The Benefits Of Being A Social Outcast

The Benefits Of Being A Social Outcast

-An outcast: Someone who has been rejected by society or a social group.

-Urban dictionary definition of social outcast: "A social outcast is somebody who is not involved in social events and spends way to much time doing a "hobby"..." (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=social%20outcast)

Being an outcast has many downsides. An outcast often feels alone or inadequate due to the rejection they face by their peers. However, being a social outcast can have some benefits.

Learning to be self reliant

Being an outcast leaves a person to fend for themselves for long periods of time with little to no contact with their peers. Being alone is a pretty shitty feeling, but someone subjected to it for years eventually learn how to be self reliant. They find creative ways to keep themselves occupied and they can go long periods of time on their own without much of an effect on their mood. Outcasts don't have other people to lean on, so they learn how to hold themselves up pretty well.

Refining hobbies

Since a social outcast has a lot of alone time, they have plenty of time to refine their hobbies. They're something to keep occupied with, and enough practice will make a person more skilled at the task. Gaining a well developed ability can give a major self esteem boost to anyone, even someone who isn't involved in society.

No plans, no planning stress

A social outcast has plenty of time on their hands. There's no need to stress about where they'll be going or who's going to come over that weekend. Alone time can give some great thinking sessions room to come about, thus new ideas will be formed (if the thinker doesn't dwell on too many troubling thoughts).

No need to dress up

A social outcast has already been basically kicked out of all social circles, so what's the point in putting on makeup or choosing expensive clothes? Although outcasts may feel the need to look flashy to gain attention, often times a social outcast will just give up and dress comfortably. This saves a lot of time in the mornings if you have school or work, as you don't need to spend as much time getting all fancy.

Increased creativity levels

A person left to their own devices often develops a sense of creativity in order to keep themselves occupied and entertained. A social outcast is one such type of person who has a high chance of having a creative mind set due to the basic isolation they feel. A creative person can come up with their own ideas and go their own ways in life, so a social outcast who gains this type of ability can go far in life in the future if they harness the powers of the imagination.

Becoming more aware of their surroundings

A social outcast goes throughout their daily business with little direct contact with other people. This takes away the distraction of communication, so a socially inept person has more of an ability to truly see what's happening around them. They notice the slightest change in a person's temperament, and they can detect odd things in their normal settings. This is a handy skill to have in life, especially in jobs dealing with customer service.

Learning to deal with other people kindly

Although some social outcasts turn bitter or just straight up mean, many of them learn true kindness. They gain the ability to be patient with others, and when they do manage to build a real friendship it lasts much longer than most other friendships. A social outcast endures years of being throw out of the social circle, so they use past experiences or the actions of others to make themselves better listeners and in general they try to avoid making other people feel the way that their peers have made them feel.

Original experiences

Many people are social outcasts because of something that has happened to them or that they've done. A social outcast has a different perspective than most people, as they're treated differently than most. Everyone has their own story to tell, especially the outcast who's story is trapped inside, since they have yet to find someone to share it with.

Being an outcast is still not good/enjoyable.

This post is not saying that being a social outcast is a good thing, and it's also not saying that these are true about all social outcasts. In fact, it can be a very depressing life to have to go through, and many people are bitter or sad due to the labels placed on them. I've simply noticed a few positive changes in my own character since being labeled an "outcast" by my peers, especially the more rich/popular people. I've gone under a major change since when I was young and had many friends, most of those changes for the better. This is just a list of a few of those positive changes I've seen in myself. Can any of you guys relate? Feel free to share your own experiences with being a social outcast, positive or negative, in the opinions, and I'll try my best to get back to you and relate to what you share.

lexythelou22 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

• Yeah that's true but that's not you you are popular.

• I have been one for years now and I don't feel any benefits whatsoever.

• Indeed, I agree, good Take :)

• I relate to all of this. I was a social outcast for all four years of high school.

• Yup no drama to deal with, besides you have to spend the rest of your life with yourself regardless... might as well learn who you are.

• Lol good my take
    Now I want to write one about The Benefits Of Being Dead. It would have some similarities with yours:

-No plans, no planning stress
    A dead person has plenty of time on their hands. There's no need to stress about where they'll be going or who's going to come over that weekend.
    Let your relatives plan your funeral

-No need to dress up
    A dead person has already been basically kicked out of all social circles, so what's the point in putting on makeup or choosing expensive clothes?
    Worms will eat you anyway

-Original experiences
    Many people are dead because of something that has happened to them or that they've done. A dead person has a different perspective than most people, as they're treated differently than most. Everyone has their own story to tell, especially the dead which stories are trapped, since they have yet to find someone to share it with.

Being dead is still not good or enjoyable

This post is not saying that being dead is a good thing, and it's also not saying that these are true about all dead people.

• I don't buy it. Nice try.

