What I learned from Dating A Complete A**hole

Let me just tell you something about myself, I really hate drama. I usually just watch them happen cause my college friends have thousands of dramas in their life. I was a fashion student and I can assure you if we were to make series out of our college life, there'll be more episodes on "Keeping Up with the Fashion Design Students" than Keeping Up with The Kardashian; that much drama. But this one time, on my relationship to be exactly, I was the one with the drama.

HOW WE MET

Let's use the initial D for this guy (not just because it's the initial of "Di*k" which describes him, but also because his name really starts with letter D). D reached out to me through Instagram DM. I usually never reply DMs in Instagram but he caught my interest; not because of his face or his feed, but because of what he told me.

Unlike other guys, the first sentence he sent me was how good my drawings are and how beautiful the dresses I made. His DM came when I was on my way back from a boring blind date with a guy from tinder, and being praised for what I do instead of how I look, really flattered me; so I replied him. The next few days we texted each other non stop and eventually decided to have a lunch date. Fast forward, the lunch date was amazing. He brought me flowers, he dressed well, smelled good, good sense of humor, took me home and at the end of the date I found out, he was also a great kisser. I was quickly drawn to him, and this was my first mistake.

HOW I SHOULD'VE KNOWN I SHOULD STEP THE FUCK BACK

D told me he was not fond of marriage because his parents divorced when he was six. He was raised by his grandparents and seldom saw his mother. His father on the other hand, never visited him at all. I can understand this and I didn't see why that should bother me at all since I'm so young and have no intention to marry anytime soon, so I was totally on board for a relationship with him.

Upon our second date however, he told me via text, that he was married once, and was actually waiting for the court to seal the divorce. The reason was simple, D and his wife were too different and they fought everyday, so they decided to divorce. He also told me, in the past, he had some problems with violent act and had to deal with the court quite often. My heart sunk and I should've known then, that he was trouble. But I didn't listen to my gut, and my brain obviously, I still wanted to be together with him because at that time, it was the first time I liked someone so much after a long time. In short, I told him it's okay, I was glad he was honest to me and I accepted him for his not-so-good history. I believed he had changed into a better person.

HOW THE RELATIONSHIP WENT

We had sex every weekend. I'd come over to his place in the morning (which is like one hour using public transportation) with "going to work in college" as an excuse to my parents. He never picked me up and I always thought to myself that that's okay, because I don't like to be pampered either and I prefer to do things by myself.

I'd go home around 11 pm from his place, and he never took me home either. Sometimes I'd use uber to go home but most of the times I used bus, which I remember one time I was quite scared to go home by myself because it was late and 2 days before that particular day, there was a stranger following me (seriously, I had to go and hide in the nearest train station's toilet for around an hour). But I was afraid to ask him to take me home because he said he was tired; so I went home with extreme cautious (or paranoia). We went on dates sometimes, but because he was busy with work, I didn't want to tire him, so the frequency of us going out was much lesser than the frequency of us having sex in the weekend. I became more obsessed with him because he started to reply my text every few hours in a day. He could go missing for 2 days, unreachable, and the next day he'd explain he just didn't feel like connecting to other people so he turned off his phone. He'd give flirty comments on other girls' photos in facebook and when I confronted him about it, he kept assuring me they're just his friends and he only liked me romantically. I'd fight with my parents and my sister (because they didn't like him) almost everyday. I remember when I was with him (4 months into the relationship), every night, I'd go to sleep crying because I felt like I worked so hard to make the relationship works, but I just don't see him trying. I told him I don't like him smoking but he never even tried to stop. Instead of feeling secure, I was way more insecure about how I look after he mentioned that I should've waxed and after he told me "your skin doesn't look like you're young. You have cellulite and breakouts".

I wasn't happy, but when I was with him, I forgot all the pain. He'd let me down, but I always told myself "It's okay, I'm not mad, he's just.. still learning to be a better person. You just have to be there for him". Until one day, my worst fear came true.

HOW IT ALL ENDED

In total, we were together for 9 months. I woke up that day, on Thursday, eager to read his good morning text after he went missing the day before, but to my shock, I saw his profile picture was him holding another girl's hand, with the girl wearing the exact same bracelet I found in his room few months before (he said it was a gift for his friend).

