How Being Short has Destroyed my Life

How Being Short has Destroyed my Life

This will never happen to me (the picture above).

My whole life I have always been short. I was born 3 months prematurely, so from the day of my birth I was undersized, like the runt of the litter. Year after year, I was always the shortest boy in my grade. Today, as a 'fully grown' adult (lol) at 175cm/5'9'', it is extremely rare for me to ever come across another man who is shorter than me. If I do, it is usually a very old man or Asian one (I am half Asian/half white).

How Being Short has Destroyed my Life

Basically my shortness (combined with being as skinny as a rake) has been the bane of my existence. It is what caused me to be self-conscious, develop an inferiority complex and ultimately social anxiety. There is literally nothing anyone can say to make me feel better about it. My whole life I have been disadvantaged because of being short. Not only in relationships, but in everything else too. People don't respect me. I can't play any sports. I get passed over for jobs. People look down on me and don't want to be my friend.

How Being Short has Destroyed my Life

Sure I could move to some Asian country where I would be more close to average, but I don't want to and it is basically impossible anyway because of immigration laws. So I am stuck living in a world where everyone is taller than me and getting taller all the time. When I see young teenagers, both boys and girls, most are taller than me. As an adult, no woman has ever shown any interest in me whatsoever and I can understand why. What woman would want to be with someone like me who is the size of a 13/14yo boy? Women want a man, not the weird undersized man-boy thing that I am.

So I have basically accepted the fact that no one will ever love me and I will be alone for the rest of my life.

How Being Short has Destroyed my Life

Are there any guys out there who are as short or shorter than me? How do you deal with it and how does your size affect you? And girls, what are your honest opinions about short guys? Have you ever been with a short guy, even one shorter than you? What was it like?

#short #guy

How Being Short has Destroyed my Life

2751

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• My dad at 5'10 commands a room 10x more than I ever can despite being 3 inches taller.

You've destroyed your own life. You are not even short smh...

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 26

• Get over yourself. It's your self-defeatist attitude and entitlement of women that is keeping you single. Work on the way you approach women and view yourself before you start complaining that your height is your problem

And you're not short. I consider anybody to be tall if they're still taller than me when I wear 6" heels. You are 3" taller than me when I wear 6" heels, so I consider you to be tall. In flats, you are 9" taller than me. If 9" taller than me is you still complaining that you're too short for me, then I don't know what to tell you because that's a bunch of bull shit in your head.

I in fact have a friend who is shorter than you at 5'3" and he and his roommate who is also 5'3" have no problem finding women because they're nice guys and treat women well. They have self confidence and esteem, two things women find attractive that you don't have

Reality check

• It's not me who is tall, it's you who are a midget.

• But most of tall girls write on the internet that they hate short guys.

• err, no. I read a take the other day that said pretty much the exact opposite

• 1|1
  • "Short" isn't your problem. It's the insecurity and bitterness that you ooze out everywhere you go.

5'9 isn't even short. It's friggin average. I've dated guys shorter than you. So have lots of women.

• 5'9 is a far cry from being short. My boyfriend is 5'3 and I wouldn't want him any other way.

• @moheanuu20 he wouldn't be as attractive if he was taller. Being short is part of his persona and suits him well.

• "I love that he's so tiny" — this sounds creepy as hell!

• My boyfriend (husband to be) is shorter than you, I'd say 4ft 10 and he's 19 he's not going to grow any taller, he's always been insecure because of his height my friends laugh at his height but I admire him so much that it doesn't matter, I've always said to myself I'm gonna marry a guy so much taller than me, but im actually taller than him a tiny bit, he's never had a girlfriend and thought he would never get one but look now we are engaged, time is the key and your time will come I promise

• What? Your boyfriend is 4'10?
      Seriously?
      How tall are you?

• LOL you would make a cute hobbit family and your children will be cute hobbits.

• LOL i hope so

• Lol? My boyfriend is exactly my height, 5'7. He hasn't had any problems pulling girls (he's more experienced than me, in fact), he's very social and extroverted, sporty, funny, charming, smart. People, me included, look up to him (pun not intended heh) because he's a great man with many positive traits.
    I doubt it's your height that has put you at a disadvantage. I'm 100% sure it has to do with your negative attitude, lack of confidence, the fact that you victimize yourself, pity yourself, and blame your problems on things that are out of your own control. If my boyfriend talked about himself in the same way you do, you bet your ass I wouldn't be with him right now.

