Checking In? Here are 5 Of The Most Haunted Hotels In The World

“Hotel rooms are just naturally creepy places. ... I mean, how many people have slept in that bed before you? How many of them were sick? How many were losing their minds? How many were perhaps thinking about reading a few final verses from the Bible in the drawer of the nightstand beside them and then hanging themselves in the closet beside the TV?” – Stephen King

5. Banff Springs in Alberta, Canada

A luxury hotel that opened to the public in 1888 and dubbed ‘The Castle of the Rockies’ and had many guests throughout the years including Marilyn Monroe and Queen Elizabeth II but apparently some of those guests never checked out. Within the hotel is a missing room, the number 873 and legend tells of a man who checked into it with his wife and young child before brutally murdered them and committing suicide.

The room has since been bricked up but people who stayed in the room prior to its sealing reported violent shrieks in the night and chambermaids repeatedly found bloody fingerprints on the bathroom mirrors, the family are said to still haunt the hallway the missing room is said to be found on. As well as these poor unfortunates there is the ghost of the bellman who assists guests, a spectral barman who encourages those who’ve had a little too much to go off to bed and the iconic phantom bride. The bride is said to be seen dancing alone in the ballroom or to be climbing the grand marble steps upon which she broke her neck.

4. The Queen Mary in California, USA

Resting majestically in Long Beach Harbor is the RMS Queen Mary, a ship that was bigger, faster and more powerful than the famous Titanic. Once a grand ocean liner, cruise ship and even a troopship during the Second World War, the vessel is now a luxury hotel and museum that attracts thousands of visitors a year and some of the unearthly ones have decided to stay. One of the biggest hotspots for paranormal activity aboard the ship is the swimming pool in first class, which although is no longer utilized today and has been closed for three decades, the spirits seem to be completely unaware of that fact.

Women in 1930’s swimming costumes are seen wandering the decks nearby and wet footprints leading toward the changing rooms, despite a notable absence of water. As well as this, there is the ghost of a young girl seen with a teddy bear and a lady in a white evening gown. In Cabin B340 there have also been a lot of paranormal reports, however this isn’t available for rent any longer. Whether this is to do with the experiences that have been reported there or for very different reasons, is not known.

3. The Stanley in Colorado, USA

Known to be the inspiration behind Stephen King’s The Shining, The Stanley Hotel was opened in 1909 as a secluded mountain resort by Massachusetts couple F.O. and Flora Stanley. Though it has been many years since The Stanley’s have passed, it’s said that the couple never actually left with Flora herself reportedly still playing the piano in the hotel’s music room. Long time staff at the Hotel confirm to the existence of at least 4 other ghosts that roam the corridors, halls and rooms: Elizabeth, Paul, Eddie and Lucy. Elizabeth Wilson was the chief housekeeper during an early summer storm in 1911, was injured in an explosion as she was lighting the acetylene lanterns in room 217. To this day takes special care of room 217’s guests, possibly even Stephen King who stayed in that very room.

Paul worked at The Stanley from 1995-2005 and died of a heart attack. He is heard to be saying ‘get out’ in the after hours, though it’s not clear if he is speaking to guests or to the ghost of Flora who is playing her piano. Lucy wanders the concert hall, tampering with the lights and she lightens the energy and mood of the room where she lingers. Eddie is the resident ladies man, known to stroke hair and kiss cheeks and is a bit of a prankster who interacts with guests. While staying at the hotel Stephen King is said to have encountered a young child, though there were no children visiting at that time. Many guests have reported items moved, luggage unpacked, and lights being turned on and off, this place has certainly earned its place on the list.

2. The Grand Hyatt in Taipei, Taiwan

Despite appearing the epitome of modern opulence, the Grand Hyatt has a dark past hidden behind the glamour. During the Second World War, the area where the hotel now stands was a prisoner of war camp and cemetery for those who were executed there and is said to still be haunted by those poor souls. Unlike the other hotels on the list, the Grand Hyatt does not capitalize on the gruesome horror of its past but it does not ignore it either.

During development of the building, feng shui experts were called in to help bring peace to the place; calligraphy scrolls were installed in strategic places to ward of spirits and if you visit you may notice the many amulets, wind chimes and religious texts to keep its otherworldly residents at bay. Don’t believe me? Just check Trip Advisor to see the many reviews from guests who’ve noticed an eerie presence. It’s even rumored that Jackie Chan encountered an apparition during his stay here and rapidly checked out at 3am, refusing to ever stay here again.

1. The Langham in London, England

The Langham is a luxurious 5 star hotel built in 1865, boasting nearly 500 rooms and suits it is often referred to as the ‘original grand hotel’. With a number of ghostly apparitions said to roam the halls, even some staff at the hotel avoid the third floor altogether and the infamous room 333 is said to house a ghost that once shook the bed so hard, the guest sleeping in it ran out of the hotel in the middle of the night. Some of the most famous specters include a silver-haired Victorian gentleman said to be a doctor who murdered his wife before killing himself on their honeymoon, he can be spotted in room 333 but only in the month of October.

Another is that of the German Prince, with closely cropped hair and sporting a military style jacket, it’s said he leapt to his death from a fourth-floor window and is frequently seen during the early morning hours walking through doors. It’s said that he’s the most active of their ghosts and he also has a penchant for room 333. As well as these, there’s the terrifying man with a gaping wound on his face who tends to stick to roaming the hallways, the bed tipper of room 333, the butler with holes in his socks and even Napoleon III (He was the first President of France to be elected by a direct popular vote) who likes to hang around in the basement.