My heart broke, and for a minute, I couldn't process what I saw. I texted him and asked him to tell me the truth, and he told me it's a girl from his work, and that they're trying things out. That was when I realized, I was never somebody special to him, I was just one of many girls he tried, and disposed when he doesn't think it's gonna work out. I was just his sex buddy (though he always said we're not friends with benefits because we had feelings for each other). I cried for 2 days, and many nights after. I was there for him when he was so busy with work and needed encouragement. I was the one who fixed his relationship with his mother, I was the one who woke up in the middle of the night just to check my phone if he texted me and needed someone to talk to (because he seemed to have depression, he often questioned his self worth and thought a lot about how he'd die), how could he do this to me?

And he had to do this to me at the worst time of my life, 3 weeks away from my graduation show, when I was so stressed with my collections.

HOW I MOVED ON

I never got any closure from him so I made my own closure. I packed all the things he gave me and put the box at his doorstep. I was too scared to knock the door, scared I'd see the new girl, or him, and I'd lose my control and cry in front of either one. I didn't block him on any social media, I wanted to know how he is. I'd check on his last seen, his facebook post, how he and his new girl tagged each other, sweet photos of them on instagram; I wanted to know what she has that I don't have. He texted me twice after I gave back his things, I never replied them. I played on the cool and unaffected girl while in real life, I was so crushed. My mother didn't help at all with her "I told you so" speech, but my sister was the only one who helped me moving on. She was the one who helped me dress and fed me when I couldn't function the first 2 days I found out D got a new girl. She'd hug me in the night when I suddenly sobbed from memories.

She kept asking me to go through not only the good memories, but all of them, to start picking out the bad one and compare it with the good one. Make a list, which one has more numbers. It was hard at first, but as weeks went by, it became natural. Everytime I remember something good about us, I'd always look for the bad memory. It became like a game and eventually, they became what they should've been; a history.

WHAT I LEARNED

When something goes wrong, instead of blaming others, try to look back what you did wrong, or what you should've and could've done, but you didn't do.

- My Dad -

I introspect myself, how I was too obsessed with him, how I should've been more honest with him about how I felt instead of always trying to look okay just because I didn't want to tire him. D and I came to an end not just because he was an asshole and didn't treat me right, but also because I was never honest to him about my feelings. I let myself to be played, I chose to look down on myself by letting his words made me feel insecure, I chose to ignore my logic and opinions from people I love because I wanted to have him; I was selfish.

I'm a smart girl. I mean, not to brag, but I did above average in my studies and quick in problem solving stuffs at work. I hate the fact that I became exactly like a girl in from Sex and The City Movie.

Anyway in the end, I learned a valuable lesson. Next time, follow your heart, but don't forget to bring your fuckin brain along the way to prevent extreme and unwanted damage to your heart. The bitter truth is, you shouldn't even begin to hope to change somebody who never show any intention to change. When you fall in love with a baddie or a douchebag or an asshole, whatever, you'll always try to argue with "People can change". Yes, they do, but those who change because they want to is always better than those who change because someone else wants them to. Those who change because they want to, will become nice guys and they'll treat you right. So stop hanging onto these assholes and start giving chance for all the nice guys you've overlooked before; seriously they deserve a shot.

When I have free time, I'll probably write this next:

ODD GUYS I MET ON MY TINDER DATES

All the best for you people out there. Peace out.

2229

Most Helpful Guy

• cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...9-98bb-40517addf101.jpg
    2ch.hk/.../14630588785980.png

"Fast forward, the lunch date was amazing. He brought me flowers, he dressed well, smelled good, good sense of humor, took me home and at the end of the date I found out, he was also a great kisser. I was quickly drawn to him"
    Girls like you, who get drawn to that are so silly in a negative way! You want the full package of the perfect man ready when it's obvious, that players will do just that in order to get what they want.
    Then you hope to train and change him, so that he will suit for you rather than dating one of the guys, who are actually nice, mean no harm and actually respect women, who have probably low experience with women and wonder why women are drawn to such fake ass punks. Why don't you date one of those decent guys and then TRAIN them to be your perfect partner? Teach them how to treat you and other women and teach them how to be the awesome boyfriend, who makes you happy. Oh right, I think it has something to do with that the decent guys aren't (physically) attractive or aren't showing that "confidence", that the cocky guys do. You could be happy but you actively don't choose to.

