The Biggest Relationship Mistake, I've Ever Made!

I was dating my college sweetheart, for a year before we decided to move in together. Jake was attractive, smart and full of life, definitely the type of guy that I saw myself with. The first few months of living together, were definitely a challenge, but we grew to compromise to make each other comfortable.

Unfortunately, we got into a fight one evening- right before I went to see my parents for dinner. Jake made me cry, and said some harsh things. Without even thinking, I came to my parents place and began venting about what Jake said, and how he hurt me etc. My parents listened and were quite agitated that Jake was speaking to their daughter this way. After dinner I calmed down, and came home to Jake, who seemed apologetic.

The next few days my parents were checking in, if everything was ok. I said "yes", and we didn't speak of anything again... until Jake and I got into another fight. For some reason it seemed like venting to my mom was a good idea, but I soon grew to realize that it was the biggest mistake that I could make.

After some time, little fights would escalate to a big deal- as my parents were growing tired of Jake, and my relationship with him. It came to the point where they didn't want to see him, or hear about him. I couldn't understand why this was being blown out of proportion... but my parents insisted that being with Jake wasn't the best thing for me. I tried to plead with them, but they had made up their mind about him.

The tension between my parents and him, certainly didn't help out issues, and 4 months later we broke up for good. When I think back, perhaps he wasn't the right guy for me, but the tension that I created by getting my parents involved- was possibly the reason for why we couldn't move forward. Such a shame.

13
amandaschwartz is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Seems like your parents took control over you by pressuring you to break up with him. You can take advice from others but never allow others to make a decision for you. Think twice before taking action. Plus, parents tend to mess things up for their daughters when it comes to relationships. Try to keep that info to yourself or around friends.

Most Helpful Girl

• and this is exactly why, when my husband and i fight, we air our grievances only to each other.

i trust my parents not to get involved, even if i did vent to them. my husband's parents are a different story, though: they're so two-faced that i can guarantee they'd take it upon themselves to destroy our relationship.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 2

• This is why I have a very strict anti-interference policy with the people I date.

• I would say that after the takes you have posted here in recent weeks you have lost all credibility. I don't even believe this story is true.

• You can believe whatever you want. These sort of situations happen all the time, not only to me but others. The point is to gain some insight and learn from others' mistakes and situations.

• Do you really expect anyone to believe you or take you seriously after the tabloid style garbage you have repeatedly posted here at GAG? How does GAG allow someone like you to be an Editor anyway?

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!