Why you SHOULD date Mr. Wrong

Why you SHOULD date Mr. Wrong

It seems that from a young age, we are all stuck on one idea of the kind of person we will spend the rest of our lives with. He has to be doctor, or she has to be into sports, or he has to be 6 feet tall etc etc. As we get older, we have this sometimes unrealistic standard of the type of people we date. We expect them to be "perfect" for us, for us to see them and say "that's the one."

Speaking from expWhy you SHOULD date Mr. Wrongerience, I know how comfortable or safe it can be to stick to our "types" and our man or woman of our dreams. I've rejected some guys simply because they don't play soccer, and we all know my "perfect" guy has to play soccer. You fall into this habit of choosing dates that you are familiar with. You allow something so superficial like the way he eats or the color of her hair or any little thing not in line with your "perfect" image to keep you from taking chances and meeting new people. And I get it, taking chances in the dating world is scary stuff, but they're necessary. Why you SHOULD date Mr. WrongIn reality, nobody is perfect. We all have our flaws, our quirks, our bad habits. They are what makes us, well, us. When you finally drop the idea that there is only one unrealistic version of who your Mr. Right can be, you begin meeting incredible people who you never would have before. So next time you meet a potential date who you connect with, who is genuinely nice, who respects you, don't make a list of reasons why they aren't Mr. or Mrs. Right, take a leap of faith and get to know them. That Mr. or Mrs. Wrong could turn out to be exactly what you never knew you wanted. :)

2045

Most Helpful Guy

• While the article shares good advice the title really should be changed when you say Mr. Wrong it gives us the idea that your talking about jerks, losers etc. it really should be done thing like Mr. Realistic or something.

Most Helpful Girl

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 44

• Good stuff, though Mr. Wrong is an awful strong term for it. It sounds less like you're saying "Keep your mind open for the realistic men around you." and more like you're saying "Here's why you should keep dating the guy who is controlling/abusive/apathetic"

• I think it's kind of sad that people need to read these articles to finally understand such a basic principle like "no one is perfect".

I pity the women who turn down guys because they are missing a little insignificant detail lol.

• "This girl is amazing, she's the most wonderful person on earth. But why did she have to be a brunette and not a blonde! Her boobs are also a cup smaller than my ideal perfect size. Fuck I guess I still need to keep looking..."

• That's so superficial. The guy im talking to said im not the type he usually goes for, but he seems to like me cause im down to earth. A part of me is worried he wouldn't be interested in anything else though for that reason.

• People who think like that are crazy.

• I largely agree, but that's not really dating "Mr. Wrong". It's moreso adjusting your definition of "Mr. Right" to more... realistic levels, I guess you could say. No one should date someone whose "wrong" for them. I realize that this is probably a semantics issue. Overall, good take.

• You could have titled this differently. Good read otherwise.

• Yeah, reading it now I realize the title may have been a bit misleading. Thanks for the feedback!

• Who greenlit this title? So misleading. How about instead of dating "Mr. Wrong", you just date "Mr. Imperfect"?

• The title had me thinking this was another "date the crazy guys, the bad boys, and then when you want to settle down, date decent guys" type deal, lol.

• You've seriously rejected guys for not playing soccer?

• omg...

you preffer a busted marriage a lousy divorce settlement (if any at all..) and sometimes even a busted face?

HELL NO !!!

You just need to find a nice guy, whom you have lots in common with..
    A little less focused on the facial features...

And yes.. there's either room for a little romance, or the marriage will fail after a decade tops.. then you can sit on the bench turning skeleton cuz you don't believe it actually exists..

• Just don't sleep with guys in general..
      If you have needs... well.. umm.. I don't know about that...
      In any case.. make sure he's a nice guy.. not some a-hole in a good guy suit..
      Also.. instead of going on a date.. simply ask to have a cup of coffee.. or a bite to eat...
      If it's not proposed as a 'date' there's no expectations..

or better yet, if you have a impressive lookin father.. take him home first..
      Ur dad might know how to pick the good ones from the bad ones..
      In any case.. make them wait.. LOOONNNGGG time...
      Also... if he picks happy time with his pals over his supposedly love of a lifetime.. drop him with the garbage..
      Yes.. I hate sterotypical males.. and if I had a daugter.. I'd prolly be behind bars by now... unless she'd pick them real smart...
      SO...
      Be as picky as you wanna be.. lowering your standard is like lowering the quality...