• Always in search of the next way to destroy their nature-given beauty, Western females have begun to dye their hair at alarming rates. This is a growing phenomenon in major coastal cities, where I’ve even begun to see it from the late-20s white collar crowd who should know better. The rebellious office types usually adopt something slightly more toned down, such as bright red or jet black, but for those who have to wear nametags and get paid by the hour, anything goes.
    Tuthmosis has touched on dyed hair as a major slut tell and Matt Forney has dropped serious wisdom on short hair, but I’ve seen this particular trend becoming more and more socially acceptable. It has to be stopped.
    In short, based on my extensive experience, a girl having hair dyed with a non-traditional color is a leading indicator of instability, mental illness, and an inability to function within a healthy relationship. Here are the five reasons you should steer clear of these damaged individuals:
    They're attention whores
    I’m sure they’re all highly dateable
    Nothing says “Look at me!” more effectively than flowing purple locks. These girls know that they’re cheaply drawing attention to themselves and revel in every drop, whether it’s a compliment from a limp-wristed orbiter or disgust from a man of value who spurns their Troll Doll aesthetic. Would you want to tie your fortunes to a woman who will mutilate herself just so strangers will look at her more often?
    2. They’re impulsive
    Nobody sits down to their desk, opens up a couple Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, takes a sip of their Americano, and decides to turn their hair neon green.
    The girl who makes the split-second decision to destroy her beauty is the same one who will suck multiple cocks in the Cancum foam party, or will give her anal virginity to swarthy European while her loyal boyfriend waits patiently at home; in other words, not the kind of person you want in your life for anything other than a casual (and well-documented) fling.

• They're Ugly
      As much as equalists bleat to the contrary, humans have hard-wired attraction preferences for the physical appearance of their mates. In the same way that we are uncontrollably disgusted with the sight of an obese person, our lizard hindbrains make a split-second judgment against women with dyed hair because unnatural looking hair (whether it’s short, falling out, or unnaturally colored) was a symptom of disease and infirmity in our ancestral habitat.
      Everyone knows this on some level, yet many still choose to defile their bodies. Why settle for a girl who willingly makes herself uglier just to court attention or make some tired “statement”? After all, a potential partner’s highest priority should be making herself more pleasing to you — one who eschews this for shock value is best left to her Hitachi Magic Wand.

• 5. They are all degenerate leftists
      I have never met a girl with dyed hair who falls on the conservative side of the political spectrum. They can usually be found complaining about misogyny or decrying the evil that white heterosexual men have done to society.
      Here’s one example. l go to a gym near the nightlife district of a major city. While I see tons of dyed hair freaks walking around the street outside the gym (both male and female), I almost never see people with falsely colored hair actually inside the gym and working hard to improve themselves. It’s almost as if they’re repelled by the thought of making themselves better.
      As many will tell you, appearance reflects ideology. If you’re dating a girl with dyed hair, get ready to witness some of the laziest, most self-serving, mediocrity-embracing behavior you can imagine. Even worse, enjoy being called a cis-centric homophobic dudebro shitlord when you express any opinion that deviates...

• ... from those handed down by her corporate or ideological Cultural Marxist overlords.
      I didn’t even mention how girls with dyed hair are significantly more likely to have borderline personality disorder or become irresponsible mothers, since I believe the point is clear: women with dyed hair represent the dregs of the dating market.
      If you are a high-value man, you will do your part to leave them rotting in the dustbin of the sexual marketplace.

• 1) I was wondering who was the author to the take.. I was expecting you the girl with delicious words..
    2) Seems like you are speaking by experience.. Have you been outcast?
    3) I agree on all the points.. I was never the circle of attention in school. And after school I have been a Lonesome Cruiser...

• I'm not a social outcast.
    I simply reject 90% of society.

• Been a social outcast since I was about 3 haha 19 now and I didn't even realise a lot of these things about myself until I read this and I can relate the nearly all of them! Going through school with no real friends and even then the ones that were real friends I wasn't that close to and didn't talk to them much. Really taught me how to do things on my own. Thanks for this post!

• Well i must admit being one did benefit me in that i read lot and learnt a lot on my own i know a lot about many things and can think clearer. but that was in the past i have many friends atm.

• None of this is true.

• If you read it you'll see that I labeled it as MY OWN EXPERIENCES.

• I know but I'm telling you that you always had these abilities and would regardless such as the power of being observant no matter how gregarious you'd have turned out.

You're selling yourself short using a negative state to attempt to justify the cultivation of your positive traits. But it is your path.

It just isn't true.

• None you wimps

• This is me, an outcast.
    You make some true points, but the big picture is your a nothing without any social interaction. Even if you have a talent from your hobby, are compassionate, self reliant, none of it matters. If your not out with people talking to them and meeting others your just a busy shut in with no social life, and that is depressing, trust me I know!
    You should always strive to be social, life is harder when your alone and creates many struggles couples or people with friends don't have.
    In my case im an outcast because people steriotype me and reject me because I'm not like them, and they find "different" weird and avoid me. Loneliness is just as bad as being broke, it's mentally/emotionally debilitating hence why people become bitter or hermits after a while, too used to being alone makes trying to be social scary.

• Maybe this is fine for a woman... but if a man is lacking social skills, he will have a very hard time getting laid and meeting women.

• My case in point!

