If Dating Was a Game of Poker

ChromAzonyx108

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

Poker and dating have their similarities. I've taken some poker terminology and given a definition of what it means when it comes to dating. Here's the format I'm using:

Term

Definition in Poker:

Definition in Dating:

Bad Beat

Poker: A good hand that is “cracked” or beaten by a better hand that usually was way behind but hit a lucky draw.

Dating: When things are working out but you’re cock-blocked by someone who has something better to offer.

Bleed

Poker: To consistently lose chips through bad play, possibly resulting from tilting.

Dating: When you’re heart breaks from having been rejected so much, then you're bleeding out.

Blinds

Poker: The mandatory bets made by the first two players to the left of the dealer button.

Dating: The person who pays for the date…usually guys :P

Bluff

Poker: Making a bet without the best hand in the hope that your opponent(s) will fold and you will win the pot.

Dating: When someone lies about any aspect of themselves so that they can compete with others and get what they want.

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

Calling Station

Poker: A player who calls too often is a calling station.

Dating: A clingy person who won’t leave you alone OR when a guy will hit on any girl that passes by no matter how many times they get rejected.

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

Chasing the Flush / Flush Draw

Poker: When a player has four cards in his hand of the same suit and is hoping to draw a fifth to make a flush.

Dating: When you’re a 5/10 chasing a 9/10 and you’re chances of succeeding are low but can be very rewarding if it pans out.

Check Raise

Poker: To check when it is your turn to bet and then, after someone else bets, to raise that player’s bet.

Dating: When you know you have something good to offer but play it cool so that you can raise the stakes and get more from the opposite sex.

Continuation Bet

Poker: A bet from a player on the flop who raised pre-flop is known as a continuation bet or simply a c-bet.

Dating: When you’re not sure if a relationship is going to work out but you continue to play along - this will either pay off nicely or completely backfire.

Donkey

Poker: An opponent who plays poorly and seems to be throwing his money away.

Dating: A guy who sucks at picking up girls OR someone a girl takes advantage of for a free meal.

High Card

Poker: A hand that is judged on the value of the highest ranked card among the five.

Dating: Someone who is single and stoned.

Loose

Poker: Loose poker players will often play a wide variety of hands.

Dating: Someone who is desperate enough to go out with just about anyone.

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

Poker Face

Poker: A blank expression that does not reveal anything about the cards being held.

Dating: When someone is hiding their emotions or intentions.

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

Probe Bet

Poker: A bet made primarily to gain information by gauging opponents' reactions, especially a small bet made in pot-limit or no-limit games.

Dating: A weak attempt at attracting or picking someone up, done in order to gage their interest in you.

Railbird

Poker: Someone who hangs around a poker room who watches the games and/or is looking to get into action.

Dating: Almost the same – a guy who hangs around a bar who watches the girls and/or is looking to get into action.

Raise

Poker: To increase the previous bet.

Dating: An erection. ex: she gave him a raise

Represent

Poker: To represent a hand is to play as if it were held (whether it is or not).

Dating: Pretending to be something you’re not; putting on airs.

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

Re-raise

Poker: To raise a raise.

Dating: When the girl also gets aroused.

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

Rainbow

Poker: Three or four board cards of different suits. If a flop contains three different suits it is said to be rainbow. If the turn is a card of the fourth suit, a flush will not be possible.

Dating: When you’re not sure what a person’s sexuality is and things could go either way.

Rock/Nit

Poker: A tight-passive player.

Dating: Someone who has extremely high standards and unrealistic expectations and, as such, isn’t likely to ‘win’ at the dating game.

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

...but to be fair:

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

If Dating Was a Game of Poker

Seating List

Poker: A waiting list. A player would put his or her name on this list if there were no seats at the table at which they wish to play.

Dating: When someone has you put on back-up if things don’t work out with the person they’re pursuing; a 'little black book'.

Shills

Poker: Shills are paid props who help start and maintain poker games.

Dating: Wing-men or wing-women.

Tight

Poker: Tight poker players usually play a small number of only the best hands.

Dating: Someone who is picky about who they will date and has high standards. This is different from a rock/nit as the standards can be reasonable.

Tilt

Poker: A player who has lost his discipline and is playing too loosely and very aggressively in a desperate attempt to win a pot is said to be on tilt. This is normally caused by a series of bad beats that has frustrated the victim.

Dating: Almost the same - a guy who has lost his discipline and is playing too loosely and very aggressively in a desperate attempt to win a girl is said to be on tilt. This is normally caused by a series of cock blocks that has frustrated the victim.

Two Pair

Poker: Two cards of matching rank, with another two cards of another rank

Dating: A double date, two girls and two guys.

Walking Sticks

Poker: A pair of sevens.

Dating: High-heels.

Wow, that was 25 terms - I didn't think I had so many. Sorry if this myTake was a bit long. There are many other poker terms though so I challenge you to come up with an analogy that isn't on my list.

If Dating Was a Game of Poker
1
7

Most Helpful Guy

• the_rake
    Haha awesome, I love this way of thinking. I would identify most with tight (aggression), check raise (playing it cool), continuation bet (knowing when to commit to something). Some things to try but be wary of : bluffing/misrepresentation (spicing up the truth), probe bet (when you don't want to take a massive risk but willing to chip in a little), chasing the flush (when you feel maybe its safe to punch a bit out of your league) and railbird (if you want an outside perspective but without coming over as a creep).
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• apple24
    I know nothing about poker! haha! Um But I read everything under dating!
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

06
  • SebastianAllDay
    I like this, poker is fun and can be difficult. Same with dating! I reckon I'll stick to blackjack though with better odds and hope that works in the dating scene too!!
  • GypsyBlood
    Life is harsh, it isn't that cut or dry, good analyzation though.
  • DarkHumorRUs
    I don't know how to do either of those things.
  • Anonymous
    If dating were like poker. Woman would have a large sum of chips while most men will start out with like 1-3 chips. When we look at it form 20's perspective. By 30's men have more chips than woman having amassed it over the years in the game. By 35+, women are now in the position of men while men are in position of woman when it comes to dating.
  • Anonymous
    I didn't read all of that but I'd say if it was like poker then I would have folded every single hand...
  • Anonymous
    As opposed to what it actually is; a game of poke-her.
    • I wish I thought of that one, that's pretty good. It also has sexual connotations.

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!