Treat Her Right, She's a Keeper [Because She's Hot]

I'll keep this brief, as I usually do...but it's rant time.

When I was in high school, my good friend at the time had a boyfriend...and she would get mad at him for everything. I mean it. Everything. I felt really fucking bad for the dude to be honest. Every time she would have her tantrums, she would go off on a rant about how much better looking she is than him and how he shouldn't treat her badly because of it. It took me longer than it should have to finally tell her to get the fuck over herself.

This sentiment is often expressed by third parties as well. Following the same example above, after we had it out over her vanity...we made up as teenage girls do, and when I went to a sleepover at her house I heard her family telling her that she “shouldn't put up with shit” because she's too pretty.

Most of us have been in a shitty relationship or two. Some of us are probably in one right now.

Could just be me, but it seems too many people assume that “good looking” women deserve to be treated better than others. I don't see this so much for men, but feel free to comment with any examples. I'm sure it's not unprecedented.

Especially when it comes to infidelity and abuse (but we aren't talking about abuse today). An “average looking” housewife can get cheated on, and people express their sympathy, but it in no way compares to the outpouring of sheer anger when a model hot chick gets screwed over.

“How could he possibly cheat on HER, she's gorgeous!”
“Who the fuck does he think he is to cheat on HER”

Let me break something down for you: When you're in a committed relationship, treating your partner badly in any way is not justified by reason of your partner's attractiveness. It is not worse to cheat on or mistreat a more attractive woman.

GASP

Being pretty doesn't entitle you to better (or worse) treatment.

Commie, out.

2660

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think anyone thinks it's more acceptable to cheat on an average or less attractive girl. They are however more suprised but that's because they are looking from the outside in. They see a guy with a girl who they could only dream of getting and often times see him cheat on her with a less attractive girl. So they think "wtf is wrong with you, I would kill to be with a girl that beautiful".

Kinda like a lot of guys fantasize over famous models while guys like Dicaprio just fuck em and toss em without a care in the world. Guys who place beauty on a pedestal often do so because those girls are unobtainable to them. They have an idealized version of them in their head, they often don't know what the girl is like behind the scenes.

Also people (girls included) will overlook flaws in attractive people that they wouldn't overlook in average people. Sometimes this is concious decision, other times it isn't. You could have an attractive person and an average looking person do the exact same thing but chances are it will be perceived differently. That's life :/

Most Helpful Girl

• Exactly. If the women wasn't pretty, people wouldn't feel as sorry for her, or might even treat her worse. I think that shitty behavior is what made me lose faith in humanity. Women, regardless of looks, should be treated equally. Great take. I agree with you.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 59

• I understand the frustration you show here, and I agree. Pretty girls are not entitled to special treatment. Girls I don't find attractive don't suddenly deserve worse treatment.

Honestly, when I am around a girl, I hold off on compliments until I see how she acts about it. If the thinks she is hot stuff, it doesn't matter how attractive she is, I won't compliment her. I feel like she either doesn't deserve it or doesn't need it, that she gets preferential treatment and all I would do is inflate her ego. I tend to be more generous in my compliments to women I am less attracted to or girls who feel they are unattractive. (OK, especially girls who feel they are unattractive.)

I think it is ridiculous how much standard human interactions with women are influenced by their appearance. Guys DO feel effects of physical appearance, for instance tall men get paid more, but I don't notice it in my life nearly to the extent that I observe it happening to women as an outside observer.

When it comes to guys and attractiveness, we have our own sets of issues as well, they just aren't attached to physical appearance so much as attributes one would associate with "manly". For example, it certainly sucks to be rejected for something superficial like appearance, but it also sucks to be rejected for who you are as a person, being told the very core of you doesn't qualify as a man. "Where are the real men?" is such an irritating phrase, especially knowing what she considers a "real man" is a higher standard than she holds for herself. And even worse when the process of qualifying involves morally questionable decisions. It's one of the things that motivates men to turn sour.