I'm sorry but continuing to be in denial, that you are/were dating an asshole I would say, that you and the others like you almost deserved whatever came with it.
    But on the bright side you have learned. Some never do and continue to jump and ride on the cuc carousel. So you'll have that.

Good luck and keep learning! Have a great day!

• Great post! ^_^

• Is it really that easy to tell in the beginning? There are guys who will wait just to get it. Then there's that thing where if you wait too long then the guy will get out of there, player or man looking for relationship.

• @LoloWaye A guy being interested in you will stick around for you and wouldn't try to take advantage of you. Just don't be cold or hard to get. That gives them instantly the signal of disinterest.

Most Helpful Girl

• "My heart sunk and I should've known then, that he was trouble". if he confessed all these and you stayed he has zero responsibility. the idiocy was all on you.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 28

• Lol I'm sorry but this is 100% your own fault. You end saying "ODD GUYS I MET ON MY TINDER DATES"?

So you're meeting these guys (in this case) on IG or Tinder. I don't know what planet you're living on but we go to IG and Tinder to look for side pieces... not relationships.

• It is my own fault, and I did mention it in the take that I learned from "my", put emphasize on that again maybe once more, "MY" mistake. I didn't write this take to blame my bad experience on guys generally, I made this take simply to share my experience, one that I know, many girls out there (not all) experience too at some point in their life (in different variations of story though). Somehow there are a lot of salty guys in the comments though. I acknowledged that I was stupid and naive, and I thought it's pretty clear from my take that I also thought of my past self as a dumb girl. Thank you for your comment nevertheless.

• No gents.

This dude isn't THAT kind of 'Asshole' asshole... the one that's just loud mouthed and arrogant.

This dude is a DICKHEAD.

No sense of responsibility, care or common courtesy.

And who the fuck would just bring in another girl into his life and flaunt it on a profile picture when he's with one girl? 😂

• You remind me an awful lot like the same parasitic broads in my high school who cried crocodile tears about their boyfriends while at the same time bullied and disrespected other boys like myself who were not dicks or fuckboys.

I have zero sympathy for your kind. Karma's a bitch!

You narcissistic parasite!

• That's right, birds of a feather. All the asshole guys seem to comment on how girls accept asshole behaviour. Not the guys committing said behaviour. Guilty conscience?

• I never bully or disrespect other boys who are not dick or fuckboys, and neither did I ever mention I treated them in awful way; so how can you assume me that way? How am I a narcissistic parasite? Do tell me why because I'm sorta confused here, I can't link all this together. All I get from your comment, instead of feeling attacked, is just you being salty because you got bullied and somehow you lash it out on me, a person on the internet who told a story of her experience with an asshole without ever mentioning in my story, that I ever bullied or disrespected other type of guys. Thank you for commenting nevertheless.

• @scaramouche Alright. so I took a second look at your article and I guess I can now understand it better at a viewpoint. I had also missed some areas on the article. My mistake. Sorry about that.

The fact here is you learned form your mistakes and I guess everyone deserves second chances (well almost everyone...).

I'd delete my old post and posted this as a new opinion if only I can find exactly how. So that said, i guess you can just disregard my old post.

• You know what I'm taking away from this post? I should apparently act just like D did when trying to attract women, cause a good chunk of you never learn to avoid those types of men. You've learned, I hope, but you still fell for him.

• Big deal, it's called dating. You make mistakes you learn from them. Is everyone supposed to fall for their 'nice guy' Prince Charming just when he snaps his fingers. If that's your attitude and that's what you learned from this article, you were an asshole to begin with.

• @Lipsticksmearer I won't deny that I'm an asshole, or at least generally coldhearted. All the same, I'd rather stick to being loyal, loving, and affectionate to women, because that's what I'd want back from them. It deeply disturbs me when it appears women actually prefer assholes, but if that's the case I'll just become one until the trend changes.
      Big deal? Very fucking big deal. You don't fondly remember the time you spent dating D do you? Imagine if all that could be avoided from the start.

