Does anyone actually use the phrase "high yeller" to describe a light skinned black girl?

I work with a bunch of souther guys (white). I said how when I lived in the west coast I dated a black girl and they all turned and said "you like high yellers?" Apperantly it's "high yellow" because their skinned looks light yellow one even said some are light red? I've... never heard this souther "slang" and I'm pretty sure it's racist m. Til my other black co-worker from Mississippi said its a thing "there's tons of high yellows (pronounced yellers) around New Orleans".
P. S I don't believe or even notice any "yellow" or "red" hues

Most Helpful Girl

• These phrases go back to the times of slavery where lighter skinned black people who may have even been mixed were called yellow or red because of the undertones and shades of their skin. Here's some pics
    yellow: pddp.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/bonet-lisa.jpg
    red:images.rapgenius.com/...e57626bb9984.400x600x1.jpg
    In many cases they are used interchangeably for a lighter skinned black person, but darker people can also have reddish or yellowish undertones. White people that still use this wording today are usually southern and or racist, but sadly it has stuck with many black people that still use it to describe each other.

Most Helpful Guy

• U know what... I'm a black dude that lives in Cali, and I've never heard the term "high yeller". :-P

In black American culture, the terms "redbone" & "yellowbone" are used to call a light complexion black girl. I guess southern black folks use a different spin on those terms. :-P

• I'm on an oil platform in Alaska most of my co-workers are from Oklahoma and Louisiana. I'm from Alaska I consider myself "west coast"

• This happened in Seattle

• The girl the high yeller incident in Alaska

What Girls Said 1

• I have never heard of these phrases before. People think of the strangest things.

What Guys Said 4

• i'm pretty sure that's only a backwoods deep south thing. i've never heard of it and i've been all over the country. even when i was in alabama, i never heard it.

• haha, never heard that term.

• I lived down south. Fuck racists and that is offensive.

• Sure they do, just like black people call white people crackers and racists.