The Oldest Known Selfie - 10 Interesting Photos from the Past

As much as I hate taking photos of myself, I like seeing other people's interesting photos. Especially if they are old ones. So I had some saved on my computer (creep alert :O) from "distractify" and some other random sites and just wanted to share a few with you guys.

10. The Oldest Known Selfie

This photo of Robert Cornelius was the first ever selfie (taken in 1839).

9. The Kissing Sailor

Soldier kissing a nurse in Times Square on the day WWII ended.

8. Two Winners of a Beauty Pageant

Shows us how beauty standards were much more different in 1922.

7. ...

He's rehearsing his speeches in front of a mirror. Ugh once again the egotism with this one...

6. Baby Cages

These cages were used by some (dumb) 1930s families who wanted their children to get enough sunlight. (Are you kidding me?!)

5. ♫ Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk ♫

Salvador Dali and Coco Chanel smoking together (1938).

4. He Has a Dream

A boy listening to Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream" speech (1963)

3. Make love no war!

A cute puppy sleeping between Russian soldiers (1945)

2. Being A Mother

This is a photo of a concerned pea-picker and mother of 7 children during the Dust Bowl in 1936.

1. Last Kisses

Soldiers getting their last kisses before leaving for war (World War II).

That's about it. Let me know if you guys liked it or want to see more. #9 and #5 are probably my favorites. Which one was yours? ;)

Read Part II: Ten Interesting Photos From The Past (Part II): A Tad Disturbing Ones

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 22

• 2 and 3 ring a bell with me maybe 1.

• Good take and wtf with those baby cages XD

• The kissing sailor looks uncomfortable for the girl lol but the real winner are the baby cages haha
    Nice take!!

• haha yeah it kinda does.. oh yes it's definitely baby cages! lol
      thanks ^.^

• I don't think I'd ever leave something like that *Oh don't worry, I would have taken it the dirty way no matter what* haha

• hahaha oh you! lol

• Wouldn't the first selfie be the 'shroud of Turan?"

• Baby cage is an amazing picture:)

• the baby cage is just ridiculous -_-

• HAHA! THESE AREN'T THE OLDEST...

HUMANS WERE PAINTING SELFIES BEFORE THEIR WERE PHOTOGRAPHS.

• @Brauliocristo to you both : Oh you don't say. I'm not talking about "paintings". I'm talking about a selfie that is taken by someone. Robert Cornelius took that photo outside the store his family owned.
      Also writing in capital letters won't make you sound convincing when you don't even know how to spell...

• After a long time... omg this take rocks 😊 I liked that sailor one specially his pose😉 lol

• Wow. Very nice post. Thanks for sharing. Those photos feel almost like been taken from another world.

• I really like number one, I just hope all those guys were able to come back to those women! And I think you should do some creepy old pictures, funny old pictures, generally odd old pictures, etc...

• Number 8 tells me 1922 10s are 2015 3s.

• Well beauty standards were much different in that time, maybe today's super models would be considered only a 3 in 1922.

• Photo Number 8... Seriously? They considered those women beautiful? I guess the women of today would have been goddesses in that time period!

• thats jsut not true, we dont know the circumstances of that photo. Maybe they were friends of judges, or maybe everyone else was just ugly and it was a small pageant.

Just search for beautiful women 1920s and you'll see some good stuff for sure

• yeah I don't agree with you, fashionguy.

• Noice take catcher👍

• I prefer free range children.

• That was kind of cool post most entertaining

• Congratulations, good take. Honestly number 9 ( kissing sailor) is my fav. i think this is the best way to celebrate end of war :) my second fav is baby cage but i liked your comment about baby cages more than that picture lol by the way in general all of the photos you chose were good. congratulations again. tebrikler :)

• Teşekkürler. That's one of my all time favorites. Haha I'm glad you enjoyed my comments as well :)

• Anladım, benim de o konuda şüphelerim var haha. Ama bunların hepsi bana ait ( fotoğrafların seçimi isim koyma ve yorumlar falan.)

• doğrudur inanıyorum sana :) o zaman umarım devamını hazırlayacak zamanı ve ruh halini bulursun da zevkle okurum. bana özel mesaj atıp haber ver lütfen hazırlarsan kaçırmayayım ;)

• Baby cages, never heard of that lol

• non of those are selfies

• i didn't say "selfies" i said "selfie". Only one of them is a selfie, obviously. You people need to improve your reading skills before commenting on something...

• Really looking super😊

• I was intrigued. Good take.

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 25