What is considered a "harsh" rejection?

What is considered a "harsh" rejection?
This may be a bit of a stupid question, but I want to see what everyone's rejection thresholds are, so to speak.

So, in your mind, what is the difference between a 'harsh' rejection and a 'soft' rejection?

Aren't all rejections inherently harsh, given that being rejected is hard on the person being rejected?

823

Most Helpful Guy

• I tend to evaluate it based upon whether the rejector goes beyond what's reasonable and necessary to get the message across. Some people need a harsh rejection just to get the message. Others can be devastated by even the softest of rejections. So I think it's relative to the person being rejected, if that makes sense.

Most Helpful Girl

• - Showing interest then rejecting with no explanation
    - Laughing at the person
    - Looking at them like they're crazy
    - Completing shutting them out after
    - Getting upset because they won't be friends after
    - Not giving them a chance to get over it (have space)
    **Mocking/teasing them for doing it**
    - Offering information that isn't asked for (e. g. why you don't want to date them etc)
    - Constantly re-iterating that you are friend zoning them (without them making any more moves)

• A "soft" or decent rejection is all about letting them save face.

I'll usually smile and say something I like about them i. e. "you're a handsome guy" or "you're a nice guy and I love your company", but then tell them it's a "no" because either:

i. we're not compatible or
      ii. they're not my type

I then finish it off by saying I'm sure they'll find someone else. I then don't tell ANYONE else about it and pretend like it never happened.

Maximum face-saving is what it's about.

Occasionally guys have thought I was rejecting them because I myself can get quite nervous when approached and then I find it hard to smile/engage. Ironically, a lot of these are the ones I actually wanted to date lol.

I've mastered the rejection because I'm attractive so I get hit on quite a lot, and the worst part is that I've only ever hit on a guy once and he did all of the above to me *fml*