• Why try try and change an asshole into a nice guy, why not just pick a nice guy? Why don't girls want nice guys in the first place? Do they enjoy the treatment that assholes give them and they relish the soap oprera drama?
    Ya I know, nice guys are boring.

• Because the majority of these "Nice Guys" are actually misogynistic assholes who think women owe them sex for being nice. And I prefer to date someone who is interesting and if you can only say that you're "nice" then you are either really boring or have a shitty personality.

• @Sasha_Kotelenets It is your descision to like who ever you want. There are flavours of milkshake that won't bring this boy into the yard. Fly be free.

• As an asshole, I'll just say we do change... for the right girl.

The only unclassy movie he pulled was not telling you the relationship was over before finding someone else, I don't agree with that. The rest of it though... hmm well the signs were there and you went along with it.

All that said, I genuienly hope you find someone who does choose you to be "the right girl".

• nah people deserve respect--he led her to believe he had feelings for her. when a guy plays on a girls' feelings, that's not on her to read the signs of his little game. People deserve to know what they are getting into. Don't be an asshole, because we don't like them... and every girl deserves a guy who is striving to be someone who can be kind to other humans even he isn't getting something from them; this shows us that later in a relationship when we can't give you something at the moment, you will stick around. *steps down from soap box*

• @LoloWaye mhmm, but YOU also never know he's an asshole until he shows his colours, would you risk not giving a genuinely great guy a chance because you're too guarded?

If that's the case you might as well not date for the rest of your life. Dating has always been a gamble.

Let's not beat around the bush, assholes have a certain charm about them which is attractive. Something passive guy's lack.

• That's true. Not the charm, but possibly passing up a decent guy. I give guys chances, however, since this shit is all a game to people, I love to play crazy. You want my attention, you must work extra hard. If you don't then oh well, must not have wanted it enough. Thats how I deal with avoiding assholes. Guys think I'm uptight, but it's much better than wasting my time.

• girls aren't interested in nice guys they friendzone them

• I know you don't want to hear this, but wicked people tend to fall into the hands of other wicked people in relationships.

Maybe you too needs to make a character change.

Which trait? Don't be a liar.

• lol cool stroy bro

but in all seriousness women are drawn to these kind of guys, i couldnt care less about contacting women but i have some who will text me daily or few times a week and even send me pics... why? casue i do not care.

the reason that guy caught your attention is because he was hot, and he showed interest, i find it weird that women never admit that they found a man hot even when they do.

he was not an asshole he was just some dude looking for some no strings attached fun and you gave it to him without even asking questions, he was honest, he was genuine and he never mentioned anything about marrying you or giving you anything that was in your head, the guy is not an asshole he is simply a normal guy who wanted sex and got it just becasue it didn't ago according to your plan doesn't mean that he was an asshole.

• One, I did ask question. Many times I asked him if we were just an friends with benefits or no strings attached kinda relationship and he always said no, said he was serious about me. Two, I believe we went in pretty deep cause as I mentioned, I helped him fix his relationship with his mother and he even invited me to have dinner with them. He led me to believe he has feelings for me. Or maybe he did, whatever, but apparently instead of telling me that things aren't gonna work out, he chose to just ghost out and be with another girl. Now, given these circumstances, you tell me he's not an asshole.
      Oh by the way if this adds up, he bought me a ring on my birthday. Try telling me that gesture was not leading me on.

• Dude. He did lead her on. He wasn't being a man, just a dick without any cares in the world. You clearly can't justify your actions if you think buying a ring for someone isn't leading them on.

• @Cyhhgg you just said it : buying a ring for someone is not leading them on, he wasn't leading her on but something made him change his mind half way through , and that only she knows.

• BAD JOKE ALERT!
    If a woman blindly marries a man with those kind of aspects, "may divorce be with her." 😛

• You deserve it, can't even imagine how you accept that treatment and ironically from the person who should treat you the best, girls like you are worthless and not even real persons, just way too pathetic dumb creatures

• Why do we seem to find people like that well at least yours wasn't into the pain game if maje you fill physical pain when kissing to being intiment

• Drama. The thing, which I don’t have in my life. Because of ma nature. And I am really grateful for that.
    Daniel. His name is Daniel. Even if it isn’t, in my head is.
    I still have this in my head. You are fashion student. Of course, you will have drama in your life. :-D
    OK. Don’t follow your “hearth”. Your emotional part of brain is, like everyone else, god shit. Primitive. You need rational part, and only this one. If rational part gives you OK sign, then the emotional part has green.
    Baddie? Well, I’ve never seen this word. If this is female version of douchebag, then it happened to me “recently”. And all the time, I’ve tried one thing: Be rational. It wasn’t nice, but I got over her.
    Here is another thing. Why I don’t see such article from a guy, talking about some baddie?
    Nicely written though.

