My boyfriend wants to propose with the same ring he gave his ex-fiance!

Give me your opinion

My boyfriend wants to propose with the same ring he gave his ex-fiance. We have been together for 8 months and its been two years since him and his ex were engaged. I'm worried it will bring back old feelings, I say that only because she broke up with him after cheating on him for more than half of their two year relationship.

184

Most Helpful Girl

• It's so impersonal. He picked out that ring with her in mind, not you (or worse, she picked it out). It doesn't matter if it won't resell for much, it's better to resell it for what little he'll get and then wait until he can afford one that is genuinely for you. That ring is something that you will wear for the rest of your life, it shouldn't be some skank's hand-me-down. I'd rather have a cheap ring that is meant for me than an expensive one that was meant for someone else.

Side note: In high school I was in The Sound of Music and I was playing Elsa, who is the rich woman that the main guy is briefly engaged to. There was a scene in the play in which he and I broke up and I took the ring off and shoved it into his hand and then walked out. Then he had a heartfelt conversation and a duet with the main girl Maria, and then proposed to her immediately after. But the thing that disgusted me was, the ring NEVER left his hand the entire time! I swore then that I would never take some girl's secondhand ring, and neither should you.