4 Things That Will Make Me Lose All Respect for a Person

1. Abusing Animals

It takes a special kind of monster to get their kicks off of hurting pets. When kids do it, its often a sign of a future serial killer for a reason. I've fostered English Springer Spaniels for the New England English Springer Spaniel Rescue and I've seen what happens to these dogs and luckily we always find them a home. I've seen some cases of abuse that are utterly heartbreaking. I remember one time while I don't remember what happened to the dog I remember thinking, If I ever find out who hurt this animal they will regret it, I must have been like fifteen but it made me so fucking angry. Don't hurt your pets on purpose. They are family.

2. Abusing Humans sexually or otherwise.

It also takes a special kind of monster to get their kicks from hurting people. These are peoples lives you are fucking with solely for your personal enjoyment, if you put every domestic abuser, every rapist, every child abuser in the same room, locked it, and set it on fire, the world would be a MUCH better place. What makes me even angrier is that most of the time the people being abused are the abusers 'loved ones.' I use quotations because thats not love. That is an act of violence. Its the ultimate act of betrayal.

3. A lack of sympathy for the less fortunate.

There is too much poverty in the world. Their are too many people struggling for basic needs. I'm not saying go out and donate all your time and money but you should at least have some goddamn sympathy for your fellow man. It doesn't matter that they are poor. It doesn't matter that they are a different color, it doesn't matter that they are LGBTQA all that matters is that they are a human being. They have dreams, they feel pain, they have a soul all just like you or I and we should definitely feel sympathy for them. I'm not very well off financially and in fact I've had to take a semester of college off for financial reasons but I donate to the local food bank because i can do that to help.

4. Being Willfully ignorant

There are people in this world who are ignorant out of a genuine lack of knowledge and understanding. This is not those people. Those kinds of people I don't have a problem with. Its not their fault. No I'm talking about people who just outright reject science and compassion not because they don't understand but rather they do understand on some level and just disregard it because it doesn't suit their world-view. That is willful ignorance and it is a horrible horrible thing.

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 20

• 16d

... My list of things that would result in losing respect for someone would be basically be a reworded version of what you've listed above. 👌

Very well put. I could not agree with this take more.
    I have a friend who is much like what you described for point 4, and it drives me up the wall! She pretends to be naive and innocent just to suit her, even when she really isn't at all.

• 14d

This was beautiful...

• 14d

I share your views, too, and I couldn't help but relate most of these to veganism lol.

• 15d

Although no. 1 and no. 2 are heinous to the greatest extent possible, it's important to recognize that even *those* things serve a role, in terms of social cohesion.

Specifically... The presence/occurrence of unimaginably horrible shit BRINGS PEOPLE TOGETHER, to FIGHT it -- in a way that just doesn't happen otherwise.

I mean, think about community responses to things like natural disasters.
    When some town is ravaged by a hurricane/earthquake/tornado, people come together and interrupt their own lives to "pitch in" -- even if they weren't victimized themselves -- to an extent that NEVER otherwise happens in day-to-day life.
    Usually, the **long term** result is a stronger, more "aware" community. There are exceptions, of course (in which total devastation occurs and the community just *can't* recover) -- but, for the most part, the long-run result of these horrible disasters is a net positive.

Similarly -- When psychopathic people wreak havoc on *their* communities... The **long term** result is, often, a greater sense of togetherness, solidarity, and awareness of certain problems/solutions.

Obviously, this doesn't make tragedies less tragic. Nor does it make heinous crimes less heinous. But... in a place where *nothing* awful ever happened, people just wouldn't really come together, because they wouldn't have any REASON to come together. They would become atomized and disconnected from one another.

On a larger scale, this is the same reason why everyone calls the WWII generation "the Greatest Generation".
    What BROUGHT OUT all that greatness? The unimaginable fucking horrors of two world wars in three decades, that's what.
    That generation wasn't any greater than any other generation... they just faced a much, much bigger pile of shit, and so their greatness simply had the chance to EMERGE.

Same thing is true on an individual level, too.
    I know that you, personally (OP) are fighting depression. I also know it's hard to look at the long-run right now, no matter how much people might encourage you.
    But...
    Having been there myself, lemme tell ya:
    Most people don't understand the parts of themselves that lurk in crisis situations, or behind tragedies, or in other kinds of extreme situations. In an emergency, MOST people have NO IDEA what they'll do, or even **who they are**.

But... YOUR situation, right now, is a lot like facing any other emergency or crisis.
    It's fucking tough right now... it is. But, when you eventually get to a better place, you'll

• 15d

be MUCH better equipped to deal with *future* crisis situations and emergencies -- because you've already spent so much time getting to know who you are, in those kinds of situations.

In the future, you'll be able to navigate, without falling apart, through situations that will absolutely break other people -- BECAUSE of what you're going through NOW.

Keep yr head up dude. Fight on. Make it to tomorrow. Repeat.

<3

• 15d

100% Agree!!!

• 16d

I looked at my the pictures but didn't want to get totally depressed on a Friday night reading the details. All I'll say is... I totally agree. 💟

• 16d

i agree with this list. it takes a certain kind of person to have just one of these characteristics, let alone all of them!!!

• 16d

Definitely agree with the points you listed. Nicely written!

• 16d

I actually enjoyed reading this and I respect you for what you wrote. I am the same way people should never hurt someone. :-)

Great Take !! I think exactly the same.

Scum of the Earth.

It's a shame that religion causes so many people to be willfully ignorant.

The last picture is of Martin Luther King Jr. and you blame religion?

Just because King was wise does not mean that all those who call themselves religious are.

Agreeed!

This is definitely true. I know some ignorant people who just refuse to accept the truth of any given situation, and don't seem to understand what happens in the real world. There's so many of them, and they annoy the crap out of me.

Yes I agree on all points. One would have to have a large lack of empathy for all 4.

Yep same

All of these are true for me also

Ya Same for me

These are the same things that make me lose respect for a person, good take.

What Guys Said 10

• 16d

Yes. Couldn't agree more.

• 16d

Me too. I hate those people.

I would add another one. Being a dishonest person.

Couldn't agree more.

Great take

This take should be renamed "i want female attention"

1. Agreed!
    2. Agreed!
    3. As someone, who is still dealing with poverty, do you expect me to talk and care about those, who are in deeper poverty than I currently am?
    4. Ehhhm... I'm confused here. The only thing that comes to my mind is religion but I do not judge people for that... unless they take it too far and interfere with me with it.

What's with all the waffle profiles?

I don't know,
      I was the first though so I guess its just the same thing as the banana profiles, I'm a trendsetter

I don't like judgmental, dogmatically opinionated people.

Oh lord... animal abuse. I'm not generally a violent guy and I never plan to hit a woman.. UNLESSSSSS... I just hate animal abusers with a fierce passion.