• People usually look down on short guys.

• Mentally? No, not if they're confident and good people. The only ones looking down on them in that case would be those who lack confidence themselves, and would prefer to focus on other people and their "imperfections" because they can't stand thinking about their own.

• 5'9" isn't short! Sure, it's not 6' tall. But 5'9" isn't bad!! Plenty of women are shorter than that. Plus that guy in the prom picture standing on the stool looks fly as F*** in my opinion!

I think your issue is the lack of confidence, not height. I know plenty of shorter dudes who have no issues getting ladies.

• 5'9 isn't short at all! My ex was something like 5'4 and I'm 5'1 lmao. My current boyfriend is 6'3 and we look ridiculous together but who cares? Honestly I wish he was more like your height lol. No one cares about height, really! You're not even short, I'd say that's average. Maybe you just need to find a short girl to boost your confidence :D

• This take is ridiculous lol like a C cup girl complaining her boobs are too small when they're actually just fine.

5'9 isn't short.

I don't think it's your alleged "shortness", it's your insecurity. My dad is a tiny 5'3-5'4 maybe man and the man was a pussy slayer, which wasn't a good thing because he would always cheat on my mom.
    My brothers are both like 5'5-5'6, one of them is dating a 5'7 woman, the other a 5'8-5'9 woman. Both of them are shorter than their gfs, and my older brother almost always dates tall women.
    I'm not saying it's "ideal" for most women, but definitely not something that's impossible to overcome.

• It's pathetic as hell, your brothers need a reality check. They are ugly to most girls.

• @moheanuu20 because he is? I have small boobs and that's not an insult. My brother is fat and that's not an insult either. I can simply list characteristics without having negative connotations to them. Y'AKK are the morons misinterpretating them

• 5ft 9 isn't short. I went out with a guy that was 5ft 4

• 5'9 isn't short. You start being a short man under 5'8".

• Still you would happily choose a tall guy over a manlet like me.

• You can enlarge it by gaining confidence among other things.

• I'll try, but it's hard.

• The problem is you've made being short your whole life and you've made it into the biggest deal. I know plenty of shorties who are in LTR's and you know why? Because they don't go on about how fucking short they are 24/7

• As stated below in the comments, 5 9" isn't short. kmft

• i've gone on a date with someone shorter than me. honestly, your personality and some other qualities matter too! i like some other things about him so I would definitely keep dating him. so if you have other good qualities be sure to show them off - girls that are actually keepers will like it!

• You're not that short. What's destroying your life isn't your height, but your negativity, your lack of confidence and the fact that you go out of your way to feel sorry for yourself.

• 5'9 is not near short. it is the boundary for me between tall and short.

• What are you talking about? You are not short. That's my boyfriends height and I fin him pretty average between other men.

• O. o 5'9 isn't short though, it's average height.

• You're joking right?

• But you are not short.

• 5'9" isn't short. It's average (or slightly below)

• No. One. Cares. About. Height. Women care about height like men care about boobs. Most men like big boobs, like to see them, prefer them, but most still like small boobs. Maybe not as much but when they like a girl that usually won't be a big deal. Girls feel the same way about height.

• Reason why i love tall guys only
    I don't want my future son suffer like that

• If you are a short guy it is more difficult, no doubt. If you have confidence, however, you can go quite far. See the famous chef Marcus Samuelsson and his wife.

cache4.asset-cache.net/.../...-haile-wireimage.jpg

• you are not that short

• Is this satire? I have three guy friends who are 5'5, 5'3, and 5'6. All are married or dating, all have well paying jobs and the live in the same world you do. My dad is friends with a University president who 5'5, and he's the boss of everyone. Let's start with less "I am a victim of my height," and more, let me go out and stop obsessing over height and bringing yourself down for no reason, and start going after what you want with some confidence. The only thing holding you back is the belief that you can't be more than your height, and that's sad because at 5'9, you are an AVERAGE sized male. Look it up.

