Would you date someone who doesn’t like your pet?

I have a German Shepherd dog and I love dogs.
I can’t be with someone who doesn’t like dogs.

4|5

Most Helpful Guys

• No. I can't be with people who don't like my nuclear family members.
    My dog is part of my nuclear family.
    Family comes first.

2|0
    0|0
  • No. My girls were here before them and it's important that they remember my dogs are a part of my family and they help me maintain my sanity.

3|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Nope. Not going to waste my time on someone who doesn't like my dogs. We're a package deal - I'm not going to give up my dogs for a guy. If he doesn't like dogs, he's free to date someone else.

1|0
    0|0
  • No never. I don't trust people who don't like animals. And if a dog doesn't like someone then there's always a good reason as to why.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 64

• I would, but it would be a downer to have to keep her away from the pet

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. Infact I wouldn't even wanna c them ever. To me a ter (my Doberman) is way better than any human.

4|0
    0|0
    • I totally understand the sentiment and I love dobermans. Actually I love all dogs.

• Same here. I work at an NGO for animals and it is really sad to see how many pets are abandoned only because the owners r marrying or have a kid.

• My dog is a pretty nice guy to anyone I bring into my home even if he's aggressive and territorial to everyone else that walks down the street, so it would be hard to understand... He's a lovable pup. I know some people have traumatic histories with dogs and might be uncomfortable at first, but I think anyone can come to love dogs. They have a lot of warm loving character.

1|0
    0|0
  • No... My cat is a better judge of character than i... And heaven help you if you tell me its you or my cat, i would drop you in a heart beat. I have had my cat nearly 20 years.

1|0
    0|0
    • Same! I would drop the guy if he said it’s me or your dog. I like cats too. That’s how a dedicated pet owner should be!

• I'm not giving up my baby Alaskan Malamute for some broad.

3|1
    0|0
  • I actually told one of my former friends to go fuck himself because he wouldn’t watch my pet while I was out of town. Haven’t talked to the jerkoff since May

5|0
    0|1
  • Well, i agree with you. I love animals, pets and i couldn't be
    with a girl who dislikes pets. I know some people are miserable
    and it's sad to think how many pets end up abused cause of this
    very same reasons they have a S/O or partner who doesn't like pets
    so they abuse their partners pet. This is just way too sad :(

1|0
    0|0
  • I won't let a dog or any pet for that matter be the cause of a wedge between something that could be great. Relationships after all, needs compromise, as no two people call agree on everything. Further more, if I, rather let a girl go, because I love my dog so much, and not willing to let it go, then I would have missed out or missing out on things that really matter, people

0|0
    0|0
  • No idea why this happens, but i keep dating women who are allergic to cats. No idea why this happens... Guess I'll just be a crazy cat daddy.

2|0
    0|0
  • Sure.
    If they openly loathed it and was mean than probably not but if they just kept their distance and just didn't want a relationship with the animal I'd not push that issue or make a big deal of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well i love dogs and cat's and I'm really great with them but have alagys to the ones with finer fur and at this point in my life I don't want the cost or commitment so wouldn't date someone with more than one pet or one with fine fur though I will probably have one or 2 dogs of my own in retirement.

0|0
    0|0
    • So then if i was dating she would need to love my dogs but if i already knew her id get something she didn't have a phobia of like a cat or a giant spider.

• Don't currently have a pet or a date, so it doesn't currently apply. But dogs tend to like me so if she has a dog probably no problem. Cats I don't mind, but I have a mild allergy so can't be around them for too long a time.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably not, people who like dogs and/or dislike cats usually have qualities I deem negative, so someone being exclusively a cat person is pretty much a requirement for me.

0|0
    0|1
  • Hmmmm it would be hard for me to be with someone that doesn`t like my pet, or someone that wouldn`t want any tbh

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't imagine having to. If she doesn't like animals, why would she date someone with pets? Does not compute.

1|0
    0|0
  • I mean... not liking dogs is quite a big turn off for me.. I love my dogs

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure I can, especially if she normal likes pets - just not mine. I would find out why she doesn't. Not sure if it would be a deal-breaker, but it's something to come to grips with if it goes that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im afraid of dogs because one tore my arm open and gave me 9 stitches when I was a kid. I know the fear is irrational but it makes me physically ill to be in the same room as one.
    Does that count?

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, pets are family and if she doesn't like your family then she ain't the one.

1|1
    0|0
  • No way. My cat is the love of my life... I think cats will always come first. If I don't have a pet cat I will be truly alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I trust a dog's instinct around people. Plus, if she doesn't like dogs, goodbye to her.

1|0
    0|0
  • If someone puts someone they date over their dogs they deserve to be destroyed

1|0
    1|1
  • Possibly, but I would never get rid of a pet for a girl.