• This is why I'm glad that I stayed away from dating until I was ready.

• Some people discover the asshole (or the bitch) only when they have a problem.

• basicly assholes know how to manipulate pepole

• Girls love assholes

• Nope, he was nice at first then became an asshole later on. That doesn't mean she loves assholes.

• @hi_no_tori last time I remember the girl falls for a guy who seems nice at first then reveals is true colors later on. No girl I know would wanna date someone who's an asshole straight up. And by the way, there is nothing wrong with wanting a physically attractive partner, that doesn't make me shallow. That is also important in a relationship along with personality.

• @Sasha_Kotelenets right on! I want the guy I'm with to look physically attractive to me, if that were shallow we may as all get arranged marriages

• Stop friendzoning the un-assholes

• Nobody owes you a date just because you're nice. And girls aren't shallow for dating people they're actually attracted to physically. The friendzone isn't real.

• @Tengjy where does that ever happen? I've only seen this type of shit happen in movies. And it's just a meme most of the time.

• @Sasha_Kotelenets Happens in Germany as far as i experienced :)

• Okay I read everything. U have a nice sister

• Sounds like you just were a a side peice

• My heart broke recently

• Yes guys, after she discovers the men she really desires want nothing to do with you, she will settle for you because you're less desirable and less likely to leave

• Haha thanks for teaching me a good lesson, how to get into a girls pants after years of being myself and being polite. youare an idiot and naive. Just write another article when you do it again it will help out a lot 😂😂.
    guarantee this guy was extremely handsome and that's the main reason. But hats of to him for teaching a good lesson.

Cheers
    Don't forget to write another article the next time it happen

• You pitited him, and were also attention starved..

He knew you'd leave anyway, he saw it happen, not just with his parents, but, he himself too

So Cold by Crossfade, comes to mind

• Here's a like for the Crossfade reference, stay classy San Diego.

• he was obviously much better looking than you, you hypergamous skank.

• at least she's not being a coward, hiding beneath an anonymous opinion BC hiding behind a computer screen isn't safe enough for you

• I love your choice of word, "hypergamous". English is not my mother tongue so I had to google it, added that to my vocab thanks lol. But to address your comment, he's actually not better looking than me, in fact, my friend kept telling me I was blind for liking him. So really, I fell for his kind gesture in the beginning.

• Well will wait for your next take..

• Interesting story...

• It'll happen again for you. Girls say they learn from their mistakes but they never do and make the same mistake again.

• Not exactly, I'm with a much better guy now, one who treats me right, but thanks for the generalization.

• You say that like ALL girls are inevitable to make that sort of mistake at some point in their life. And im pretty sure girls are capable of learning from mistakes. Some aren't, but that doesn't mean we are all like that. Some people have different mistakes they dont really learn from, but if we didn't learn from mistakes, then a lot more girls would be burn victims beause we never learned the ways of *fire hot! Fire bad! Fire dangerous!*

• I should've said some girls, not all. But the ones who don't learn and make the same mistakes always bothered me.

What Girls Said 21

• I remember I made similar mistake when I was 23.

My story was bit different. My parents kicked me out and I found a place to live. I didn't have great job and dates. I had a male colleague at the time and he would let me come over to his house and listen to my problems. I didn't know all he wanted was sex.

I got told in my apartment I was coming home to late from work at 9pm. I worked in enforcement. My parents didn't let me move in straight away. The male colleague said I could stay over for few days. In that time he raped me. I convinced myself I had to be in a relationship with him because it was the first time I had sex.

He would go missing for days. Came out with new information every day e. g. had children. I was just a booty call.

Any way, I realised I had to forgive myself and just move on. I deserved better and to be loved. I never gave my time or heart to someone who didn't give me as much as I gave them.

