Modern Day High School Through the Eyes of a Senior

I know it hasn't been a school day until I have heard the phrase "it looks good on college applications" at least five times.

Teachers constantly tell me that they're preparing me for "real life"—as if the first eighteen are a free trial.

Getting an education turned into a competition I never agreed to enter. My class rank is worth more than I will ever be.

Getting a perfect score on a test used to be exciting. Now, it just feels mandatory.

I used to think in weekdays, but now I think in test dates.

My eyelids seem to be the only things heavier than my backpack, and the bags under my eyes are the only things darker than the marks I make on a Scantron.

High school taught me that nothing matters unless it's typed in Times New Roman 12pt font—double-spaced.

When did a grade point average become more defining than character?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

• Beautifully written.

Become a poet, or something.

• How are you?

• Actually, having been in college, high school was VERY valuable for my learning. However, only math, science, and engineering classes really mattered.

• You’re going to find that there's a lot that went on in high school that isn’t going to matter once you get out here in the real world. I think high school is only teaching kids to be good at memorizing things in a book to take a test. It’s not teaching what’s really going to be important once you grow up and become a full fledged adult. It’s all going to be about what you can do that is going to land you that good job out here in the real world and not a GPA. Of all the jobs I have worked and interviewed for over the years not one of them has asked what my GPA was in high school or in college was. They were looking for what skills I had. The things that are going to be really important after high school is your credit score, what it means and why you need to keep it as high as you can, saving and investing money, what an IRA is, what a money market account is, understanding how these accounts accure interest and knowing the difference between renting and financing a mortgage. If you don’t know these things ask and do some research to educate yourself. These things will be what is very important. Good things will come to those that work their ass off, step out of their comfort zone and don’t give up. The people that have initiative and can do things without having to be told and having a boss over their shoulder every minute to make sure they are working are the ones that are going to succeed. I knew plenty of people who in high school made all A’s where in all honors courses, honor society and really aren’t doing a whole lot today. A GPA doesn’t mean anything.

What Girls Said 3