Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I myself got stuffed with all kinds of gassy, nasty, burp infested foods. As the old army saying goes... "Eat now taste it later." In my defense I wasn't going on a first date or anything. Recently a client emailed me this question so I thought I would write a short article on it. Most of this stuff is common sense... YEAH YEAH but still fun to pontificate what really goes on. So hope you enjoy and as always.. please read responsibly!
Date night has arrived and you are both excited for that first date. Where should we eat? What should we order? What sounds good? Many times guys forget that they are on a first date and will order what they usually order when they are with their buddies at the local pub. Ladies always think about what they should order before hand and usually in my experience it's a salad. Salads are usually safe except if it contains spinach, corn, or onions. Spinach and corn will stick to the teeth and onions will stay with you all night.
So what should we order? Well here is a list of foods not to order when on a first date and a few examples of what to get instead.
1. Chicken Wings or Ribs. This is a complete disaster waiting to happen. I know those wings with blue cheese dressing on the side sound good.... but the chicken will get in your teeth and the sauce goes everywhere else. Remember its a first date. Order the steak braugh!
2. Draft Beer. Come on fellas ... nothing like burping up that bubbly brew in the car with the distinct odor of dinner. Stick with a mixed drink like Vodka and Tonic.
3. Garlic and Crab Legs. For most guys garlic creates more gas then a 7/11 gas station. Remember this when ordering any types of pasta or bread. Crab legs sound good at a buffet but on a first date there is nothing like that goatee smelling like the ocean for the rest of the night. Instead order some Oysters Rockefeller... very classy and dont' forget to share... it's an aphrodisiac.
4. Dough. Yes you heard me right....Dough. Anything made of dough like rolls, big sandwiches, garlic knots, nachos, etc. This my friend will put on 3 pounds at the table and make you very uncomfortable. It's called Bloating. Stick with the low carb and low fat options.
5. Shots. First date fellas.. not a bachelor party. Keep it classy.
1. Red Wine. That beautful smile he loves and adores... SEE YA.... gone. Red wine is a smile killer and if you have some pretty chops then stay away. Go for a white wine, non sparkling.
2. Crazy Salads. I see way too many salads these days with secret ingredients that love your teeth. Spinach sticks to teeth very quickly and you will never know it. There are a lot of salads out there with corn or celery which are both teeth killers. The dressings have hidden odors and fats which you will burp up later in the night. Not very romantic. Instead go for a nice white fish with rice or if you really want to impress... order that steak.
3. Vegetables. The Green Giant is very popular but when it comes to a first date ....these green power foods will make you gas the night away. If you must order a veggie than stick with Grilled Asparagus.......they might make your pee smell but shouldn't give you that gassy bloated feeling.
4. Oreo Cookies. I think we all know what these tasty dark chocolate treats do to your teeth. So many cheese cakes, ice creams, etc.....have oreo cookies in them. Just be careful they will come back to haunt you and your smile. Instead, try a nice cool slice of Key Lime Pie with an espresso.
5. Coffee. If this is a coffee date then this is fine which I highly recommend on first dates. If you are at dinner and going to a show, a walk, down to the beach, etc.... then coffee is the worst thing to have at the end of dinner. Nothing like coffee breath for that first kiss. I recommend espresso. This coffee is usually the best to get because it doesn't last long. It's gone before you know it. Bring some mints.. HINT HINT.