How do I convince my parents to let me get contacts?

I've had glasses for about 4 years now and most of the time they get in the way. I'm an athlete so they used to bend and break before I got these not-as-geeky plastic glasses that don't break as easily. I'm still kind of a geek with them but I think the glasses really kill my game. Whenever my friends and I just give each other make overs, they always say I'd be drop-dead if I got contacts. I think that's a good idea because I'd get guys AND I wouldn't have to worry about them breaking during sports. There are endless reasons why I want to get contacts. But my mom said she had contacts when she was younger and they were really irritating and won't let me go through that (my dad agrees and says that a boy should like me for who I am regardless of glasses which is true...but I'm also doing it for athletic comfort too). She's also worried that if bacteria and stuff gets on/under the contact it could damage my eye and these are the only eyes I will get. All of these statements are true but I can always go back to my glasses for a while if my contacts bug me. Or just not wear either for a short time because I'm not completely blind I just need them to see far away (like the chalkboard, driving, etc.) How do I convince my parents to let me get contacts? Thanks so much!

22

Most Helpful Girl

• When your mom got contacts they were pretty new and just came out but now they're amazing. I wear contacts everyday and they've never bothered me. I got contacts when my eye sight got so bad that I couldn't play sports without my glasses on (I hated those bands they had for athletes with glasses). I actually see better with my contacts in (no fuzzy edges) and I'm way less self conscious. I've had contacts since 8th grade and I'm a junior in college now but I still remember always feeling self conscious and dorky with glasses, especially because none of my friends needed them.

Go do some research and explain to your parents that contacts really are safe and comfortable, if they weren't then people wouldn't wear them. And if you do play a lot of sports you'll feel way better when you're playing, especially if you're playing contact sports, because you'll be able to focus more on the game and less about your glasses falling off and breaking.

What Guys Said 2

• hey glasses are cool these days! If you want contacts then just keep breaking your glasses.

• Haha I already tried that. I do love the way glasses look on me but for sports they get in the way. I could tell them it's for sports though. Thanks :)

• Your profile indicates you're 18 to 24. So just get them if you have the money - you don't have to have their consent.

What Girls Said 1

• well contacts are much more advanced now compared to when your mom was younger and will not irritate you (are made of a thin flexible plastic now), I have had contacts since 8th grade and they don't bother me at all and I have never had an eye infection. oh and one of my ex boyfriends thought glasses were sexy because he had a librarian fetish so if you work your glasses right they could help your game. just tell your mom if the contacts bother you will go back to glasses.