl who has written opinions, then immediately told people not to argue with them. And I've seen you call people names on a few occasions, that's only when I catch it before it gets removed.

This isn't a bad take, but you're definitely not the person to write it.

• unless ur watching my every move, id say ur not in a place to say that.
      ur taking my unwillingness to argue out of context. dont play smart because I'm not gonna do something and write a take against it. like seriously-.-
      sure i call people names if they provoke me to do so. pretty sure a lot of us do that. anyway, thanks for attempting to put me in my place but taking what i do on the site out of context isn't a smart method. try another one next time, mr anon. and next time, u can reveal urself instead of hiding like a coward behind ur anon mask.

• I'm surprised you haven't blocked me yet since that's usually what you do when confronted with differing opinions.

• haha yeah, u know me so well. i appreciate the flattery tho.

• I don't care if someone's opinion is different. What leads to stupid-stuff here is when people are too lazy to read the question they're responding to. I've gotten really catty and derogatory answers about what I wasn't even asking. The ones who actually take the time to read the question generally have more level-headed answers.

• Wow greatness.

• DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO

• You can't fix everyone and you can't fix stupid but you can try to fix hate with love.

• that is true. no hate here, just healthy discussion:P

• Somethings are never true except for Scooby Doo.

• Nice take

Add:

Don't MHO someone simply because they agree with you... cornball move

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 29

• Yes. I answered 3 Q's on this subject in less than 24 hours.
    I've been attacked for my own personal opinion.
    It's sad really.
    What do people expect? The whole world to agree with them and to hear what is socially acceptable?

• yeah i think iv even noticed one of those, and even tho it's not happening to me, sometimes i feel i just wanna intervene lol, but thas nunna mah business:P
      i do agree 100% tho.

• While you are correct in that, if someone asks a question, they should expect a wide variety of different responses considering everyone on this site is from all over the world and has different experiences, thoughts, ideas, etc. However, that also applies to you when you answer a question. Some of those bullet points you made ARE disrespectful and rude (name calling is never okay), however, others you mentioned are not nasty, it's just a person looking to further discuss the topic. If you answer a question and the QA says something like,
    -I disagree with everything you just said
    -why though?
    -but how?
    -that doesn't make sense
    -you're wrong because...
    -this is invalid

Those aren't the comments of someone who can't accept a differing opinion, those are the comments of someone simply challenging your view and wanting to discuss it. So, what I'm trying to say is, yes QA's should be open to different responses but when you answer a question, you should also be open to people disagreeing with your opinion and questioning it. That's how the site works, that's what promotes discussion and conversation.

• that's exactly what I was thinking. sounds like she is saying poster should accept what they say even if it dosent agree with poster. but the people who respond don't have to accept the fact that the poster dosent agree

• yeah i do the same.
      sorry for not clarifying

• No big deal :)

• I know exactly what you mean and I couldn't agree more some question sheets are close minded and unless you agree with them then basically it's "my way or the highway". They can't handle other people's opinions and many times the truth so why ask a question when you're really not looking for or you already have the answer that you want?

But at the same time I'm pretty opinionated and like to debate/show or convince people of my point of view however when I do that I will never shove my words down there throat or tell them that their is srong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I'm just always up for a discussion.

• yeah pretty much.
      c that's a good thing, u can be opinionated on your own terms but you also acknowledge the differing views of others. while at times i have unintentionally come off as offensive to other views, every time i make a mental note that i have to work on how open minded i need to be, and i think we should all attempt to just acknowledge other opinions without having to be swayed by them.
      ty for ur input xx

• Preach. I know I lack compassion most times but I am understanding of certain situations. If I agree than I agree but I'm by no means a yes man nor do I sugar-coat my words just so someone is more inclined to liking it. This site isn't about that it's about helping people, giving them new perspectives on life in general. Most times now a days if I even get a hint of thinking someone is whining or some kind of over entitled attitude I usually go about it by giving them I guess a bit of tough love. I see a lot of people don't like that. Does it mean I'll change my answer style? Nope. However since this is the Internet people are going to say a lot of things we don't all like and if it isn't blatanly offensive then so what? Get over it, we don't all know each other there's no reason to bitch because someone disagrees. I'm starting to think most people confuse the meaning of this site and are flocking here instead of going to actual office therapy or support group sites.

• exactly, I'm pretty much on the same page, which is why i wanted to increase awareness about it.
      thanks for ur input girl x

• Thats true. The whole point of GAG is for people to tell you their opinion, not to constantly agree with yours. Why ask a question or ask for advice on here if you aren't willing to be humbled in the first place?

• FINALLY!! man why ask a question if you are not willing to accept the answer!!

• This guy on here asked a question about Turkish Guys and if we think they're attractive. I said "they're handsome but not my type"
    He said "Turkish guys wouldn't like you either because you're ugly" then he called me a nigga and blocked me.
    Like dafuq? You asked for people's opinions. And I gave you my honest opinion. Just because you didn't like it you attacked me and blocked me.
    This is why I hate most people

• They don't want to hear the truth. They only want to hear what they want to hear. One girl said that she blocked people who's opinions differed from hers. Sometimes we don't like an opinion, but it is the truth or a valid way of looking at something.

• yeah i agree. i think blocking someone purely because of differing opinions is kinda like a defence mechanism.

• This is so true, it's really frustrating when people do it

• Amen.
    Also hate when people comment on a question changing the whole thing into something else... makes me want to reach through my phone & smash their fucking skull.. not even joking especially these whiney dudes omg.. but I digress..

• Thank Ford someone said this!

• The worst are the "Did I do something wrong?" then they explain what happened, people tell them that it is indeed their fault and they get offended, start insulting the ones who comment and then block them lol.

• I agree 200%
    sometimes i would ask the asker, whats the point of having a question when all you wanted is people agreeing with you.

and people should be participating in forum or site or even asking questions if they get butthurt over little things.

• certainly agreed!

• The truth hurts...

Great myTakes hun. Certainly agree with you on this!

• Also, sometimes I'm just here to voice out my thoughts. Not to debate with some people about it and ending up having to defend my opinion. Some people just don't get that. They poke their noses on my opinions, contradicting me, or saying something derogatory like "lol what a stupid idea" or "you don't know anything about...". Well let me tell you this: You don't like my opinion, downvote me, then move the fuck on. Don't put down my idea because I WILL block you if I find you irritating enough. I'm not here to debate and defend my views, I'm here to answer and voice out my opinions.

• You don't have to accept another's views but it's common sense to at least respect them. Unless of course, they're provokingly disturbing/disgusting/immoral/absurd/racist/sexist/degrading/etc. Then the asker deserves the shit storm coming to him/her.

• Oh THANK you! This basically just sums up my frustration with certain questions. hahaha.

• great mytake

• OMG thank you!!! I wrote a question a while back about whether people really ask questions for validation sometimes like about decisions they should make or if they were right or wrong. A lot of people come on here expecting to hear what they want and when someone tells them like it is especially if its something ridiculous and almost everyone disagrees they get offended and start saying stupid stuff such as you don't know me or you don't know us there is more to this story blah blah blah. We form out opinions based on what we are told.

• yeah pretty much. iv seen it asked around on the site a few times as well, but yeah disagreements dont sit well with some people=/

• Maybe they should just talk to themselves in the mirror then lol

• More from Girls
    9