Top 5 Movies to Help You Get Over a Break Up

AshleyL

So you're depressed because your boyfriend broke up with you. He broke your heart and you are left wondering if there are any good men left in the world.

And now instead of drowning your sorrows in food (i.e. chocolate, ice cream, etc.), I think you should take the time to watch some classic movies that give women hope that there really are good men still out there, even if only on the big screen.

Below are the top five movies to watch after a break up to help you imagine the possibilities:

5 Movies to Help You Get Over a Break Up

5. How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days

Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey
Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey

Classic movie, a whole lot of Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey, and his beautiful chest. Nothing makes me happier than watching Kate do everything in her power to chase good ole Matt away, such as naming his penis Crawl the Warrior King, photo shopping pictures of their children and taking him to a Celine Dion concert. Remember that moment, when she walks out in the yellow dress and he grabs his heart sigh. Anyway, in the end they can't deny their love for each other and he chases down her cab with their love fern in tow. If the thought of finding your own Matt doesn't make you want to get back out there and start dating again, I just don't know what to tell you.

4. Pretty Woman

Richard Gere and Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman

Okay ladies it may seem like old school, but really you can't deny that this is one of the best chick flicks of all time. With Julia Roberts as a hooker, Richard Gere a millionaire and George from Seinfeld making an ass of himself; you can't go wrong. We all know the story, Julia's a hooker on Hollywood Boulevard and Richard is cruising the streets in search of a good time, well were not sure why he's on Hollywood Boulevard, but we don't question perfection. What starts as an innocent business transaction turns into the fantasy she always dreamed of. I know my hear t melted when Richard Gere climbed up the fire escape, umbrella and roses in hand, to rescue Princess Vivian (you all are lying if you say you didn't have the same reaction).

3. Dirty Dancing

Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze
Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze

Six words, Nobody puts Baby in the corner. Need I say more? I know you're probably thinking, why isn't this movie number 1. Well because this is my list and I make the call. Dirty Dancing made every girl's hopes of falling in love while on vacation with the family seem like a possibility. I know I always thought those family trips to resorts would end up this way. Regardless, Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey capture our hearts with their amazing dancing abilities and lifts in the water. And seriously, what girl wouldn't want to fall in love again after watching the last 15 minutes of the movie. That little twist she does right before being carried off the stage and leaping into Patrick Swayze's arms, makes the whole movie worthwhile.

2. Love Actually

Love Actually cast
Love Actually cast

Now I know a lot of you may not have seen this movie. If you haven't, get your butt up and get to it. I call this my favorite Christmas movie of all time, but I think it also works to help you get over a break. If you haven't seen it, well then you're missing out. The story follows several character independently yet all related at some point, all looking for love.

Now my favorite people in this movie would have to be the couple who meet and fall in love while working as stand-ins for a porno film and then Colin Firth, whose wife cheats on him with his brother. He goes off to write and falls in love with his cleaning girl, who only speaks Portuguese. Why is this so intriguing and how will this bring up your hopes for a good man. Well Colin Firth learns Portuguese to he can propose to his darling Aurelia. She says yes and that she learned English just in cases. Classic.

1. The Notebook

Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gossling
Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gossling

Now you all know why this is number one. I don't believe I have ever cried as much during a movie (except for maybe Titanic) and if this doesn't make you want to fall in love again, I don't know what will. Now I have only seen this movie once, I but I swear I need to buy it. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gossling are teenagers who fall in love, only to have her parents disapprove and take her away. Now before she goes, they have sex and she tells him all about her dream house.

Later in life, when she is engaged, their paths cross again. She learns he has built her dream house and they fall in love all over again. Did I mention the kiss in the rain? If that's not enough, we learn the narrator of the story is an older Ryan Gossling reading to his now wife, Rachel McAdams, who has Alzheimer's. He is reading the story of their life together in hopes her memory returns. And if that is not enough, they die in each other's arms. Talk about the best love story of all time!

Hopefully, after reading my little recaps, you realize that somewhere out there, there is a good man for you. And even if it is not the guy who just broke up with you, then by gosh it will be someone else. Go rent some movies to lift your spirits. And once you're done with that, get out there and find your own Matthew McConaughey or Ryan Gossling! Happy Hunting Ladies!

16
11

Most Helpful Guy

• Rafael151
    Great movies, but can't this backfire as a cure for what ails? It seems like it could just as likely remind the sorrowful person that they are far from such a happy ending at this moment - not unlike staring at other peoples trophies after you've just lost a big game. You left out Hector Elizondo saying "It must be difficult to let go of something so beautiful."
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• xosunshine
    Love Actually is amazing! I love that scene where the guy goes to the house pretending to be a caroler and tells the woman that he loves her on the notecards. =-) That movie is so uplifting
    Is this still revelant?
    • Bluemax

I've actually heard a lot of criticism about that scene.