What Guys Said 50

• If you are as miserable as you say, it's because you choose to dwell in all the negative stuff you mentioned. Another choice you can make is to accept what you are and ignore stupid things from others. You are not that short and you have chosen to be so miserable while doing nothing to change your situation. I've seen many, many boys/men who are shorter than you. There are a ton of short men who are very successful in life. An example is actors. The majority are short men. Why, I don't know. There are many short men who have very successful careers in their chosen profession. Audie Murphy who was an actor in the 50's and 60's was 5'5". He also is the most decorated soldier in WWII. He never let his height dictate what he could do. A lot of rock stars are short men as well as many other professions. The whole point is that you choose to let what you consider a handicap dictate everything. Did you not get the jobs because you are short or because you didn't fit what the people doing the hiring were looking for or maybe you weren't dressed professionally. My point is that their are so many reasons people don't get hired. For you to assume it's because of your height is just your not liking being your height. Hell, I'm 6'3" and have been turned down on jobs I wanted. Am I too tall? There is nothing wrong with you other than the attitude you have allowed yourself to have. Is life tougher on short men, yes in many ways, but it doesn't mean they are lessor than tall men. Work hard for what you want and don't let rejection dictate what or who you are.

• It's so easy to cheer me up when you are 6'3'' yourself.

• Complain to God! You are a cry baby that wants to dwell in your misery instead of do something about it. Wish all you want that you were taller. Keep that up and your still going to be 5'9" when you are old. Be miserable because you certainly won't gain success with your "short stature".

• Thanks, that's my fate.

• Brother, as a man who is 6'3' I envy those below six foot. Especially when my girlfriend in 13 inches shorter than me (it can make hugging, kissing, and sex difficult sometimes). But my troubles aside, own your height. Confidence in yourself will carry you leagues beyond where being six foot plus would brring you. Confidence is very attractive for women (from experience and what I'm told). Let your personality dominate a room, not your height and your love life will do a complete 180.

Protip: Don't even consider lift inserts or elevator shoes. Just like padded bras, they'll eventually come off and the world will know you have been perpetrating a fraud.

• 6'3''' is ideal height.

• Most people don't care, but these people would never say anything about it because they REALLY don't care! That leaves the other group, they care, and they are loud and obnoxious about it, because they care about it so much. This gives the impression that everybody thinks what these loud people do. Most people don't care.

Now true, more women tend to care. Maybe 60% of all women are psychotically obsessed with male height. As for men, honestly, I think less than 30% care about your height. I certainly don't "look down" on my shorter friends, I don't feel sorry for them or treat them any different, and I wouldn't let anybody else give them any shit or hurt them either.

I swear, most people are nice and decent, but you attract and repel certain people based on your own energy. Being mopey and self-conscious and full of anger and pity puts off serious bad vibes, and it's grating to nice people. So you have to FAKE it 'til you make it.

You really will make it. You can fake your way to confidence, fake your way out of depression. The secret is getting back on the horse after you fall. It takes years, bro. YEARS. But you'll make it, you can change your life. It's just hard.

The hard work will pay off. If you work hard.

• First of all 175 cm is not short. It's about average.

Second of all I sense a strong insecurity in you and you blame your height for all problems.

I would never say this but in this particular case it is a much needed remedy for you: MAN UP!
    And keep trying to take charge in your life or else you will remain where you are now.

Get rid of that victim mentality already or women keep being disinterested in you. Seriously!

• Where the hell do you live, Mr Anon?
    I am 5'8" and here in Australia that was about average for my generation (born 1957).
    If 5'9" is not enough for you, find out where Tom Cruise has his shoes made.

• Bro, 5'9 is not short. It's average
    Usually Id agree with the height situation but you're exaggerating unless everyone around you is simply tall, which would just be luck of the draw

• www.court-records.net/.../bratworth-shrug(d).gif

Dude, I'm 5'6" and girls love me. Whatever your problem is bro, it's not your height. Moping about things you cannot change is pointless and you will be seen as less attractive because of it.

• Adolph Hitler was 5'8"

weknowmemes.com/.../...itler-had-a-girlfriend1.jpg

Just sayin.

