Gender-roles and Gender Stereotypes

Alright. So, this is my first myTake and I'm gonna have it something I feel strongly about. I'm talking about the way a female is treated compared to a male.

It may seem as if it's pretty equal, but it's not. Not at all. Originally, the man was supposed to be the strong, protective one. The woman was supposed to stay at home while the man was working, making him food, washing dishes, all that stuff. They were considered weak and fragile. They were told they needed the protection of a male. That they are submissive and caring, while the man was dominant and cold.

Then, women started realizing that they are worth more. Imagine being a woman back then (try it guys, picturing time). You're a little lady, taught by your mother that you will forever be submissive to the man you were married off to at a young age by your father. He will 'protect' you as you live with him. He will force you to do his clothes, clean his mess, and hide away when his guys are over. You can't leave the house, as you'd have no reason to. He'd be making the money. Sure, maybe that sounds nice to you. But to others, it's terrible. It'd be like a cage.

Nowadays, women can work and be independent. But what of the leaders? Because of the stereotypes, people believe only a man can dominate. Women may try out for an election, but will fail.

Gender-roles and Gender Stereotypes

Let's branch away from that though. Maybe the woman wants to be in a business. A girl grows up told that their only wish will be for herself to wear a beautiful dress at prom and for a man to sweep her off her feet. She won't have time to dream of the business she wants to go to, because all her life, others will be shoving those thoughts of prom into her head all the time. Men can go to be a doctor easily. A woman can't. There will be others asking questions and telling her she really wants to be a nurse. Sometimes, they even need a signature. Or marriages. The man asks the question and chooses when to ask it. Maybe it seems like the whole thing is equal. But that's because everyone has grown up with this happening.

Have you ever heard of buzzfeed? They have some videos on YouTube about stuff like this. There's a video called 'If Men Were Women'. It seems pretty funny, but gets really powerful at the end. I won't spoil it, you can watch it yourself.

There's another video series called the flip side. It's more comedy based, but it just goes to show how blind we truly are. There's one last video I'll suggest. You can easily find it online. It's by a French director, so it's only English subtitles. It's called Oppressed Majority. It starts with a house-husband as he's walking back.

But what's your opinion? I have a lot more to say, but can't with my phone.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 27

• All this did was inspire me to write my own take about this when I finally get the time after work.

• Personally I like both the stereotypes and the gender roles, but I'm also for equality as well. So in my opinion you can embrace either if you like some of the gender roles that some women still like to do ( I should know I know some ) or your for equality you should be able to do either.

Also the main reason why the job market is more dominated by women now is not because your empowered or have a cause or anything like that but rather because most of the jobs men are suited for are disappearing or not in as high demand as they used to be there are very few unexplored lands to find and explore, no more Kingdoms Empires Providences to conquer, no more nations and cities to build. Most of the world has been explored, there is no need to build new cities or anything like that and we no longer go around sensibly waging war and conquering all in our path for resources and power or simply because we want to. The world is going more and more towards technology, digital, electronic etc and less towards manual labor that dominated the job market a hundred years ago and for thousands of years before that, even though manual labor jobs will always be around and always be needed there are no were near as many as there used to be, so the job market is more female friendly and has jobs that women are more suited for in a technology driven world. It has also been proven women are more adept at jobs revolving around technology and knowledge which is were most of the jobs and money are at in today's world so its not surprising that you dominate the job market. Though the professions men excel in are still dominated by men and probably always will be.

Please keep in mind I am not anti women or equality I am just giving you a clean cut and realistic view and opinion.

• Interesting example about being a doctor - medical school is close to 50/50 in the u. s. now, i think it's tipped to more women in Canada. It no doubt will be mainly women in the U. S. soon.

You are correct that there are major differences in how men and women are treated in and by society. I can't say which is 'better' off - most are double edged swords. Men tend to be given more credit or blame for their situation, while women's success is written off, and failure blamed on others. If you're unsuccessful you're better off as a woman, if you're exceptionally successful, better as a male.

• What a narrow mindset you have to assume that women didn't and don't enjoy taking care of a household.

• Are you referring to her example of the past patriarchal society? If so, I think you missed her point entirely. The point is that, many didn't. They didn't have the ability to choose anything but taking care of a household; they didn't have the leeway to consider anything but the household, while men were able to explore society in much greater leaps. You can't deny the fervent oppression that took place in the past. Sadly this still applies to many traditional societies today... I know of women across the world who wanted to make something with their lives but were confined to their house because their husbands and families disapproved of working women... my own Aunt wanted to attain an education, but her brother was against this so she ended up marrying because that's the only expectation for women in the culture... sad. Very, very sad.

• If you want to counter gender stereotypes, then don't ignore an entire gender. That being said, this was the worst take I've ever seen. Please research your points thoroughly before wasting my time again.