My shitty relationship, however, was one where I was considered her oppressor by nature of being a white male. I had to apologize for everything, even if it was her who screwed up. Her mistakes or frustrations were dismissed as the stresses of being a woman, while my mistakes and frustrations were "basic male incompetence" and "the crocodile tears of the privileged". If you have read my MyTakes, this is what started my anti-feminist phase that lasted a while.

• Thanks for the perspective. Your ex sounds like a bitch.

• Perhaps. I'm reluctant to say so in that I try to understand people, especially those I disagree with. I suppose it's more accurate to say her head was wrapped up too much in the Tumblr way of thinking.

• There was a girl who wanted me really badly and I just wasn't into her, she was too young and immature for my liking, despite her being very beautiful. She kept telling me how desired she was, how popular she is, how all the guys want her, she was the head cheerleader, and I kept turning her down, she couldn't believe it and simply did not understand the meaning of "no," she had never been turned down before. After months of bugging me I finally agreed for one date, I ended the date halfway through telling her she was everything I feared she was and that there was no chance of us being together.

• Yeah I've heard people that have been upset because a particularly attractive girl was cheated on or treated poorly in a relationship. I guess the reason for that logic is a more attractive girl usually has more options. I agree; I don't think that makes treating a more average looking girl poorly is okay.

Part of what I think is going on though (which is separate from supposed pretty girls like your friend was proclaiming to her bf) is when a person goes thougha breakup (especially when a persons friends thinks the girl was mistreated) people will tend to want to comfort that person by saying statements like how they deserve better, etc . Basically trying to convince the person dealing with the stress that they are a better person and better off without the other person. They're trying to soothe the person. But yeah saying that they are so attractive (the guy is crazy for cheating apparently) is one tactic to help that person feel better.

• If someone enters a relationship thinking their partner isn't the hottest thing in the world, regardless of how other people perceive then they shouldn't really be in a relationship to begin with.

I see all the rate me threads on here and chuckle. I even saw a how low would you go /10 thread.

When are people going to realise beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I could go out with a woman who is considered stunning to me but not too others. Therefore I would say vein people are best avoided. You want someone who doesn't think twice about looks really.

• Very true.

I fear we might be fighting a losing battle. Here's an article which may be of interest to you about how a child's appearance may very well influence parental attentiveness:
    www.nytimes.com/2005/05/03/health/03ugly.html?_r=0

For the record, I agree that we seem to cut more slack with beautiful women than handsome men. However, I have some very handsome friends and girls cut them a lot more slack than their less attractive counterparts.

• Boys don't like commie up in their studios cuz she leaves their mics broke <3 #SoundedSmootherInMyHead

Nice take and I couldn't agree more ^_^

i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif</a>

• noiiiice. yeah society does put beautiful people up on that pedestal. :P

• I'd agree that looks and attitude can/will let people get away with anything. There's this example for the girls, and there's also the guy who created a dating profile with a hot guy's pics and opened all conversations with rape jokes. They were throwing themselves at him. So both guys and chicks get treated better/worse because of their looks, it's just human nature.

• Qualities give you advantages. Beauty is one of them. But beauty can be valued by others not oneself so it would depend upon how weak the observer is.

• Basically, if we stop judging on the outside appearance, this world will be fucking awesome. I like your takes.
    wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/.../thumbs-up.jpg

• You should get microphone insurance. You seem to drop a lot of those...

• I will admit, I was skeptical because of the title, but the article is 100% truth.

Well done. I normally don't agree with you, but I will here.

People always treat prettier people better because they're thirsty

• Your high school friend is a bitch!

• She is. I told her to fuck off for good after high school haha. Because of uppity behavior like that.

• That's going to be my official sign off for mytakes lol

• Simple yet badass! Good call!

• I think it's important not only for yourself but actually for her as well, to keep the girl in check from the beginning.
    Send INDIRECTLY through your behavior the message that "yeah you're good looking. Then what? Beauty is common, my classroom / my workplace is loaded with hotties. What else do you bring me? Because if that is actually all, it's only good for a one night stand or a fuck buddy. Is that what you are / want to be?"
    You don't say it of course. That's cold. You just behave like this is how it is.

