My ex will call and text me drunk but not sober, why?

My ex and I broke up over a year ago, I've had difficulty moving on and he hasn't made it any easier by yo-yo'ing in and out my life.
I found out a few months back he had a girlfriend so I blocked him (or so I thought I did). One night he calls me up telling me he wants to see me and he's in my hometown, he comes round, tells me he's no longer with the girlfriend and wants hugs. Nothing more happened. He wakes up, sober and panicking to find out he's not actually single.. After that though, he did become single but we never spoke.
This past weekend I get another call, this time for longer and he's telling me he loves me, wants kids, wants to move in together and he can't stop thinking about me... He even tells his friends he's talking to me (before he seemed ashamed). But he's mentally messed up, he's suffering with severe depression and seems to find alcohol and drugs help.
I spoke to him briefly the next day and he said he'd message me soon... Days later, I text to see how he is, nothing, no reply! This is the usual act of him, drunkenly talk to me and then ignore me sober.
I realise I'm an ex for a reason, but I have feelings!

Dutch courage? Or just messing with me?

12