Why do guys act so erratic after break ups?

Specifically, when THEY initiated the break up? I'd get it if they were broken up with, but to see such confusing, mixed behavior from them when THEY ended it gets a little baffling.

Some friends and I were discussing exes and weird behavior on their parts and had noticed that in a few instances, they were kind of all over the place. Nice, then weird, then kind of rude, then nice... Rinse and repeat.

Why bother to keep in touch if you're just going to be all over the place emotionally and treat her like crap by dragging her through more emotional confusion? I'd think that the person who was broken up with would have more emotional issues like this. I know break ups affect both parties in various ways, but it's like we're witnessing them emotionally struggle with their decision and they're dragging you along for the ride.

So what gives?

13

Most Helpful Guy

• It's because they're hurt emotionally, but society teaches guys that they aren't supposed to express those feelings. So guys keep those feelings bottled up, but something big like a break-up can create such strong feelings that a guy can't keep them in. This leads some guys to have erratic behavior as bits of emotions escape and affect the way he acts.

• But if he wanted the break up, why such strong, conflicting feelings? I'm not being callus, but I'd think that if one WANTED to break it off, then why are there so many conflicting emotions? Like with my last ex, there were times where I could've sworn it felt like he regretted breaking up and was struggling with that decision. Also, I'd get it if it were a long term relationship, but the few examples discussed were only over the span of a few months...

• He may know that you aren't compatible, want different things, or he may have a problem with something you did or some of your behavior or whatever, and broke up with you for that reason. That doesn't mean he still isn't hurt and feeling lonely as a result. When you're used to being with someone, being alone can be pretty awful for a while.

Girls cry and go talk with their friends and get their emotions out. Most guys don't (can't) do that.

• Yeah, I know. They don't quite have the support system that women have when it comes to these things. That, I get. I think the internal conflict is what gets confusing. Why are they keeping in touch if it's such a struggle? :/ But these guys in question are younger, so yeah...