By validating the assumptions that she is "better", a guy would be self-sabotaging the health of his relationship with the girl. They would both suffer from it.

If the girl says "I'm so much better looking than you, how dare you do this to me, or say that bla bla bla" then you just need to reply "then get the fuck out... no one is forcing you to stay here with me..." and ACTUALLY MEAN IT. The irony is that if she feels that you could totally be ok with her leaving, she suddenly won't feel like leaving anymore.

I'm totally positive about this, because I have experienced it myself lol. It's some fucked psychological trick I guess but it works. As soon as she realises the guy doesn't think she's some kind of gift of god, but just some girl, she will be annoyed and intrigued at the same time "I'm so above his league, how can he NOT be affected that I would dump him?"
    Even if you think the guy may be bluffing, in the heat of the moment, it still strikes you.

Treating her like a normal person is the best way to keep her, no matter how gorgeous she is. Everybody wants to be treated like they are normal. That's why celebrities prefer to hang out in places where people don't care about who they are.

• @ If the girl says "I'm so much better looking than you, how dare you do this to me, or say that bla bla bla" then you just need to reply "then get the fuck out... no one is forcing you to stay here with me..." and ACTUALLY MEAN IT. The irony is that if she feels that you could totally be ok with her leaving, she suddenly won't feel like leaving anymore.

Agreed.

• This is true. I was always wanting to leave my boyfriend. Until just recently, he's started to react differently. He doesn't beg and cry and get angry anymore, he just sulks and says, "okay." Since he did that, I haven't tried to leave him once. And it's not because of me being better looking, but it's something and I don't know what. I suddenly realized how much of a bitch I'd been to him. I had been taking him for granted. I think the shock of him being okay with me leaving woke me up. I was like, "Hold on, you're not going to be sorry over what you did until I feel like you suffered enough and forgive you? Wait, let's talk this out now."
      It works, guys. If you treat her like a princess, she'll get bored. Treat her like a normal person, but love her, too.

• glad females back me up on this :)

• Hot women make men do the most stupid things (me included). Attraction is a bitch, but it is. I am a bit saddened, here is an example: my one friend who is pretty chubby, is one of those guys that is very confident, very funny and really cool. He actually got a hottie recently and automatically went from fun to behaved. That's fine, whatever. But something happened now (I don't know what) but he is sending apology status updates on FB everyday. He is posting forgiveness memes and all sorts of vomit shit and obviously he did something that got him in to trouble. But I have never seen such confidence turn to pussy in my life.

• Yeah, that is true nice take😊
    I have seen many girls, who thinks like they are special and guy means noting (because she is a gergous) and yes, everyone have to be treated nice😊

• For once I actually agree with you lol.

• One would ask why you're in a committed relationship in the first place.

• This isn't just a one way thing ya know, The exact same happens when the Gender roles are Reversed.

Hot guys are just as Privellaged as hot girls.

• Kind of. It has less to do with physical appearance, but yes, it is still there.

For girls it is almost entirely in looks. I hate seeing guys put up with the worst bullshit on the basis that she is hot, and he is constantly reminded "how lucky he is to be with her." It puts him in an apologetic stance, and puts her in a "I can do whatever the hell I want" stance.

Some guys say "if she's worth it, she won't be easy", but I say "if she's worth it, she'll meet you halfway." Guys and girls would have a lot to gain if guys become less desperate and girls step up to the plate.

• It is not reversal that it happening, it is erasure. Gender rolls are becoming a thing of the past. We will stop attributing behaviors and tasks based on one's genitals. It is about time, too.

• Beauty is skin deep.
    Ugly runs deep to the bone.

I feel sorry for your friend.
    - Aging will be exceptionally difficult for her. The agony of her first wrinkle
    - She too blows bubbles in the bathtub, no more nor less fragrant than mine
    - An ounce of weight gained is a pound of despair
    - She makes no deposits to her emotional bank account
    - The universe is indifferent to her looks.
    - Her entitlement is a false god and will betray
    - Unloved, she will die unwept, unhonoured and unsung.