• Let me see here. My wife and I are close in salary and always have been. She does tend to make a bit more than me. Also, upon looking at my work place policies, I believe they do have a lengthy policy that dictates that people cannot be singles out, demoted, promoted, or terminated, or given raises based on gender, nation of origin, sexual orientation, or religion. Okay, I think that about covers it, therefore making your point moot. You work hard for a better future, You get a better future. End of story. So quit bitching about how you think women are getting a raw deal when according to my observations, They are getting treated just the same as us guys.

• exactly.
      And that brings up an other reason women aren't getting their equality.
      Because they want men to GIVE it to them, instead of working for it. This is the real world, everything (even the right to take a shit) has to be earned in some way. You have the RIGHT to be equal, now we men are going to ensure you are equal in the sense you're competing with no benefits or drawbacks. You're at the stage where you're being tested to see if you are able to compete.
      Pass that and we'll realize you're able to do the top jobs just as good.
      If you fail however (for example by bitcihn , and demanding men to go easy on you because equality in your eyes is a 50/50 gender dispersion), you will not get the top job. Because you simply aren't good enough.

so girls, if you TRULY want equality. I suggest you realize that the next 20-30 years will be a trial by fire. And it's easy to pass it. Just shut up, and WORK for what you beleive in. THAT will get you to the top

• do it the ways men have done it. Hard work, blood, sweat, and tears.

Because we're no longer holding your hands and putting you on a pedestal. That pedestal is gone, and you got to work and compete. You're thrown to the wolves, that's true, but you don't need to be better, you just need to fit in and manage over time. Then the last stubborn idiots will realize women can indeed do the same shit as men.

just my 2 cents

• Those two cents are completely on point. No argument here.

• Another bullshit take.
    Probably women are not worth as much as men, seeing that they didn't achieve much according to you. You had thousands of years to earn your rights and failed.

• Eh I got bored so i stopped watching real life female gets raped, male gets murdered

• - Both women and men are suffering from gender/sex differences and stereotypes.

- You've avoided talking about male stereotypes.

This is a very poor take indeed.

• Gender roles are expectations that human beings have for one another. Nothing is set in stone. It all depends on how you were raised and socialized in life they're double standards for both male and female. You were talking about a woman getting wreck for being a doctor and not a nurse. men get it too for being nurses and get less respect by both genders sometimes because he doesn't want to be a doctor. I really can't get in with this because I was raised to treat everyone equally. My mother used to tell as a boy if anyone puts their hands on you hit them back boy or girl no one has the right to hit you. And my sisters were raised that they can do anything they want by my father so all this stuff here is kind of true but I guess it depends on how again you are raised and how strong you are mentally growing up and trying to be successful in America

• I submitted a mytake about the difference between sex and gender. www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a7834-the-actual-difference-between-sex-gender-in-detail

However, I need to say something. The one thing i don't agree with in the french video was the naked breasts. Requiring women to cover their erogenous zones is NOT oppressive. I apologize if it was just part of the whole mirror-universe thing.

• In short: determined and strong women don't have time for bitching and feminism. They just set a target and go for it. And they detest feminists, since they see them as sore losers that cannot achieve anything themselves and are looking for someone to blame, but a thought that maybe they just aren't fit for it yet and should improve themselves never crosses their narrow minds. It's always easier to blame someone else rather than yourself.

My mom is a great example of a strong woman: she started as a small accountant and now (20 years later) holds a rather high position in a quite big company with loads of people underneath her command. Should you ask her about feminists and whatnot, that would be one of the those extremely rare cases when she'll use foul language to describe someone.

So quit trying to find someone to blame (men) for your lack of competence, determination, skills, knowledge, patience etc and start working on yourself. Otherwise you MAY get some kind of position in a pussy country like Norway (with their retarded "gender quotas"), but since you got it served to you on a plate, remember centuries old proverb "easy comes, easy goes". Should an opportunity arise, your competitors will eat you alive thanks to all your flaws you managed to hide by just bitching for advantages on a legal level.

• My grandma identifies herself as a feminist and I think she's one of the strongest women I've met. She dropped out of school in 7th grade to help her blind mother, went to work as another families maid. She also continued her own studies so she wouldn't fall behind. Returned to school at 16 finished. And put herself through two years of college. My grandma is a highly determined women.
      Emma Watson became an award winning actress, graduated from brown university, also a determined actress.
      And I digress. Wanting your daughter to have nice female role models when she's growing up doesn't make you weak. Wanting your kid to do whatever they want regardless of gender doesn't make you weak. Wanting rape kits in states to finally get tested doesn't make you weak.
      I don't think any of those ideas have made my grandmother, Emma Watson, or several other weak I simply think we're just caring

• There's a part of me that wants to debate and inform you on how everything you said was wrong, no matter what ones stance on gender may be, ignorance and false information does no one any good. However the other smarter part of me realizes the futility of such an effort so all I can do is wish that life teaches you theses facts in the most Inconvenient way. Enjoy.

• Interesting. I was actually thinking about this earlier. I think you are mistaken in some ways however.

You say that you don't think "things are equal". I would argue that just because gender roles are different, doesn't mean one is superior to the other. Just as a shoe needs a shoelace, and a shoelace is useless without a shoe, a partnership between a man who works and protects a woman financially and physically, and a woman who supports her man emotionally and practically can be completely equal and fulfilling. It is a mistake to say that just because a woman CAN work - she has to do so.

