Ex-Boyfriend's Family Invited Me to Anniversary Party - Do I Go?

I haven't spoken to him since we broke up like nine months ago. We dated for about 3 years and I got really close to his family (and have kept in contact with them since...they were REALLY good to me). The break up was UGLY cause he cheated on me w/a friend. I'm happily in a relationship w/my boyfriend of six months, and they invited my boyfriend too, but I don't want to see my ex. Do I say yes or no?

32

Most Helpful Guy

• If you say "yes" - expect to see your ex. If you plan for the worst, you'll have pre-planned a classy way to handle a potentially bad encounter (with the ex).

If you say "no" - seeing as you've already spotted the fact that they care about you, they most likely won't hold a grudge against you for not showing.

If I were in your shoes; it would be awkward to sit around for a longer amount of time (3+ hours).. But if you were to stop by for 15-45 minutes (or until your tolerance ran out) then it would show that you do appreciate the invitation and that you can get past your previous experiences.

A fall-back to "avoiding the ex" is to hold your boyfriends hand while speaking with everyone.. It shows your boyfriend that you love him and won't leave him; and it shows this other guy that you're taken.

- And a second one being to speak to your ex when he tries to talk to you. Most people think this second one is "rude", but if you truly aren't interested in speaking with him (like if he's trying to flirt with you), then it's better to do this for both your interests and his. You'll save him from wasting his breath and further spare yourself.

~ ArtistBBoy

What Guys Said 1

• I would tell them that it was nice of them to think of you and that you wish them the best, but that you think that you just wouldn't be comfortable with attending.

What Girls Said 3

• If it was me I wouldn't go. I would call to see the family when I know the ex is not there, thank them for the invite and tell them how much I appreciate it but that I'm really sorry I won't be able to go. I wouldn't tell them its because of the ex because that's not fair on him, regardless of how the relationship ended. At the end of the day its his family and I wouldn't want any awkwardness or tension or drama at their family event. It can be really hard when you're still close to the family but everyone has to move on sometime. Does the ex know you were invited? Cause if he does you could always try speaking with him and saying you'd like to go for his family but its his family and you don't want to cause any hassle. Now if he has the maturity of a 12 year old this isn't going to work. But speaking from experience these things can be very awkward with his family stuck in the middle, loyalties divided, its weird.

• they invited you! You definitly should go, it would be a great opportunity to break the ice. Good luck sweety.

• I'd do it. Fuck what he thinks or says (: Be yourself and have fun, that'll show him that he lost something great and now someone else has it.