• More from Guys
    39

What Girls Said 25

• A friend of mine yesterday, was like yours. She would give him the silent treatment, tell him to leave her alone and was causing a really pathetic argument because she wasn't getting her way. He was constantly trying to make her laugh, make compromises for her etc but she wasn't accepting or appreciating it. She's younger than me so that could explain her immature behaviour but it really bugged me. He's clearly a nice guy that respects her but she's treating him like shit, then goes on to act like nothing happened. She's totally messing with his head. I totally disagree with that. Some people don't deserve others.

I agree with your rant. I think good looking girls get better treatment from men because the man wants her so he'll do anything to get her so he naturally starts treating her like royalty until he does get her or her attention. The more men who like her, the more of that good treatment she gets and the bigger her head gets. It's like a domino effect and is something we can't do much about unfortunately.

• Yeah, it's actually quite similar to the cycle of domestic abuse. The abused party feels they owe the abuser, made the abuser that way, or are responsible for fixing them. In my own personal experience, it's hard when it is the guy in that situation, because people don't feel sorry for a vulnerable man in nearly the same way they do a woman. This was shown quite starkly in DV against men videos, where bystanders immediately assume that because the woman was beating the man, he was a jerk who deserved it.

• @OpenClose I wouldn't say it was abuse, she was just being immature and wasn't enforcing proper communication.
      @Mesonfielde Most likely not.

• Yeah, I meant it has the same subtexts.

• Yeah this is so true... the average girls like myself get screwed over and it's just brushed off. I have to be kind all the time too otherwise I'll just get dumped or something. But if the girl is pretty then guys will put up with a lot of shit and the girl can basically do anything and it will be OK. I see it on this website daily. Guys putting up awful behavior from girls and then they blame us and say we go for the "bad guys". Lol.

• HAHA I never even thought of it that way, but holy shit so true.

• Every girl I look at I just see her. Some girls have the same eyes she does, others have the same nose she does, or the same lips, hair, etc. If they dont have something of her's, then they aren't as attractive to me.

Why even have a girlfriend when I will just pretend the new girl is her. Its not fair to either of us.

• @DaddyRollingStone

I understand... well I'm always hoping I'll meet the right guy for me. But I also have a specific "look" I tend to fall for.

• This is so true it's sad. Although, girls like that give other attractive women a bad name. I have met many wonderful, bright, gorgeous young women that I have the privilege of calling my friends, that would never in a million years behave in such a way. I believe an integral part of this mindset stems from how these women were raised and how they are treated by others who find them incredibly attractive. As for the cheating aspect, it's a horrendous thing to do to someone a person "loves" and you're absolutely right, attractiveness should not play a role in determining how bad that particular act of cheating was.

• Girl, yes. I have friend just like that and I don't know if I'll be able to continue in this friendship for much longer. After the first couple of months of knowing her, the guy she was talking with at the time (they were about to get in a relationship) made out with another girl at a party. She was very mad and I remember so many of her friends as well as guys (who were chasing after her) saying how he completely fucked up because my friend was too pretty. They couldn't understand why or how he had possibly done this to her when she is so beautiful. She now has a boyfriend and is always getting mad at him for stupid shit yet she deliberately flirts with so many guys which I have to witness and think is very wrong. She thinks she can get away with it because she's attractive. The girl is one of the most conceited people I've ever met and sometimes it gets on my nerves how society thinks men should treat women according to their physical appearances. It's just fucked up. I'm so close to telling her to get the fuck over herself too.

• It's true, people value beauty a lot. And not only when you're talking about romantic relationships, even if someone dies you'll hear people say "That's terrible, she was gorgeous". So what if she wasn't gorgeous? She wouldn't deserve the same sympathy? This is just another example. So many people stay in difficult relationships and abusing relationships just because their partner is good looking.

• In relevance to your situation:
    I think it's less about the fact that she's pretty (even though beauty/attractiveness is valued a lot in relationships. It's more about the fact that everyone knows in physical terms that guy can't do better. Yes she's being petty/bitchy/a bad girlfriend for reminding him of it all the time.
    Although, the point is she can replace him easily with someone else or someone better (at least better looking) so he should be pulling all the stops before she decides she'd rather be with someone else.