• Bluemax

I'm curious why you liked that scene. Personally I think the criticism is mostly unfounded.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1015
  • Girls!!!

Men:
    To hell and back... Audey Murphy. gets your mind out of that crap
    Tuskeegee Airmen - why not?
    Psycho - reminds you of your X and why not with her
    Fatal Attraction - reminds us of how hot girls can be, and how dangerous. Curl up with dog or cat!
    Into think air - reminds us to thank God we are alive and not freezing on some damn mountain
    Jaws - pretty sure that was a female shark due to size...

haha!!;)
  • DizzyDesii
    Im not into these films sadly although i love Kate Hudson but just didn't find it as good as i thought. The notebook is not a good breakup movie 😂 it would prob make u more depressed but its def overrated and a snoozefest. I hated Titanic but rather watch that hoe drown jack then sit through another showing of The Notebook 😂 I never found Julia pretty so i struggled finishing that mmovie but it had a good soundtrack. Overall good mytake
  • pervertedjester
    For me, Watching these after a break up would be like throwing salt on the wound. And I'd rather watch Little House on the Prairie on a loop than subject myself to number 4 again. If it works for you that's awesome but these movies would only serve to make me laugh at best or drive me completely insane at worst. Maybe the title should've been "Girls, My Top 5 Movies to Help You Get Over a Break Up"
  • mellowmatt
    All those movies just make things harder for me, but good movies non-the-less. I can't watch the notebook though, seeing as I watched it for the first time with my ex who just dumped me...and I don't see us getting back together like those two do.
  • S8tr1234
    Oh god I love The Notebook. it's sad but it just shows you that true love does prevail in the end. I've had my share of heartaches but I think that without those the taste of true love won't be as sweet. >_<
  • Out of these 5 i literally only like one of them. The notebook is literally trash I don't know why my mom keeps insisting i watch it with her. The female character is dumb and the guy is even dumber for putting up with her bs
  • roadkingp
    Hey nice list but I doubt this is going to backfire!!!!!

Instead I recommend watching only comedy and all other things which are not a subject of love. It worked for me.
  • itsmicaelaxo
    Uhm, these movies are amazing but they'd surely depress me if I watched them after a break up hahah. Or maybe that's the point? To let it all out whilst eating ice cream? Guess it could work.
  • ryanrhino
    500 Days of Summer, Before Sunrise, Once, Love Actually, Great Expectations (with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow) in order
    • Now, you’re talking.

500 days of summer was realistic brutal.
      Once, beautiful catchy songs.
      Great expectations, extreme trust issues and heartbreak.

• Anpu23
    Come on, best chick flick of all time is PS I Love you. https://www.youtube.com/embed/CZzW6_hR068Didn't even make your top five.
  • Littletad
    Sigh... all the smart attractive women are always taken. Nice movies though ;). Love actually is the best.
  • TacosRAwesome
    Nah I'm not going to watch other people fall in love and things like that if I'm going through a breakup... I want blood, death, murder, explosions, etc.
  • Midwestbeauty444
    FIRST OF ALL! THE NOTEBOOK!? they get marroed at the end HOW is that a movie to make me feel BETTER?
  • vintagegirl90
    1. Hector and the search for happiness
    i watched it once and it made me feel 10 times better than I expected and that he focussed only on being happy
    2. 500 days of summer - my absolute favourite film, some of it is relatable and when he realises that he needed to be doing his own thing to try and finally getting what he wanted, he learns a lesson
    3. Bridget Jones diary the first one, she goes on absolute focus to improve herself physically
    4. I feel pretty - when she hits her head and gets this huge surge of confidence, makes you genuinely feel like you can be amazing even if things don’t look that way
    5. Legally blonde - Elle woods is just so great here, she just went out there and proved that you can still be as wonderfully happy and do well, it’s always possible
  • ajbrown8
    I think you nailed it with those movies... all classic chick flicks!
  • theacefospades
    why isn't dirty dancing numbah 1? "cause it's my list and I make the call" awesome.
  • PapaNilson
    I would advise the movie Fireproof. It made me realize what is worth doin and what mistakes I may have made in my own relationship. It is very powerful.
    • Bluemax

Will look into it. Thanks.

• maxgdek
    Ghost... The Man from snowy River... Always... Oh God...
    Caddyshack... It's a mad mad mad world... Splash...
  • Liam_Hayden
    I think, especially if you're a guy, just watch divorce court.
  • Raym0nd
    Always available to help a woman get over a breakup
  • Lis4Loca
    YAY! Love Actually was a perfect movie to watch
  • nicholas28980
    watch some fun movies like avengers end game
  • funkit46
    Idiocracy
  • Kikiplays
    Goodfellas works for me lol
  • Anonymous
    Good but your mytake is little bit biased and generalized against men I would say!