Some of My Thoughts, Post Election 2016

Maybe no one will read this. That's okay. I know social media is SATURATED with angry people shoving their woes or triumphs down the throats of all their friends and you're tired of seeing it. I'm tired of seeing it. Although, I felt like I need a space where I'm not going to be called a racist or bigot or an over-dramatic sympathizer. As I woman who did not vote for Hillary or Trump, I feel like I can see the middle ground in all of this and need to voice what I feel post-election. So, here goes:

1. I am sick of people saying that Trump voters are racists, bigots, xenophobes, homophobes, etc.

Do some of his followers fit into some of these categories? Sure. I'm sure some of Hillary's followers fit into these categories too, but that's not the point. Why do you think the polls got the election wrong? I'm willing to bet it's because a lot of people were scared to say that they were voting for Trump. Why? Because they knew that they would be immediately categorized as all of the above stereotypes if they made their vote known.

Maybe they voted for Trump because they feel like the government is abusing their tax money. Maybe they voted for him because they cared about the future Supreme Court nominee. Maybe they were just poor blue collar workers who thought that a businessman would help improve their economic state. Whatever the reason, they shouldn't be automatically thought of as the scum of the earth.

2. On that same taken, Trump supporters need to stop assuming that the fear that LGBTQ, minorities, and women feel is unfounded.

Things that Trump has said and some of the support that he stirred up certainly portray sentiments that are threatening to these groups. They feel scared and they are completely justified in doing so. Take a moment to place yourself in the shoes of those groups and then think of the animosity that Trump has stirred up (through his campaign) towards these groups. It would make me feel unwanted, uncertain about my future in this country, uncertain about the rights/privileges of the future, etc. Let's all try to understand where we are all coming from.

3. Stop rioting in the streets.

I say "rioting" because that's what I mean. Protesting is fine. Spirited protesting is great and is backed by our Constitution. Looting and burning the buildings of your fellow citizens is not. Have an ounce of class. Rioting only diminishes the value of the point you are trying to bring. Instead, I just start to think that you are horrible citizens for the way you treat your community.

4. The electoral college is here to stay.

I'm sorry that it wasn't reflective of the popular vote this election. Usually the electoral college and the popular vote match up. However, the founders of the Constitution put it into the Constitution for a reason. It allows unique struggles that are correlated with geographical areas to be heard. The struggles in CA, NY, and IL (which are predominated by urban/suburban) areas are not the same as the struggles in WV, AL, and ND.

The president is not just the president of CA (where Hillary won by 2.5 million votes). He/she is the president of all of us. More than that, I can't foresee a situation where the electoral college is overturned. You would need a 2/3 majority in each house of Congress as well as 2/3 of the states to approve amending the Constitution. With the current system allowing small states to have a larger voice, they'll never overturn this phenomenon.

5. Secession is unlikely and is jumping to conclusions.

None of us know what kind of ruler Trump will be. I hope he succeeds. I hope he makes this country better. I think every American should hope that. With that in mind, it seems outrageous to me that people in California are trying to secede from the union. Can we take a chill pill please? If he is really awful in office, then start having that discussion. But my gosh, he hasn't even taken his first day in office.

6. Unity comes from peaceful discussion.

We as citizens need to work on hearing each other and trying to understand different perspectives from our own. Let's start having discussions. Let's not rip each other's throats out. When we talk and listen, we are displaying humanity. That is what is going to get us through this. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of it yet.

Cheers,

EsM

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 3

• 23d

Lots of sound logic in there

• 24d

Agree! As for #2 the media has done such a good job fear mongering and misquoting Trump it is hard to reassure these people that a lot of what they think about Trump has been blown out of proportion. I have been trying to reassure many of them, but they don't want to hear it. If you have any advice on reassuring them I'd love to hear it.

• 23d

Well I think the first thing to find out is what the people you are talking to are specifically worrying about. Although there are some general things to assure them of:
      1. Trump in his career has said that he is pro choice and has been a moderate
      2. There are checks on the executive branch. He actually doesn't have that much power other than vetoing bills from Congress, nominating justices, and being an ambassador.
      3. The country that we live in is the same one that it was before Trump's election. Many of us love our diversity and will fight for it.
      For specific groups:
      If its LGBTQ+ rights, then assure them about the supreme court. Tell them that the justice who wrote the supreme court opinion for legalizing gay marriage was a "conservative" judge. Scalia was also on that court. So Trump's appointment won't likely change the decision.

Pro-Choice- A group of conservative justices are the ones who passed it in the first place.

• 23d

Ok I will try it. Hopefully it works.

What Girls Said 4

• 23d

good points

• 3d

thanks for sharing your thoughts

• 21d

I completely disagree with #4. "He/she is the president of all of us." Really? If our problems are equally represented then why is that people in cities don't have much say compared to people living out in the countryside?

• 20d

My point is that CA overwhelmingly voted Trump. However, CA represents one culture, way of living, standard of living, etc. The unique struggles of CA residents are not those of the automakers in Detroit or the coal miners in rural west Virginia. The electoral college helps to promote state sovereignty. So, while each state has the power to give their electoral college number to one candidate, the people of one or two states aren't allowed to swing the entire election.

• 20d

... using the popular vote.
      If you want to argue that the EC weighs some voters votes higher than others, I would say that you're correct. I would also say that the same is true of the Senate. The senators from smaller states proportionally get more power than those from bigger states (think Rhode Island has 2 senators just as CA does).

• 20d

Additionally, I'm someone who is directly affected by this disproportionate vote. I am from a state where one party almost always wins by a substantial amount. So, even if my state outvotes the other party by a large margin, my state is still only giving our EC votes and no more.

• 24d

I am jeb bush. What do you say to that?

• 23d

I would say that I wish he had been the nominee. But that is neither here nor there.