Why is my mom being picky over who I date?

It's making me stressed. So the guy that I'm talking to is currently 23, comes from a large family, and has a degree in criminal justice. He met my mom at our house, which I regret. But my mom told me I have date someone from a small family and a good major. Also she said that the man must treat her respect, which the guy I'm talking to did. But I'm scared. I want the guy I date to treat me with respect and happiness. I don't know why my mom is focusing on the money aspect. Like you're not marrying the guy, I am. My parents' marriage is not what I want... not even. I don't know what to do.

93

Most Helpful Guy

• So you ply and obey, then ask us why does your mother claim her decisional power on every thing you do!

Because you have regularly been allowing her too, that's why!

Most Helpful Girl

• I realize that Mother may Know what is Best from the Rest but when it Comes to your own Choice... Use your own Voice and your own Discretion as a Mature Woman who has to be the One, hun, who Marries Someone who is Best for Her own Liking.
    Go with mom's Flow for Now. Let her Babble on with her own Motherly Advice. But you Make it your Business to Leave her out of it, Asking her for her own Wise Advice when Needed Here, dear.
    Hopefully you Live Alone on your Own.
    Good Luck. xx

What Guys Said 2

• dont listen to ur mom. just be happy. dont be a goldigger

get distant from ur parents

• Are you Asian?

What Girls Said 8

• Since you're looking to get married that is serious. So just be serious about it yourself instead of believing your mom too much.

• Yeah that's what imma do.

• If you are sure that you both love each other, that he has the ability to take care of you, if he is loyal, if he is hard-working and if you are sure that you both are ready for marriage, then marry him. I am engaged to someone who isn't wealthy, we are both young, hard-working and we are determined to have a great life together. when you love each other, you can move mountains i think <3 best of luck to you

• Do whatever you want. Your parents can't pick who you love. Don't let your mom try and love your life for you. You're an adult and you can date and marry whoever the hell you what. She's just gonna have to deal with that. Don't ever let your parents tell you who to date, you only know who is perfect for you.

• I know. Even though this guy has some red flags, I'm still tryna see. I'm worried how I'm even gonna hang out with him. Like I know she knows best, but eventually, It's about who makes me happy.

• how's he pushy? and what kind of violent jokes? lol

• Like pressuring me to kiss him.. and he always jokes about kidnappings, shootings, terroisit jokes.. I don't know if it's because he's a criminal justice major but it makes uncmfortabe

• You can ignore her words but if she keeps bugging you then you have to tell her it's your life and no one can decide what to do with it except you. Since you are at least 18 you are not a minor and you have the right to make your own decisions about who you date etc. What's important is that you like the one you date, not your mom or anyone else!

• cz parents want the best for you, and theyre usually right when judging the person ur dating.
    if there's chemistry between u guys and you feel like there's a future with him go for it.
    money comes and goes, and u r with the guy for him, not his money

• That's just how parents are. Some parents are really protective and won't like whoever you're dating, regardless if they're good people or not

• 0|0
  • ignore her and satisfy yourself