Have you ever stayed in a haunted hotel room, have any good ghost stories of your own? Comment below!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 8

• Nice :)

• This is a really great take.
    Keep it up :)

• Wow... well anyways, for those that are going to check on those places, I think you guys should bring something an EMF detector like this one and see if it reacts to any "paranormal" activity:

media.tumblr.com/.../...line_mlhhejnHjQ1qz4rgp.jpg

Oh, and uh, bring SALT, lots of salt. Who knows, if they are actually real maybe Salt does work against them ghosts.

I doubt you'd be able to bring something like a shotgun loaded with "Rock Salt" pellets to those places so you may have to come up with something similar to improvise.

Oh and uh, bring something made of iron, or wrought iron, I think that might help with any of you skeptical and adventurous ghost hunters.

If you ever do see them ghosts, tell them I said hi! Never thought you casper wannabes would ever come around, what took you all so long, throw some one liners at them. But always be ready to reach for the salt and or iron.

Better yet if anyone can actually debunk and invalidate that any of those so called paranormal and ghost encounters. Could be just really nothing, or perhaps start looking around those hotels and see if you find something like a sigil, specifically a "Tibetan Tulpa" sigil. That could possibly be the culprit to all these "paranormal" activities and "ghosts".

• I would like to spend a night with you in one of those hotels.

• I wanna book room 333!!!

Maybe!!

• Thanks for the list of 5 hotels to NOT EVER go to.

• Glad I could help! You never wanna encounter something a bit spooky? 😱

• @myTake Owner yea like come to my basement if u wanna c dat shit xD

• Interesting article, I love ghost stories, fantastic Take :D

• I've been to the Queen Mary! :D

And I love your quote from "1408" at the top! I've actually been to the Hotel del Coronado in the San Diego, California area, which is one of the inspirations for "1408". It is also said to be a haunted hotel. It is beautiful in person though. Unfortunately I didn't get to explore much inside, but I remember the lobby looking very luxurious and nice lol.

www.tsilliman.com/.../...onado-Beach-at-Dusk-2.jpg

The movie adaptation with John Cusack is actually my personal favorite horror movie of all time, lol. That was one of the movies I left out of my movie list on your other MyTake --- couldn't really see myself recommending to general audiences that it's a movie everyone should see before they die, lol --- BUT I personally love it. :D

• I have yet to see that movie so I'll add it straight to my list of viewing! Glad you mentioned it here so I could get it recommended. How cool to have been to those places! I'm jealous :D

• Oh I almost forgot to mention, then, that there are actually 2 versions of the movie, lol: the "Theatrical Cut" and the "Extended Director's Cut". xD I would definitely recommend the Director's Cut; it's a little bit longer, fleshes out more of John Cusack's character's backstory (which gives a few pre-existing scenes more sense, and gives a few new scenes that give the story more dramatic meaning), AND the endings are very different. In my opinion, the Director's Cut is definitely the one to choose if you can. :)

• I will definitely go for that one then! :)

What Girls Said 15

• Great my take. It's good to know I am not the only one who likes the paranormal. About a few hours from my house there is a hotel named Goldfield Hotel that is haunted by the owners mistress. It's said she confronted him for child support, for a while he paid her a ton of money to shut her up. When she couldn't hide the pregnancy, it's said that the owner lured her into room 109 and chained her to the radiator with food and water. Some people say she died in childbirth others say she was murdered by the owner and the baby was thrown down a mine shaft. People say she haunts the hotel by crying for child and is always seen in a long white flowy dress with long unkempt hair.

• Wow that's so spooky 😱 I love stories like that too, it combines true crime with the paranormal just to make it extra creepy!

• Super cool. :) I love creepy stuff.

I like your list a lot. Steven King is right, hotels are definitely strange places. You'll never know how many people have slept in that bed before you and who they were. I would add Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, USA. I've read a story about it over here http://www.hotelyouwant.com/, it sounds very scary... There's a creepy story about 100-years ago mysterious death of Kate Morgan. This girl was found shot in the head on some steps leading down to the beach. Suicide? Perhaps. But women soul is still noticed in the hotel, especially in room 3327. The TV turning on and off, pipes jiggling, and water faucets switching on and off at random... Why? Nobody knows...

Ooh that sounds really creepy! I'll have to check that out! I'm glad you liked my list :) I'm thinking of doing another

Yeah, it is. I was reading it yesterday during the night and I was shocked...
      by the way, sorry, link is inappropriate. Here's a normal one http://www.hotelyouwant.com/

Great, thank you :D cool stuff!

• Love this, i've always wanted to stay at one lol

• Me too, It would be so creepy and interesting. Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading 😄

• I once tried to dress as a ghost hoping I'd catch myself a Winchester Brother :P

• I want proof of life after death

• Don't we all! I'm not saying definitely that they exist or that I believe in them, I just like a good paranormal story tbh :)

• Great take... also the Myrtles Plantation in Louisiana is supposed to be very haunted. It was on TLC. I'm staying Halloween weekend there this year.

• Omfg i love this kinda stuff

• Cool I'm gonna go check them out.

• Oho I would spend great time there with my friends!
    I can imagine what it would be like to tell scary stories at night in those hotels, haha

• I have never been in a haunted place but thank you for sharing this. I would like to go to one of those places. I have never seen a ghost either.

• Cool stories, it makes me wonder... very good mytake :)

• Nice take, but I never had any experience like this before.

• MORE TOPICS LIKE THIS!!! 😁 💓 *💖

• Glad you enjoyed it! I'm definitely itching to write more takes like this, thank you for reading! 😍👌❤️

• Your welcome! Can't wait to read the next one ! 😝

• I would check in