Why do guys tell pretty girls they're ugly?

A guy used to call me ugly all the time. I'm pretty sure he was joking, because he's my friend and he's the type of person that likes to joke around a lot. But then again I'm not sure if he was joking, because I've seen guys tell girls they're ugly and meant it. I'm just not sure. He's usually nice to me and talks to me when he gets the chance, but I guess that doesn't mean he thinks I'm pretty either. I guess I'm just wondering if a guy will tell a girl she's ugly if he really thinks it or if he will jokingly call a girl ugly even if he really thinks she's pretty.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 3

What Guys Said 3

• Selected as most helpful

I Had a guy do that to me to, I was so deeply depressed afterward, but I think guys do it to gain your attention, because I've had modeling agencies, I've had very rich men, and other women say I was pretty, you must be beautiful, because some guys do this to undermine their looks, and self esteem, a upholding and genuine man wouldn't do this, but a down graded Neanderthal would, it is just how some guys are, he wouldn't say take time to talk to you if he meant it, and wouldn't want to be seen with you if you were this so called 'ugly' which is funny because it seems as though most women will take a man no matter what he looks like yet usually men can be primarily picking. I hope this helps. Please don't take this to heart, I remember someone told me that and I nearly committed suicide, because I thought I got away from bullying.

• I was told I was ugly by a guy my senior yr..He was jealous because I was really pretty..he's now on my face book with his live in bf..no joking..next time ask him if he'd like some kitty chow with that

• If it's a friend, he was probably just teasing, but it's still a scummy thing to do. Was the way he said it malicious?

For instance, I've seen this one girl around my school that is just not attractive. Her name is Emily, and once I heard a guy say to her, "Hey Emugly -- just kidding, Emily." The way he said it was obviously hurtful and not teasing. I guess if this guy you know is saying something like that to you, steer clear of him because he's trying to make you feel insecure.

• Some guys will do it to hide what they feel, and others say it because they mean it. But it's not right that your friend calls you that at all. Joking around is one thing, saying something mean is something else.

• Some guys do and some dont, its hard to say since I don't know your friend but I do that all the time, I don't go as far as using the word "ugly" because some girls can take it the wrong way. I usually tease them a bit on their appearance. He's probably just joking around with you. Guys do that sometimes to get your attention because if a guy is always complimenting a girl on her looks she usually loses interest.

• It's a deliberate tactic to undermine your confidence, and make you feel insecure and confused.

As a general rule, it's easier to mess with the heads of very pretty women. The prettier a girl is, the more likely she is to be insecure about her looks. And lots of guys will take advantage of this fact.