The Thing About Life Is, You Have to Appreciate It

The thing about life is that it's so many things. It's fragile. It's love and hate. It feels predictable, when the truth is that it's not. We feel like life is a script that we act out, day to day, and sometimes something unusual will happen. Then we ride our waves of emotions to the next day and the next, until suddenly we are out of time.

Something struck me today about life and time and it wasn't something I had ever really thought about. I was reminded of a picture I saw a while back that said "there was a day that your parents put you down and never picked you back up". Something about that hit me too hard lol. It's such an obvious thing, but something about it hit me.

I connected with it on the subject of time in general when I was petting my dog Tito. Tito has an issue with wanting to run free any chance he gets. He's escaped probably 4 times in the 3 months we have had him. But he always comes back... We do look for him, but if we can't find him, we trust him to come back, and he always does.

As much stress that puts on me and how much I dislike that about him, I take his return for granted. He comes back but what about the day he doesn't? The thought that struck me was that there is going to be a day, whether it's 10 years from now or 10 minutes, that I won't have him anymore. That really hurt to think about but I wanted to think about it because I don't want to hold anything for granted. Because no matter what, life will take a turn and I will lose something. It won't be with me forever.

We act as if we are entitled to having someone or something in our life. I don't want to live like I don't care if I lose someone. I just want to live understanding how uncertain life is and appreciate what I have around me, because it can be gone in a second.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

• 2d

4Good post

I did not really read your my take but I agree that we should be more thankful. It helps us be more at peace.

so nice... :)

What Guys Said 2

Awee this is so nice :)
    I adopted a cat too. He runs away every day. I trust him he will come back and he does. There are like 4 dogs on the streets with a dangerous cat and a lot of monkeys who could kill him, but luckily he always comes back. I found him in my basement. His mother passed away on her way so, all of the kittens didn't get any food or even a drop of water for about three weeks to a month. We used to hear meowing in the house but didn't find them out till we searched the basement. Two kittens were dead but two were still alive but extremely scrawny.

Dog = Best life partner