Things You Learn Living Alone

Things you learn living alone

As we all know, we are gonna move out of our parents’ house eventually (hopefully). It’s super exciting, at least for me it was. However, there are certain things that I definitely wasn’t ready for. It might be because I was a very privileged kid, but I thought I’d share anyway.

Houses make noises

You probably know this already, even if you still live at home. However, the weird noises that the house makes get exponentially more creepy when you’re living there alone. I never knew that fridges made weird sounds, until I moved to my tiny apartment where my fridge is like 2 meters from my bed, with a paper-thin wall in-between. It’s equally creepy when a drunk neighbor accidentally hits your door at 2 am.

You can never forget your keys

And by never, I actually mean never ever ever. It happened to me once, and it was enough to make me remember forever. When there’s no one home, and you know nobody’s coming, it really sucks to be stuck outside in winter without a key (no, I don’t have one under the doormat, I’m paranoid). My building thankfully has a reception, and lucky enough they were still there to save me. If I had been a bit later, it wouldn’t have been that chilled.

The horror of cleaning

This one might apply only to me, since we had a cleaning lady when I lived with my parents. Once I moved out, I realized how much of a bummer it is to have to dust, vacuum, clean windows, do laundry etc etc etc. And by far the biggest inconvenience for me was having to do the dishes. This was probably due to the fact that as a privileged white girl, I have never before lived in a house without a dishwasher. Also, decent cleaning products cost a shit-ton.

Food

I very well remember the good old days when I would come home to school and mommy was waiting for me with an awesome hot meal. Well, now when I get back from school, tired, cold and hungry, I open the fridge to find out that I have one egg, moldy cream cheese and a cucumber. Having to actually make an effort if you want to eat was not that great, but fortunately I got used to it very quick. I even enjoy cooking now (who would have thought).

Paying bills

Rent, phone, electricity, internet, bus pass…. There are suddenly so many things that you have to keep in mind. You need to have enough money to not starve in the end of the month, but at the same time your payments can’t be late, cause those bastards are gonna fine you the first chance they get. For me, money isn’t really an issue (thank you daddyyyy), but having to remember and organize all this stuff is stressful enough.

I realize I have it easier than most, and that having to do all this while studying AND working is like a million times worse, I’m just sharing the struggles I know from my own experience. Feel free to add anything :)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 13

• 8d

True hahaha I also hate doing the dishes. I live in a studio right now and cleaning the house isn't much work cause it's small, but man, I hate cleaning the dishes, even if it's just a plate and a fork... still a pain in the ass. Worst chore ever.

I love cooking, so that's a bonus, but I can relate to the almost empty fridge. I like to go grocery shopping once a week, so usually by the end of the week, my fridge is empty, except for the bottle of bbq sauce XD

But I love living alone. Sure, it's more work, but that feeling of having your own place where you can do whatever you want is such a great feeling.

• 10d

Right on. It takes time getting used to. I always create a list (like a calendar) of things I have to finish each day, week, and month. I keep it next to my dining table so it's in plain sight. And think about how I will organize my week while I eat.
    - House/refrigerators make noises/sounds? Don't tell me that you've never heard those sounds before. It had to be pretty loud at night when living with others if you didn't notice those sounds before. After a few days or a week you shouldn't notice them.
    - Never forgot my keys because they hang on the door to my apartment. I always see them before opening the door to go somewhere.
    - I don't mind the cleaning and vacuuming part because that's like once a month. The rest takes just a few easy minutes. No big deal.
    - Food and Dishes... I got a busy Avenue just a few blocks away with tons of stores for everything. You should periodically check what food you have and don't have, write them down, and get what you need with some extras just in case. If you don't have much food, there are great recipes out there that you can make with limited ingredients. Just Google them. If you always wash/clean dishes right after you're done eating then it doesn't seem so annoying.
    - I definitely hate the bills, but again, write them down on your calendar and you won't forget.
    * Don't forget about the benefits of living alone *

• 9d

Of course I've heard the sounds houses make, but if I'm alone, they are somehow way scarier. the key on the door is a really good idea, I might steal that from you :D. If I vacuumed once a month, my place would be a total mess. I guess hating the cleaning is just a personality trait. I live in quite a secluded are, there is like one overpriced grocery store nearby. I try to cook as much as I can, trying out new recipes and stuff, but sometimes I just can#t be bothered to go outside to get the ingredients. I know living alone has a lot of perks - nobody is judging you for eating in your bed, you can rock out to weird music and nobody's gonna give you awkward looks.. also spending time with your bf/gf is much more chilled :)

• 4d

haha this so true and helpful

• 5d

An entire empty house would creepy as fuck!

• 8d

so true

• 8d

On the bright side you can masturbate any time you want.

• 9d

we where never designed to pay bills
    slavery at its finest

• 9d

Yeah the worst for me is the laundry. When I lived with my parents we had a washing machine but as a student I can't afford it so I must wash everything by hand

• 8d

Yeah, I finally live in an apartment with a washer and dryer in the unit and I don't think I could ever go back to that coin laundry BS again.

• 8d

I think my building has some washing machines but they're at the opposite side of the building which is a 5 minute walk and there are only a few for the building's 1000 residents so you need to go at like 3am so that they're free. And I think now you need to ask for the key to use them so it's not worth it

• 7d

Mine are in my hall closet - full size washer and dryer.

• 9d

I had to clean from my early teens so im use to that in uni my shopping just got really efficient and it was good exercise at least I had a big backpack and every few weeks id fetch about 50 kg of things like frozen mince , veg cheese, oats , liver and vitamin juice and carry it 1 mile or so up the hill.
    Saying all that id rather share somewhere than live alone (share with pepole that also know how to clean!).

• 10d

Yeah that pretty much sums up living alone but I like living alone.

• 10d

And one of the many good things that you can stay all the fully naked :)

• 10d

Waiting for this experience

• 10d

Masterbate is good lol

What Girls Said 9

• 7d

Sounds tough, ngl, especially because I'm a privileged white girl too lol.

• 9d

I can't afford to live alone ahaha

• 16h
  • 5d

I know.

• 7d

good,.,.

• 7d

I really enjoyed reading this and it made me laugh you are growing up. This is just all put of life and sometimes I know you wish you didn't have to be a adult.. LOL! Jk

• 7d

I don't want to live alone

• 8d

so true

• 9d

Yeah, I can totally relate! About the keys, it's always safe to give a copy to a relative or close friend.
    The food: a permanent issue, lol! I used to order delivery frequently until I learned how to cook (it's cheaper, healthier and even fun).
    Paying bills: ugh, that I truly hate, just like in your case, it's not about the money, but about having to do it!

But I absolutely enjoy living alone!!