• In that case I always hope that the wrong guys always end up effin the wrong mob-boss daughters and such...
      HEH... there CAN be some symmetry in life...

• Oh! I like your coffee instead of a date idea!! That sounds a lot better than having to commit to something or paying a lot :p

• This applies only to girls, for most guys a women just has to be half decent looking and not a crazy bitch and that will be enough. This is because women are biologically more selective as they carry more risk through pregnancy, also the dynamics of reproductive fitness makes this so.

• No. I won't date Ms. Wrong. At least not to long. If the lady has no similar interests and hobbies with me at all I can't last with her for more than 3 days. Even the sex is not great if thats the whole point of the relationship. In this case my hand would always be preferred.

• There's more to a relationship than sex

• Exactly. If I have nothing in common with the girl I simply don't want any kind of relationship with her. Not even a friends with benefits one.

• Rejected a guy because he didn't play soccer! 0.0

Gag is always good for a surprise here and there

• Every failed relationship you go through is just practice for when you meet the right person.

• I feel like this is a problem mainly for girls, they're so picky. Needs to have a list of qualities, the whole cliche of 'tall dark and handsome' and all that. For us guys... boobies and butt!

• Personally I believe there is no perfect Mr/Mrs Right or Wrong. you just need to get to know the person. you need to build a common ground where you can both walk on and then from there on you can go far as possible. the hardest part is finding the common ground where you can both talk and start a conversation.
    BUT despite all that you should definitely date MR/MRs wrong otherwise you won't find out who is Mr/Mrs Right for you.

• I mean, I have a dark sociopathic side but that's no reason to assume we can't have a healthy relationship as long as I find outlets for my natural aggression and vitriol.

• Well, the problem isn't finding Mr. right. That's easy. He meets most of the absolutely necessary qualifications like kindness, caring, etc. but probably doesn't check evwry single "want" box. Mr. perfect checks everything. The problem is, some women confuse who Mr. Right and Mr. perfect, they're two separate guys. so shell either reject Mr. Right since he isn't Mr. perfect, or even worse, get in a relationship with Mr. Right and try to CHANGE him into Mr. Perfect.

To me, Mr. Wrong isn't anyone who's not Mr. Perfect, he's a guy to avoid. He might appear to be Mr. Perfect or Mr. Right but actually isn't. He'll usually end up hurting her if she dates him, too.

• everyones standards are messed up because of the freaking media. people are lonlier and unhappy as ever!

• This is very simple and straight to the point i love it!
    People are so picky! great Take!

• You SHOULD date Mr. Wong. He makes good noodles. The Chinese are winning anyway.

• I like the way you said it. Makes sense, and it does feel true!

You're great <3.

• Agree, the worst he/she could say is no. , but maybe she/he could say yes.

• Yeah most chicks in their teens and early twenties love jerks

• Mr. Wrong? really? people mismatch, opposites attract, but would you want a bad guy who is akin to be a felon and who beat up on his last ex?

• You clearly read nothing but the title and no more

• I know but its the principle of it all. Its misleading, my take is this. how can you date or be with someone who dont complete you

• I agree, people should be more realistic. Not saying you shouldn't be picky with some things but superficial things people should be less picky about.

• i dont even know what kind of women i like, never given it any thought. i like being alone mostly because it's simpler

• I had a very different idea of what "Mr. Wrong" might be when I started reading. This is a no-brainer.

• a lot of people overdo it though and go for the first best choice, ending up with an abusive douchebag. it´s not that easy.

• *reads title, then reads post with a sigh*

Criss Cross!!!

• The grass always "looks greener" until we get there. Mr./Mrs. Wrong is that simple taste of curiosity.

• Show more from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 19

• Girls just need to stop being so naive. Mr. Wrong is not going to treat you as sh*t and you do not need to be in a relationship where the guys is the biggest douchebag ever.