This is obvious from the way you say - "women realized they are "worth more". More than what? Being a good wife and a mother? Just as the ultimate test of being a man is being a good husband and a father. Is there anything wrong with this? Similarly - I don't know of anyone that "forces" their wife to clean their clothes. Wives like to do it to help the husband face the challenges he has in his life - and show they care about him.

Similarly, you argue that it is "more difficult" for women to do things such as be a doctor. Why? Because people might say "a nurse" instead? This is a weak argument. Anyone regardless of sex who wants to be a doctor requires mental strength and if being told by someone "be a nurse" is enough to put off then you'd never be successful anyway.

Marriage - the man asks the question and when to ask it - but the woman can say yes or no so she has control!

Essentially, men and women are fundamentally different psychologically. We have evolved to be this way. Gender roles have developed over thousands of years because they best suit our personal strengths and weaknesses. Of course there are exceptions - and of course a problem has been that over time men took advantage of these gender roles to ensure the dominance of one sex over the other. But generally speaking gender roles are important and good things. They give people a foundation to work from.

• 0|0
  • If I have to read another joke poorly written feminist article on gender roles i'm going to GAG! Women's oppression issues in middle eastern countries are much more severe. We're talking being stoned for being raped by men. Women, with amazing post secondary educations never get to use them for anything? Why? Arranged and sometimes FORCED marriages. Death penalty for women include stoning and hanging to death. To me those are real women's issues.

• That's like saying me being cut doesn't matter because your hand was cut off. Yeah, your injury is more severe, but it doesn't make mine hurt less.

• What? Yeah your cut hurts, and can leave some psychological damage, maybe even a scar. But losing ones hand cripples him PHYSICALLY and psychologically as well. Your is an owie that CAN heal with time, My injury will affect me for the rest of my life. Are you trying to say that your hurts just as much because you are a woman?

• You say women began working when they "realized they were worth more." Did it ever occur to you that women began taking blue collar jobs because men were sent to their deaths in WW2?

Selective service only applies to men. If I didn't register for the draft, i wouldn't have been allowed to go to college and id be in jail. Women are completely excused from that responsibility. Why? Cuz men are seen as disposable. Our only value in society is what we can provide women.

As for women in leadership positions, they are moving up and very rapidly. Think about it. Maybe women still believe they are oppressed and victims of gender stereotypes but most of that are outdated roles that nobody believes in anymore. Now we have public service announcements, commercials and entire industries that set out to empower women. Yet, men are still forced to register for the draft and men are still held up to the traditional standard of what makes a man. Women can be anything they want, but men HAVE to be manly.

• Ehh the main reason the job market is dominated by women is because most of the jobs men are suited for either are disappearing or are less common. Its not like it used to be there are no more Kingdoms, Empire and Providences to conquer, no more unexplored lands to find or explore and no more nations and cities to build the world is all about technology now. Most of the world has been explored, there is no need to build new cities or anything like that and we no longer go around waging war and conquering all in our path. So the job market is more friendly an suited for women then it used to be. And it has been proven women are naturally more adept at jobs revolving around technology and knowledge such as stuff in IT, medical, teaching, science etc. So its not surprising that they are more dominant in the job market.

• You obviously didn't read anything I said cuz you didn't respond to anything I mentioned above

• Women have first world problems, men have third world problems. You women have it so easy, you're literally deluding yourself when it comes to oppression because the only oppressed gender in the West is MALE. Second class citizens by law.

• Both genders have struggles

• I have seen quite a few doctors in my lifetime and the larger part where women. Also the larger part of students nowadays are female, so I think the chances women have to get a carreer are pretty much the same as men do.
    Of course there still are certain gender roles in place and I don't think those will ever completely disappear. Men and women ARE different, so people will always expect everyone of the same sex to behave certain ways.
    But nontheless I think that in the coming years a lot of problems that arise now will dissolve.

• Women have been in the medical field as far back as the civil war if I remember right, as nurses and later doctors especially in war time.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 5

• Um.. I actually like some gender-roles...

• 1. "They were weak and submissive, while men were dominant and cold."
    I can't help but disagree with that. Not every submissive woman is weak, and not every dominant man is cold.
    2. I found it a bit funny when that one dude said he'd be scared to death to go out of the house as a woman-how on earth do we do it?
    3. I found the French film interesting. It ended up being like an alternate universe, with the wife crossing over into ours...

• The actors and actresses did an amazing job in the French video.

• my opinion is that although this may be a dear issue to your heart, you don't seem to have done much beyond writing down your thoughts, i would recommend doing research before you try again...

• i feel like a lot of this is not finished.. maybe thats why u say u a have a lot more to say... i also feel like obviously i agree but what was the point of bringing this up, we alll know how women were treated in the past, so what is ur stance? men should appreciate women more? or is it like we shud get over women sterotypes? i really wasn't sure where u were going... but good job for a first take i guess