• @ThisDudeHere Except that thi9 argument is not sound at all. It's all based off of your biased view as a male who apparently isn't getting laid. My own experiences show that an outcast female is in fact not desired by males. There's no way to come to any kind of "sound" argument to this because no matter what it is all based off of experience with gender biases. I find it odd how you think that me dressing up will make me desirable. it appears that your experiences with this have been with an attractive outcast female and less attractive outcast male, because I've never seen an undesirable such as myself become the desired. As stated before, you can't have a sound argument when the only arguments for this are gender biased.

• There's no need to base arguments off of only our experiences. Look at other people online - I have been on gag long enough to realize that there are far more desperate, lonely and miserable men out there than women.

• That's me!

Another benefit: You will wonder and think. You will consider philosophy and it will benefit your life to make it endurable. Eventually you will get used to it and the impact is almost non existent.

I am a social outcast veteran with 21 years of service.

• You realize the world sucks and society is messed up, when you find you don't need anyone but yourself you realize these things.

• @mrsingle That too! Humans are basically racing the world and it's environment into a destruction and there is nothing and nobody that can change it. So don't even bother and live on but know this.

• Sometimes it's better to be an 'Individual' then a sheep

• Lexy
    what you wrote i can fully relate to. i learned years ago that if someone doesn't like you for the person you are then they dont deserve to know you at all. trying to be someone you are not just to fit in will only make you more upset because you are not being your true self.
    when i was in school i didn't really fit in to any group but i hung out with the burn out ( kids that done drugs) just because they were the least judgmental of all the groups. i could dress the way i wanted, come and go with out being looked down on. yes i did try pot a few times well hanging out with them but i just wasn't in to the party seen so i got a job worked a lot, and stayed out of trouble unlike most of them.

• I do. I'm agoraphobic. I built a good life for myself. I own beautiful land, and have nice things because it's all for me. I eat well, have pretty much every material thing I want and usually good quality.
    I agree with most of your observations.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 16

• I think it's cool if you can be social enough to get what you need and want out of life.

• I concur... from personal experience.

• Yeah i can relate these

• i agree ! i've been a social outcast for around... 4 years now and it's helped me work on myself. now i can pursue friendships and all that without insecurity since i'm comfortable in my own skin and in my abilities :D

• Im also the exact same way, i can relate.

• Great take...

• I have considered myself an outcast, for most of my life.

Even if I am not an antisocial person

I just like interaction with people in the right amount and quality lol

Which means, I prefer to have fewer, but more meaningful interactions

It can be a bit draining to have to fake interest just for the sake of appearances

I am guilty of getting too tired of superficial interactions, too fast and that is why I am mostly alone. I am not able to waste my energy on that. I can do it for short periods of time, but t won't last.

• Free of hearing about some guy's coin collections that monopolized every lunch room focus for years b/c no one else had a life in grade school.
    Free of political pressure to vote for something totally BS in order for the seller to be popular or in command w/o need to have IQ nor reason
    Free of doing stupid things required to be in the social circle that becomes a monopoly of time/effort & certainly puts you in a pecking order that some want to compete with others to improve status.. hahaha & ugh

• I used to be kindof an outcast as well, and i still am a bit. At school I did talk with some of my classmates, and we would hang out sometimes, but I still never really fit in. Whenever we were cycling to school (4-5 people), they would always leave me alone and cycle right in front of me with 4 next to eachother. That really hurt me, and i told them a few times, but the next day they would just do it again. They acted like i didn't exist. That went on for over 2 years until there was a new girl. She was a COMEPLETE outcast but I already knew her since we went to the same elementary school. That was 3 years ago and right now we are bestfriends. I just comepletely dropped hanging out with those other people. At the syart we didn't get along much, we actually had quite a few arguments. But for some reason we stuck together aaand here we are:D

Whenever other people go out, I'd rather stay home working on my hobbys. I went out about two weeks ago. NEVER AGAIN. I hated it😂 I have a few friends next to my besfriend who are like that as well. They're the only people I can connect with (not that thats a bad thing). However, sometimes when I see pictures of people I know who went out I wish I could do that with my friends as well. But i know that I will never be able to get them to do thatXD

Don't get me wrong tho I'm happy with how things are:D

• more time to plan the murder of someone you hate and no one to realize you are a serial killer because they dont take the time to notice you

• Social outcast are normally introvert and day-dreaming people. They are not rejected people by society or anti-social people - they keep them-self away from normal social groups. Most of them have some art or skill and they are made for it. This inner sense of art or skill is usually different from normal social believes, and they do not want to explain their thoughts with every one. They have definitely some close friends - with whom they can share their ideas - without using much words. In most case just asking them about their skill or appreciating in some good words make them easy and friendly. They need some extra attention from their close ones. Actually they are much better people and their needs are very limited.

• There's always pros and cons

• no... being lonely is bad.

• I know exactly how you feel, and a lot of the above descriptions remind me of myself. I have found over time that music helps a lot with the lonely feeling. Maybe it's the noise, but I don't really feel so alone when I hear it. I have found this song to be particularly helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxIC6xXpQnw

• I agree with pretty much all of these... being a social outcast myself...

• I guess I have a lot of benefits! Thanks

• Well there are some benefits, but remember that even if you feel like an outcast, you can find people who will accept you eventually <3