1|0
    0|0
  • Thats just a bullshit reason not to date someone

2|1
    4|0
  • Yes but I don't have any pets. I am not a dog lover, so I would not date a woman who owned dogs. Just giving my honest opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I wouldn't date someone who doesn't like herself

0|1
    2|0
  • Yes, of course I am not going to miss out on someone who I may fall for simply because of my pet

0|0
    3|0
  • To an extent but not if they are constantly bitching about my pet.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the rest of their character. Seems like a silly deal breaker. Personally I wouldn't like your German shepherd that much because my siblings and I were attacked at the park when I was either 3 or 5. doesn't mean you need to keep it away from me unless it is poorly trained and violent, just means I am not fond of larger breeds of dogs because of an inherent risk factor and because I saw what a smaller dog could do to my sisters leg before a parent had the chance to rip it off of her. But if a well trained pet didn't like someone I would take a second look at them for sure

0|0
    0|0
  • ARE THERE PEOPLE LIKE THAT?

4|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 59

• I'm of firm belief that humans over pets anyday. I am scared of dogs and I honestly don't like them. If my potential partner has a dog, I'd expect him to look after it and I wouldn't do much for it, unless it's an emergency. If he isn't okay with it, I guess it wouldn't work for us.

1|0
    2|0
  • No. My pets are my family, and if my pets give me a reason not to trust you, then I must listen to what my pet is trying to convey. They don't have to like dogs, but they sure as hell better respect mine or its bye bye.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't have a pet cause I don't have the space to keep a dog yet but dating someone who doesn't like dogs equals to dating a serial killer in my opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Disliking animals says a lot about the person. I wouldn't get a snake or a spider. It would be understandable if the person has a phobia, but usually people aren't afraid of dogs and cats, so I guess it's disliking them in another way...

1|0
    0|0
  • Uhhhh no. My kitty is my baby and I love her. She's a shithead but she's my shithead. I want a dog but I live where it's kind of hard to have one. But anyway, if he doesn't like animals then I can't be with him.

1|0
    0|0
  • I he hates animals I wouldn't be with him for sure. I don't know if the person you're talking about just doesn't like dogs or hates dogs. If he's tolerant and kind to them then it's okay but if he can't stand being around them then it's something different. I have this belief that if someone cannot be compassionate with animals, it might be tough to be around them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. My ex didn't like my dog and we had some weird arguments because of that, that I'd just like to avoid from now on.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not a chance. I don't even have friends who don't like my dog. He's basically the only child I'll ever have, so he gets all of that maternal affection I'll never get to give to a human child. Either you like my dog or I don't like you 🤷‍♀️

0|1
    0|0
  • Most likely yes.

However, To be quite honest if the opposite was the case, then no, I wouldn't.

Silly as this sounds, Children and animals are the best judges of a person's character.

2|0
    0|0
  • I love cats and I keep dating guys who don't like cats and it can be pretty annoying actually, I would date them regardless but I would still keep my cat

0|0
    0|0
  • ew no what a stupid way to be -- I can't be with someone who doesn't like being around animals that kind of behavior irritates the fuck out of me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. If i date someone he has to love everything about me and everything that comes along with me, as i would do the same for him. It works both ways not one way! I think.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. If you dont like my dog you can fuck off to hell. My dog comes first.

1|0
    0|0
  • No...

1|0
    0|0
  • my dogs and cat are like my kids. if a date doesn't like them I couldn't go on with things

1|0
    0|0
  • I would probably be the person not liking the pet in these situations lol.

2|0
    3|0
  • He got me to like dogs... he has a German Shepherd dog too! <3 He likes cats too and I have a cat... I still like cats more though lol

0|0
    0|0
  • No, they don't have to be all lovey dovey, but if you're mean to it, you can leave and take your ass with you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. If he doesn't like my pets, then I don't like him. My pets come first in this situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not! I mean, when I have my own house I plan to have three cats, two dogs and a rabbit! They have to be pet lovers! lmao

0|0
    0|0
  • No... Even my grandma who is afraid of dogs likes the family dog.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, he has to love my doggie like his own or it will not work out.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would date someone who didn't like my pet but id tell them that if ever they hit or mistreated my pet they would be gone in a heart beat

0|0
    0|0
  • no way! i would never date someone who doesn't like my animals!

0|0
    1|0
  • Nope.. if my boyfriend didn't like my pet.. he can't chose between me or my pet he has to accept it

0|0
    0|0
  • My man's dick > Pets

Sorry not sorry

2|1
    3|0
    • Show All
    • @chunlilovesvega You must be special. Empathy can be felt and showed without having to like a puppy. It has nothing to do with a person's "mental state" and quite frankly you're just plain stupid if you think that. You don't even know what those two words mean or what you're spewing yet you have the nerve to call us a dumbass. What a dumbass.

• @chunlilovesvega Owning a dog doesn't make you a good person, as Hitler had several dogs during his life and loved them. Not wanting to own a dog doesn't make you a bad person, either, some people prefer cats like Albert Einstein did or just prefer to spent their time in people (like the people who adopt several kids instead of dogs). Also I've seen people unable to feel empathy and hating humans but loving other animals. Besides people who hurt dogs usually are dog owners. So I don't understand why animals lovers tend disrespect and treat at less happily petless people who just stay they don't need or want pets in their life's without hurting animals.

• NEVER!!! My pets are like my babiesssss. All of us or none of us 😂😁

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not

1|0
    0|0
  • no i could NEVER

0|0
    0|0
  • 100%

0|0
    0|0