My ex boyfriend committed suicide when I broke up with him.. should I be blamed?

My boyfriend of 5 months and a good friend since last year committed suicide today (5 days after our official break up). I broke up with him because I was not happy at all. He always emotionally controlled me. And said he loved me. I loved him too but only for the first 4 months. Since last month only I know how I felt in the relationship. He used to threaten me with suicide everytime I tried breaking up (in the last month I tried breaking up with him twice but he threatened suicide and i'd always give in) Although he never really had the guts. We are 17. And this is a crucial year (academically) for our careers. He used to be a brilliant student but since this relationship , he kept me a priority (which I never supported and I PLEADED him to study) and he never let me study. It bugged him when I kept my academics prior to him. I ruined many of my exams because of him. He used to get mad at me for so small issues (I didn't reply to his I LOVE YOU texts if I was busy. I didn't say I love you whenever I was in a hurry) and I was the one who always tried to avoid fighting with him! He was not a perfect boyfriend either. But I never complained because I didn't want to fight!
And now when I finally decided to care for MY LIFE AND CAREER , I broke up with him.
I mean he was always super depressed most of the time because he had lousy parents who never care for him (thats what he told me I never met them) and so he emptionally dependent on me which is NOT healthy. But is this really my fault? Should I feel guilty for choosing my life over him?
before you answer I would request you to read a few of my previous questions regarding him.. they'll make the situation clearer for you. Thank you for you time.. i really need some answers right now
It was a crappy relationship. A fight every single day... i was never the one who initiated them... was I a crappy girlfriend?
Please, before answering, read a few of my previous questions regarding him. Please

3258

Most Helpful Guy

• Your boyfriend chose to make this unfortunate choice of his own free will. No one, and let me say NO ONE is ever worth your life. This is not your fault. That being said, this man from what you have said seems to be the most insecure person I have ever heard of. And he exhibited classic traits of a very unstable personality. He sounds to me like he suffered from low self esteem and massive insecurity. He used you to justify his existence, and blackmailed you into staying with him. He further used you just to make himself feel better about who he was, and be damned your feelings. You were absolutely right to want out of this unhealthy and horribly one-sided relationship. If this man loved you he would have shown you the right love and encouragement for your academic studies. He would have given you your own space. Being in a relationship is not about dominance, or power, it is about two people coming together to share their lives, and because together they make a damn good team and are a stronger team than they are individuals. This was not the case in your relationship. Take heart however, it sounds like you bent over backwards to be the best girlfriend you could. The bottom line is your boyfriend chose to throw away the most sacred gift of all: life. And he made this choice by his own free will. You cannot blame yourself for his mental instability. This is not your fault. You sound like a woman who has a lot of empathy and cares for people. This makes you a good person. But being responsible for his death? NO! Again, he chose to walk this dark path by his own free will, and you had no control over that whatsoever. If you are still having issues coping over this, I would suggest seeing a counselor. It is important not to bottle up your feelings, let them out. They need to come out. You have more people here to support you than perhaps you think. I mean look at all of us here giving you advice and support right? Stay strong and take heart!

• But how do I move on? I can't stop thinking about this. He was my first boyfriend. I was his third girlfriend (1st two relationships failed because of some reasons I don't know fully) . And my first boyfriend committed suicide. I don't think i'll ever even consider getting into a relationshp again if they are supposed to be this exhausting. But I don't know how am I gonna deal with this? I know I don't love him, but this whole incident is just too much to take in. What should I do? I can't talk to my parents about it (dating is kinda forbidden in Indian society)

• Nope he needed you and thought you loved him as much as he loved you... now his mom and dad get to lose there life while you just move past with yours. I can't no I'm sorry I won't have pitty on you because you could have stopped this

• I hope you are well.
      I saw your post and I think I can answer, having experienced the same with my ex.
      The guilt and self blame feelings are there, when you loose someone to suicide, there is no sense of closure and of course there are a lot of questions. what ifs and if only.
      What helped me in this process was therapy: first to deal with the traumatic image of me finding him like that and then to help me process this grief and self blame.
      As everyone else already pointed out, it is a matter of choice and if they decided to quit life, there is nothing that anyone could have done. I can recognize a lot of the emotional patterns in your ex as well and my therapist explained me that these are signs of psychological issues. They needed treatment and professional help, which we could not possibly provide.
      Time is a good healer and it will help settle down all the thoughts and see everything from another perspective.

Heads up, be gentle to yourself in the grieving process and best of luck!