How do you politely reject a birthday gift from an ex you're not over without appearing weak?

Long story short my ex left me for another but I made a regrettable agreement to remain friends after a couple of months after the break up.

Now a mutual friend told me that she's prepared a birthday gift for me a week early and I just can't deal with anymore sentiments.

How can I do this without making it awkward?

42

Most Helpful Guy

• You should be vaguely assertive going on about it. Don't appear to be chatty when the time comes just make it swift and painless when you reject her gift. I agree with telling her that her friendship is good enough, it smoothes the situation out without appearing like a bitter child.

To sum down everything just make sure you don't show resentment. That's what reveals weakness.