Don't Tell Me To Smile, I'll Frown If I Want To

I've heard it time and time again, that I look way too serious.

Why should I have to paint on an acceptable face for the world?
Do I always have to walk around smiling from ear to ear?

Do I always have to look as if I haven't a thing on my mind?

Do I always have to look as if I'm in a good mood?

Why is showing any emotion other than happiness unacceptable in this world?

When I'm walking down the street,

It's no secret to the world that I am absorbed in my mind, my body, my soul and my thoughts.

Just a second ago, a complete stranger whispered to me that I should smile.

Why "should I?"

Last time I checked, I am human and happiness isn't my only emotion.

Humans are supposed to feel.

We are supposed to show.

Ignoring what's going on inside of you and constantly trying to cover it up

because that's what the "world wants to see", only makes the outcome worse.

You aren't in any way dealing with the feelings that are very real to you.

Why should I have to pretend?

Why should you have to pretend?

Acknowledge what is felt.

I choose to let myself hurt when I am hurting.

I choose to let myself feel angered when I am angry.

I'm sorry if this face isn't what is acceptable but I cannot hide my emotions,

I'll let them show.

You should too.

Stacyzee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 13

• 9d

Good point, and I respect your feelings, but a woman like you is too pretty to frown.

• 10d

Its not your birthday but you can still cry if you want to

• 10d

*tight hugs* been there, done that. Door is always open if you need.

• 4d

Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone.

Keep smiling. And do come up with more such writeups even if you are upset.

• 5d

nice

• 5d

For some reason I just imagined someone shouting
    "YOU'RE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD! I CAN DO WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT"

• 6d

Gotta love how black women like to be bellicose and obnoxious all the time, and then complain about "society" supposedly making white women out to be more attractive.

• 5d

What does race have to do with anything here? Stop being a jackass. Oh wait you can't, it's impossible.

• 7d

You are not obliged to smile if you don't want to. If you want to frown you should go right ahead. But I'm sure people just want to see your beautiful smile is all.

• 9d

smiling makes you feel better, and people don't literally mean you have to smile because they said so. They're just trying to help you cheer up if you are down.
    I get it can get annoying though.

• 5d

Smiling doesn't make me feel better. It does nothing to improve my life , it's literally just a facial expression and that is all.

• 5d

Well I'm not talking about individuals, but as a whole your self-imposed facial expression can have somewhat of an effect on your mood.

www.scientificamerican.com/.../

• 10d

I don't tell people to smile, but understand that some guys see you look sad or serious and wis you could be happy. At I would lol. I see a nice girl who is sad and wis she could feel happier because she desevers to.

• 10d

They say it takes fewer facial muscles to smile than it does to frown. So I'll give my face a good workout.
    vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

• 10d

I exactly feel what your talking about. I wonder how many people go around with a fake smile.

• 10d

Sometimes I feel obligated to put a smile on my face just for other people.

• 10d

I'm sorry to hear that hun, I've been there i know how you feel... if you need to talk about anything my inbox is always open

• 10d

Thanks <3

But realistically, no one feels just "one emotion".
      I don't understand what's so wrong about looking serious when you're walking to the store.
      I think I'd look odd if I were smiling for what seemed like no apparent reason.

• 10d

i understand completely <3

What Girls Said 6

• 7d

YES! I hate when people tell me to smile.

Like, bitch, no, BEHOLD MY FROWN! Bow to it!

Damn it.

• 7d

I hear people say this all the time too. I think you should just give them a big smile and then ask them if they like that you're smiling for no reason. Then they'll feel stupid.

• 4d

good share

• 4d

Just saying there have been studies done that have shown smiling is known to have great health benefits

• 4d

Smiling only has health benefits if you're generally a happy person not if you're faking it

• 5d

good point

• 9d

I think it's more so people want you to be happy than it is them wanting you to hide your emotions.

• 9d

Looking happy is different from actually being that way.

Someone can appear to be the happiness person in the world because they are always smiling, really that doesn't tell me that they are.

• 9d

I understand, but the intention behind people telling you to smile is a good one. Anyone could pretend to feel anything, and your genuine emotions are nothing to be ashamed of. I just think it's not something to feel upset about, people just want you to be happy not subscribe to an "expectation" they have of you.