14 d

A Dame That Knows – 25 Mae West Quotes On Love & Lovers

If someone were to mention the most quotable bombshell in Hollywood history, most people would probably assume Marilyn Monroe.

However, I’d like to make an argument for Mae West– the iconic actress, playwright, screen writer, and sex symbol.

Mae West often played characters of audacity and sass because that’s who she was in real life. She had a natural way with using sexy double-entendres that made her known as the wittiest sex goddess of old-Hollywood.

A true deviant of her era, she was also one of the first feminist film stars of her time.

Mae West’s career began as a vaudeville singer and actress in 1907 which would be ahead of Marilyn’s time, making her image and reputation much more daring and provocative than miss Monroe’s.

25 quotes from Mae West that are better than anything Marilyn Monroe ever said.

“Save a boyfriend for a rainy day, and another in case it doesn’t rain.”

“It’s not the men in my life that count, it’s the life in my men.”

“When I’m good I’m very, very good, but when I’m bad, I’m better.”

“A man can be short and dumpy and getting bald but if he has fire, women will like him.”

“I’ve no time for broads who want to rule the world alone. Without men, who’d do up the zipper on the back of your dress?”

“Getting married is like trading in the adoration of many for the sarcasm of one.”

“Sex is emotion in motion.”

“Don’t cry for a man who’s left you–the next one may fall for your smile.”

“Good sex is like good bridge. If you don’t have a good partner, you’d better have a good hand.”

“Ten men waiting for me at the door? Send one of them home, I’m tired.”

“Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can’t figure out what from.”

“I only have ‘yes’ men around me. Who needs ‘no’ men?”

“A man in the house is worth two in the street.”

“Love isn’t an emotion or an instinct – it’s an art.”

“Give a man a free hand and he’ll run it all over you.”

“When women go wrong, men go right after them.”

“Marriage is a great institution, but I’m not ready for an institution.”

“A hard man is good to find.”

“Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”

“A dame that knows the ropes, isn’t likely to get tied up.”

“I’m single because I was born that way.”

“Love conquers all except for poverty and a toothache.”

“Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.”

“Look your best – who said love is blind?”

“The score never interested me – only the game.”

“All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.”

6
3

Most Helpful Girl

• Screenwriter

Marilyn Monroe never had any quotable quotes. West was always way ahead of anyone from early Hollywood. Her quotes are humorous and stand up today. All that double entendre! Witty and dry.

• That's SO not true !!! Marilyn Monroe was nowhere near the wit that Mae West was, but she had some great quotes !! She said " ... they said I had nothing on. That's not true, I had the radio on".
      She also said " A career is great, but you can't cuddle up to it on a cold night".
      If Katherine Hepburn had said that, she'd be praised for being insightful.

Most Helpful Guy

• loveslongnails

I've always loved Mae West... but you omitted one of her best !!!
    "My left leg is Christmas, my right leg is New Years, why don't you come up and see me between the holidays?"

• MzAsh

I have actually never heard that one!

• I’m going to gone in bars looking like Jessica Rabbit and say that line to a guy

• @pinkhoodie53 Which line in particular? And if you dress up like that, please send me a pic ! LOL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

25
  • gititboi

"I’m single because I was born that way"

Born that way bahaha I love it... I'm filing that one away for when I'm wrinkled and bald.

Hell yeah, I'm wrinkled and bald... I was BORN that way. Wrinkled, bald, and with my face between a woman's legs as long as humanly possible ❤️
    (yep, even born in the breech position)

• Grobmate

Her on screen roles were VERY different to off the set. She was a prim and proper Lady on the street.

She prospered as a result and was with Paul for 26 years before dying of a stroke.

Back then people could distinguish between on screen entertainment antics and real life morals and codes of ethical behaviour. 🤷‍♂️

• Nik1hil

This made my day!..

Tell me how can I be of service to you?

• Bluemax

Awesome

• pinkhoodie53

Honestly I would say all of them

• Secretgardenblood

Good mytake

• Piteka5

Very cool