• Ha! I WISH I was 5'9. Your problem is that you're getting depressed just cause you're not built like Cam Newton. They way you feel on the inside projects on that outside. Your lack of confidence shows. Stop being down on yourself or else you're never gonna get over it. Do things that make you happy then go out and do something. You gotta change your outlook

• lol being short does not destroy your life, and 1.75m is not even that short.

Most of my idols are shorter : Shawn Ray, Jason Robinson, etc.

Some other are legends and just a bit higher : Maurice Green, Dan Carter

• This is like saying the nice guys finishes last not the case. I met a women she was taller than me I stepped up when she needed it not knowing her. You could say short man saved the night. So there is not the case about being short or tall. I am shorter than 5"9' she was taller than anyone in the place I was at, at least 6foot.

• I'm 5'8, never had and issue with it. I know plenty of guys shorter than me doing very well with women and life in general. I've gone out with girls my height and taller, and way out of my league. Most girls really don't care.

• I'm 5'4, way below average, and don't give a fuck if someone thinks I'm short. Anyone who judges me or doesn't see me as boyfriend material just because of my height is too shallow and superficial for me to care about.

• I'm confused.
    175cm = 5'7 feet
    not 5'9 feet
    But that is still a fairly good height nonetheless.

I'm at most 5'5 feet. Yeah it sucks I admit it. I got one girlfriend in college But I know I would get more if I was taller.

• 5'9"? No sympathy, you're average height in the US. I'm 5'5" and do alright. You manufactured your own misery.

• I'm just under 5'8" and I have no idea how you say you're so short at 5'9". You're roughly the height of American men. I have friends 5'2" to 5'6" and they get women. Dude, are you joking?

• I'm around 5'10" now the shortest of my 2 brothers, I feel like this guy in the image. LOL

• Bruh. We are the same height and I want to be SHORTER. Seriously, how can you consider yourself super short?

• I am 5'4 and I have a girlfriend of almost 3 years 4 months. All my ex besides one were taller than me. Its your insecurity that is the problem.

• I tell you what : I'm exactly your height and believe me I was suffering what you are suffering right now. I got over it. Wanna know how? Accept your F*** self as a human being bro. ( excuse my language, I want it to come out from my heart.)
    Just like anything else its genes , and guess what u had no control on it.
    And what u said about love is not true , wanna know why? Cause love isn't about looks. Love isn't about height or anything like that. Love should be sth greater than that , or its not love and F*** it.
    I was reading ur post and it was obvious that what u need isn't a couple inches , its confidence.

• wtf im 5''8 and i dont give 2 shits. the hell is wrong with you buddy. you're taller than most girls so calm the fuck down

• 5'9 lol STFU.

• How tall are you?

• yes, because I don't let me height fuck me over.

• Ok bro.

• You're not that short. I quote::
    Average male height for Americans.
    The average American height for men is 177 cm or 69.7 inches, which is approximately 5 foot 10 inches tall. (for white males*). A height chart for men of “White” race/ethnicity*, showing average height changes with age. (hint: 5 feet tall is 60 inches or 152 centimeters.
    Average height for men, height and weight chart - Moose and Doc
    www.halls.md/average-height-men-height-weight/

• Assuming you're American, 5'9" isn't really that short.

• Naw, you're over-thinking it. If you had said you're like 5-6 then yeah, your dating pool shrunk down to midget size. But 5-9? I've been 5-10 all my life but at my age the last time at the doc they said 5-9... dayummmm... LOL
    Anyway, I never felt short, or slighted, or disadvantaged. EVER. Wife is 5-8. She seems much shorter unless he has heels - then she's eye-level.
    Most of the female population is 5-8 under, so you're equal to or taller than the vast majority.
    Skinny is fine too - as you age you'll see it as a HUGE advantage. At my age everybody is looking like a fat pig. Me? Naw, a little paunch but still a nice slender profile.

You need to hit the gym. Hard. Build on what you have. Make lots of money. And you'll have choice pick of the best women available out there. Trust me on this - you cannot miss. [clap]

• The good news is you're not short. The bad news is you lack a pair and brain cells.. well that's genetics.

• Dude it's not your lack of height but your lack of balls quit feeling sorry for yourself

• 5'9"? You're genuinely ignorant or stupid. Those are your problems, not height.

• Short people are essential to society: they make me feel better about myself knowing that I'm 6'1".

• Show more from Guys
    20