Mr. Wrong is the not perfect guy that at the end has the things you might didn't know you want.

By itlself develops wonderful things.

• I don't stick to "types". I date anyone I find attractive, that I get along with, have a lot in common with and enjoy spending time with. I would prefer to have NOT dated my last ex though.

• I kissed mr. wrong and I really dodged a bullet getting away from him while I could. I should have never lowered my standards he was a below average looking asshole. But as soon as I went back to having high standards someone came along who exceeded them and he's been mine for 6 months now! When you lower your standards you end up with people who treat you like shit so go ahead and be picky.

• There is no MR right or MR Wrong there is Just MR, and all of them are the same, they start with friendship to get your trust and after that they play there game and when they become 100% they got you in that stage there start showing there real faces, guys are the same right now this opinion will get down vote because it's the truth that guys try to dined..

• Girls do the same thing. It's the fault in human and it has nothing to do with a particular gender.

• what the hell are you talking about here? go get a life before you fuck off in here.

• nope.. I agree...
      it's simple.. girls lower their expectations after the first guy.. or they don't date for a long time..
      the first one leaves the biggest pain when you see their real face..
      (although people do not always break-up because the guy had his way and is now off to next-girl-land..)
      After my first break-up I didn't get a girl for a very long time..

• Nice 'My Take' 👍. And this is not an excuse to date bad boys, it's an excuse to date every boy lol. I'll next time keep an open mind. I've rejected some guys just cuz they were too skinny for my liking. I always liked the strong kinda beefy guys. I promise to stop being that shallow. And guys should stop being shallow too.

• Nice article, I think that all that topic about looking for Mr/Miss Right, evade the Mr/Miss Wrong is part of growing up.

Part of growing up consists also in overcoming and accepting the idea that no one is perfect, including oneself.

• I'm currently dating a Mr. Wrong, a type of guy my friends would have never imagined me dating :)

• This is very true. I was always asked out by these "bad boys" who thinks all girls love them but in reality they get the girls because they are the only ones brave enough to ask us out. After realising this I ended up asking out a "nerd" and guess what we ended up actually sharing a lot of interests and we have been in love for almost 2 years now. And he isn't exactly the standard beauty. Or well he's slightly above 6 feet thats about it but almost all guys here are xD. What I wanna say is that mr right might actually exist and he isn't too far away you might just not be able to see him!

• That is bull because many nice guys do ask out women but they get rejected

• Well I've never been asked out by a "nice guy" ever. Only idiots.

• I thought this article was going about real Mr. Wrongs aka Senior Cheater or Monsieur Douchebag..

• I dont see guys who are different from me as mr. Wrong. Mr. Wrong js more of douche or someone with unpleasant personality

• Basically, don't let your unrealistic expectations blind you to the wonderful world of real people. Revolutionary.

• No need to make fun. It may not be revolutionary but that doesn't mean it houldnt be addressed. That's like saying we Gould talk about feed the hungry because it's not "a brand new idea". It's good idea and sometimes we new a reminder

• You're right - it's a good learning experience. And yet, it's easier said than done! Haha. Good article OP.

• I managed to find a guy who is perfect in my eyes. With that said, I've never been as bad as rejecting a guy over a very minor thing like not having the right favorite color or the right favorite food etc etc. But for the more important things such as lifestyle preferences (smoking, drinking, values) and outlook in life I definitely don't see why anyone should compromise. I found a man who ticked all my boxes and have no regrets. It just meant I had to go through more heartbreaks, rejections and break ups in order to finally get to the right man but once again, I'm now VERY thankful for not settling.

• I am not selective. As long as there isn't a big age gap, he is working/studying, not a religious fanatic or cultural differences that will stand in our way, and has a good heart he can be mine :)

• I refuse to waist my time with the wrong person. If God is telling me that he is the right person then I would be with the guy if not then the guy can forget it.

• I like bad boys but only ones that treat me right so
    right or wrong it only matters if u like the guy if u don't he wrong for u

• I date guys by personality not looks anyways :)

• Id date him for laughs

• Because Mr. Wrong says the right things