How much should a man spend on an engagement ring?

I know it is usually the 2 month rule, but if not taking that into consideration, what is a decent amount to spend? How much do most average workers pay? How much did you pay and how much do you make?

Just wondering because my boyfriend and I went to pick out a ring yesterday and it is costing him 3k. I told him I would be fine with a less expensive one, but he said he wanted to get me something I really like and that had insurance on it for life.

Most Helpful Guy

• The most I would spend on my wife engagement ring is $10,000.00. That's all. No higher.

If I can find a really nice one, and something unique for less. I will for sure grab it. But I will not go higher then 10. But that's just my opinion. And I will not buy "designer" rings for her. She will get something very unique, that no other woman has. It just means more I feel like.

Some other guys might wanna spend more. It honestly depends on his budget.

• lol that's pretty dang high, any woman should be alright with that haha

• He's a keeper! lol.

What Guys Said 3

• It really depends on the couple: what you want and can afford. I don't think rings are a big deal but I was prepared to spend a lot at one point.

• I think the man should spend whatever he can save up and not go into debt over.

My wife got my mom's diamond, so I just paid for the setting. I think I paid like $400 for it.

• Engagement ring ? I give one cow and two goats to her father, and that's it !

What Girls Said 2

• It all depends, really. The ring is just a symbol of your commitment.

Personally when I feel like I'm ready to commit that deeply to someone for the rest of my life, the amount they spend on the ring doesn't matter.

I would be more than happy to tie a string around my finger for symbolism sake then to have the man of my dreams go broke or worry about "is it good enough".

• I think that depends on his income