How Working in a call center is like "Monsters Inc."

How Working in a call center is like

As I may have mentioned earlier I am a call center representative for a major wireless company In the US. Over my last 7 weeks at the job I have noticed a lot of similarities to the movie Monsters Inc. Of course there's no monsters working there,but this my take will explain how a Disney movie can relate to the real life work world.

1. The calls we receive are like the doors on the Scare Floor:

In the movie Mike,Sulley,Randall, or any of the monsters never know what lies beyond the door of the kid they are trying to scare. In the call center world we never know what kind of call we are going to get from one minute to another. It could be a bill error,a payment, adding a new line of service, Or a tech support call.

2.Agents and teams always compete against each other for rankings and sales Just like Randall and Sulley compete for top ranks:

Agents try to sell as well as give good customer service. We are ranked like the Monsters are ranked in how we do.

3.Even the best training will not fully prepare you for the real thing:

In the movie the monsters are trained in a simulation room and at Monsters University on working at Monsters Inc. However sometimes the simulations and classes don't go over all the details. But do understand that they are only given so much time to train workers.

Monsters Inc is just a movie, but it really does tell some truth about the everyday work life and scenarios. Especially working in a factory or call center.

#Monstersinc

#Wescarebecausewecare

917
smahala1991 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• i've worked in many call centres, and #3 is especially true.

training only covers normal scenarios, which account for maybe 10% (and that's being generous) of your job... the rest is figuring out what to do with those oddball scenarios that trainers claim you'll never encounter.

well done!

Most Helpful Guy

• Now add an extra layer to it: call centers that are run under a federal government contract! If you thought standard security clearance was a hassle...

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 8

• This myTake is cool!

• I enjoyed reading your comparison and found it cute and clever. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Interesting my take :)

• I think the last point can be applied to every single job lol

• This is really creative! Great take

• This was awesome. ^_^

• Nice mytake, I love that movie

• Best shit all day.

What Guys Said 16

• lol my cousin also works in a call centre for a company in USA which deals in diabetic supplies. He never really told me all this😂

• I used to work at a service desk on a military base. Half of us were contractors, and half of us were Federal Civil Service. We always had tons of work to do, but what kept us the busiest were the customer calls. We had phone software application where you had to wear a headset, and go 'green', or 'ready'. As soon as you did that, you got one call after another, because the call queue was always backed up. Most of the callers were nice, and usually just wanted a password reset on whatever system they were logging into, but others were more complicated.

We also had to create an online 'ticket' for each call, so if you stayed 'ready' on the phone system, that's ALL you were doing all day, calls and tickets. We had an overall reputation of being very good. Our reward for being good? The management was considering cutting our staffing because they thought we could still do a good job with cuts.

• My friend works in a call center and totally agrees...

• Great take

• Very true but it made me chuckle

• I have given up on call centers : waiting half an hour on a 0800 line is bad.
    Waiting half an hour on a paying line (sometimes at extra tariff) is a ripp off.

And they often can't help if you can't provide the original proof of purchase which is in another room, of course.

• Interesting

• Lol Call Center is the biggest bullshit job ever for cx service, i do Tech Support i rather deal with dummies with issues them just plain dumb asses in calling back to back screaming. I swear some of the people that call in are like "My Life sucks, let me call ****** and take it out them"

• I'd say working in a machine shop is more similar everything is a scare door in there from the acid, gasoline to the tons of chemicals that eat away at my skin.

• coool

• I enjoyed this

• Very amusing to do the comparison. Liked it.

• Monsters inc. the beginning of the new animation era.

• hopefully less risky

• but it enhance your communication skills doesn't it?

• Cx service only takes a toll on you because of the cxs calling in are horrid

• Nice one