In general:
    When people think 'my garsh why is she even paying attention to him', then find out he doesn't even treat her right they then say 'shes too good/pretty for him etc.'. No one with good intentions says anything if they can see the two of them are really really happy.
    I short, the prettier/more attractive she is the more attention she gets and if she's in a relationship she should be swatting all that attentions away. Her man cheats on her/treats her badly and people wonder why she's giving him a 2nd thought. She could easily be with someone else who will treats her better due to all that attention she gets elsewhere. That's what they mean when they say 'she's gorgeous/too pretty' etc. Although it doesn't actually work this way in her mind. If she's truly gorgeous she knows yes she can get a lot of attention, but she's not actually interested in most of it. Attractive people are rarer that average. Average is more frequent than very ugly.

IMO:
    This is the reason why I don't date men I don't think are of similar attractiveness to me. I don't want a guy that is average, I don't want to to be put on a pedestal, I don't want a man who thinks he's better than me (although more attractive men don't intimidate me) I want a guy who sees us as equal.
    If every one of my friends was telling me I could do better (not that it's happened yet) i'd listen and take serious thought as to why and where what they say is true. It would still be my decision at the end though.

• Love this, love you, love these takes☆
    You got a good head on your shoulders, awesome job.

• Awesome rant. 100% on the money

• It bothers me how much people will treat others just based on their looks. Guess what? That hot girl is a human being and stinks up a bathroom just as much as someone who isn't attractive. Just like everyone else.

• i just love this take!! nice job Commie!

• I completely agree wow your friend and her family sounds so conceited but I blame soceity for the ideas of if you look like this girl or this guy you will have a better life. It's ashame

• First of all a woman being so pretty only lasts fro a few years there Avery narrow window of time where that " charm" can be used it's really flimsy and in no way Compensates for all the ways women get fucked over for being women.

Second why feel bad for him it's his choice he could've dumped her.

Third you've got so, e taste in friends :p I'd have dumped her a friend ever since the first time she insisted she deserve anything bc of how she looks. Vain people can't be trusted bc deep down they had no confidence and cowards will sell their soul for affirmation.

• It is only natural for someone to see a gorgeous girl and wonder why someone would cheat on her. It is just natural. It doesn't make them a bad person or anything.

I don't know what the point of this was... to bash how pretty girls get treated better than average looking girls? Not their fault they are pretty and society treats them differently.

I think, it isn't "pretty" girls that have the family saying they don't deserve the shit... it is the "spoiled" girls.

• That's so true. But it's not only in relationships. People tend to be more interested in you when you're good looking, whether you're just friends, working together, etc. This is so silly. I had a friend once who told me, speaking about this other girl, "I can't stand her, she's even ugly!" and I was like "WTH?"

• lol this is so true I've something like that happened to me too. what I noticed is that even guys treat other guys better if they are good-looking which is weird. maybe they are gay deep down and don't know it yet.

• I think your Take applies to anyone who is in a relationship with someone who is "out of their league" regardless of gender.

Back in high school when I was fat, I dated an athlete who was very attractive by most peoples standards. I cannot tell you how many times someone would tell me that I should feel "lucky" or "grateful" to be dating him (because fat girls are like totally undateable, obviously). It didn't matter who had started the argument or what my side of the story was, people, including my friends, thought I should always be the one to apologize and sweep it under the rug.

One of his friends even encouraged him to cheat on me (he didn't) and said "dude, c'mon it's not like she's going to leave you even if she found out. Who else would date her?"

• Nice take. It's really true

• doesn't matter how hot and perfect you look. You don't really have to be special and you could still get treated like shit

• Amen to that!!!

• Beauty can only be valued for so long.

But it's true, especially in third world countries that the beautiful people get better treatment, better job prospects, better suitor prospects.

It's a tale as old as time.

• Spot on again :)

• More from Girls
    5