:-) it wasn't all doom and gloom... I found a great fiancé whom I love dearly now.

• Good you got over him. Only thing your really did wrong is not giving him your standards. That when he pushes your boundaries, you can tell him that he's going too far. Girls who attract assholes are girls who don't communicate their standards.
    You have this great YouTube channel from Matthew Hussey who tells you all about how to attract the right guy. You should check it out.

• Glad you got rid of the cancer, screw him. I drop feelings for men easily because in my early days I was treated like this by guys.
    Now I am cold, I get in relationships when there's something in it for me. Just do as they do and leave your emotions out of it, that is so teenage.

• Thanks for sharing your post! I'm happy you are moving on from this experience with learnings and taking the best from it. You deserve better girl! :) Even when the process of falling for a "D" guy isn't glamorous sometimes those guys help us to become better observers and to re-evaluate how we define the way of "loving" another person.

• No matter what happened, how it ended and who he was... you did enjoyed some parts of it I am sure.

We could not hear from the guy's version of it... It's possible you made some mistakes in the relationship also so you were used and fooled

Anyway feel blessed for what you experienced...

• I recently had an issue with a guy who didn't exactly treat me right and I would make excuses and I would constantly feel down until one day I decided I didn't deserve it and let my feelings be known. I was expecting to be ignored as usual and gave him an out but he said he was wrong, sorry and that he would make it right. I am not holding my breath on it but it felt good to let it out.

• Good to know this only went nine months and no more. Could have been worse. Can you imagine going three years in a full-fledged relationship and then having to go through the breakup? You would have had a lot more stuff and a lot more invested making it way worse. It was nine months of your life, a great story to tell others so they don't get wrangled up in the same sort of ordeal. I sort of like having my bad experiences now, because I can look back at each one differently because they all taught me something.

• Very well said, I'm sorry this happened to you! I think most of us have had some variation of this story!

• I can't even pretend to know what goes on in guys', who treat people like this, heads'.

I've dated some absolute assholes and some accidental assholes, either way they never seem to acknowledge their own behaviour and instead blame it on 'past experiences' or excuse it (like guys in the thread) by saying it's the girls' fault for allowing herself to be treated this way.

No, how about call out shitty behaviour when you see it regardless of sex, and if you see some of yourself in stories like this, work on self improvement. You ARE on this website afterall.

On a more positive note, I'm so glad you were able to move on in your life, seeing some of the responses to this just made me want to share some solidarity and good vibes.

• I'm so sad and sorry to hear this. Why are guys such ARGH!!! 😭😭😭😭 looking forward to reading your next take.

• Thank you for sharing, I'm glad you've learnt from your experience.

• After reading so many responses from people saying that you should've seen the red flags or insinuating that you were dumb/blind/whatever, I felt compelled to say, "hey, this is life. We live, we make mistakes, we learn. And we all do it differently". And to quote my guy (he tells me this now and then), "You're just being human. It's perfectly alright to be human".
    I'm glad you dodged this bullet and managed to move past it. It was really good that you had such a supportive sister and I'm sure that really helped a lot in moving on.

Thank you for sharing your experience :)

• he was hot right?

• Nailed it!

• You sound like my bestfriend the first time I told her about him lol. I'll just give you her exact line after she saw his photo,
      "Girl.. You are fucking blind. Your eyes got problem, how. is. this. even. considered. okay looking?"
      For me, he's just average looking. So you can say I really did fall for his kind gesture in the beginning.

• I can relate so much to this, and him and didn’t even date it was more of a friends with benefits thing. I didn’t mean much to him, and I was just someone for him to deal with until he found someone better. When someone shows you who they are believe them. But that was months ago, and I’m talking to a new guy anyway. But the last guy was a douche.

• He will do this to her too. Obviously there is something within himself that he is deeling with. It's easy to fall for someone Iike him. He will end up a very lonely person. Wishing you the best♡

• Why did you date him

• Ugh they're the worst ever

• I learned that I liked it :(

• Thanks for sharing

• Good myTake

• You sound very similar to me. I've dealt with these sort of guys when I was younger, and they walked all over me. Mainly because I can fall too quickly in "love" at first. I'm sorry you went through all that shit, but we all have to make mistakes and learn from them. Wishing you all the best in the future x