Facebook Nearly Caused Me To Lose My Job

I wanted to share this story with you so you can be aware of something I had never even thought about.

I comment a lot on things on Facebook, as I'm a pretty opinionated person, and I have done for years. One day, I commented on a video and I stated my opinion, though I wouldn't say it was offensive. In short, I stated that it was cruel to keep a deformed animal alive (it was extremely deformed; one eye, no eye lids, no nose) and wondered why a certain group of people often worshipped these animals. That was it. I didn't think much of it and carried on with my day.

A woman commented on it, showing her displeasure which is no surprise; you can't comment anything online without someone being offended. This woman appeared to be an unemployed, PC feminist, an LGBT activist and probably a vegan to add. She said that all lives matter etc and she remarked that someone with my views shouldn't be doing the job that I am as, somehow, that affects my ability to work? People have often remarked on my profile, trying to use it as a weapon against me in the past. I didn't pay much attention to her comment though.

I believe it was the next day that I got a call from my boss. I kind of knew what it would be about. She told me a lady had messaged her through our company Facebook page and sent screenshots of my comment and told my boss that I shouldn't be working in that job!

Thankfully, my boss saw that the woman was trying to be vindictive and laughed that the woman needed to get a life. She also entirely agreed with my opinion and she knows I've worked with animals in the past and I care about them. I told her that I've definitely learned from the experience and that I will removing my place of work from my profile!

I really don't know what this woman expected, other than getting me sacked. Legally, my boss couldn't have sacked me for something unrelated to work and because of my opinion. You have to go through a disciplinary procedure anyway.

I never expected an offended, disgruntled person would actually go out of their way to get me sacked! It really opened my eyes to the lengths some people will go to, so if you're someone that has your place of work public on your profile and you comment on a lot of things, I'd recommend hiding your place of work and being aware that there are some very sad people out there who will happily try to destroy a stranger's life if they take offence to them.

1751

Most Helpful Guy

• The interwebz is the home to all the trolls on this planet.
    These are people who have achieved nothing in life, and so their only means to have a voice is through the internet.

Mingle with the stupids, and you yourself are stupid. Always hide your identity, mask your IP, and post as little personal information as possible. Never post your current job on Linkedin. Never post photos from a smartphone unless you know how to delete the hidden metadata that identifies your location (people can find your house address simply by looking at the photo's code). Never use your real name on social media accounts.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• What a nut job 🙄 some people seriously can’t take an opinion and leave it at that. At least your boss was realistic about the situation though, and nothing came of it.

I did something stupid with social media a few years ago, I had my employer set to the company and my profile on public. I’d been offered a better contract under an individual agreement instead of the standard company one, so was going from being paid two weekly to monthly and they stuffed up my pay. The week before my wedding I hadn’t been paid anything for almost two months and I frustratingly put up a status about how it shouldn’t be this hard to get paid. Didn’t name them or anything and it wasn’t derogatory or untrue, but I got a call from HR the next day as their search algorithm had picked it up. I almost lost my job because “how would it look to shareholders if they saw that we aren’t paying our employees” 😐

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Wow, that's tough! I didn't think they had social media algorithms as well. :O Most of my profile is only visible to friends, but even my family can't see my posts and I always think twice before I make something visible to the public.
      It really up your eyes though!

• Lazy staff? How hard is it? it's all computerized these days so it's a lot easier before people started using computers.

• @burpzzzzz it shouldn’t have been hard, that was the issue. The ball was dropped several times by the same two people and I lost out but human error happens

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 50

• Yes, unfortunately there are disgusting people who try to ruin people’s lives by trying to silence opposing views through fear. Currently it’s usually the SJWs who do this. I use to comment a lot on Facebook, I would be very vocal in criticizing the far left but recently I realized that Facebook has a very unnecessary feature where my comments appear on my friends newsfeed so I stopped commenting on posts.

• Never keep your profile set on public.
    Never add personal info such as your job.
    Never add anyone from your company unless he/she is very close to you.

• My work has always been on my profile and never thought twice about it until this happened! It's hidden now and only my qualifications are shown so future employers can see them. :)
      I only added one coworker who doesn't work there any more but she can't see my posts.

• I never use Facebook (I don't understand it, and don't really care anyway), but I used to be a civilian working on a military base, and we had a co-worker who was always on Facebook (don't know if she was actually doing this AT work), and was putting information out there about the functions on the base, certain co-workers she didn't like, etc. The management found out about this, and she ended up getting suspended for a while. She's lucky she didn't get fired, because a civilian or military person putting that kind of thing out on Facebook is a security violation, which we were ALWAYS getting memos and training about.

• Some people are stupid. She likely knew she was breaking the rules as well.

• Yeah, some people are THAT crazy that they are willing to threaten your livelihood just because you don't agree with them or they don't agree with you. As of late, Donald Trump has been a prime example of that. That's evil lurking at every corner going to work. That's the great thing about freedom of speech - you should not be penalized for your opinion, regardless of how much someone doesn't agree with it.

• this is one of the many reasons why i limit how much information people can view on my page.

the operative words are Social and Media and in those terms comes the caveat that there is very limited privacy and the reality that what you say can be very public

• More from Guys
    45

What Girls Said 16

• People don't understand that whatever you post online is for the world to see. It is becoming a common thing to lose your job over a post and an even more common thing in this day and age for freedom of speech to be less and less accepted. Everyone is offended over the tiniest things and it is those offended few that will form and create backlash against you. Unless you can handle the repercussion of any and everything you post, it's best to think about what you are saying before posting.

• I think it is even smarter not to be on social media at all. I believe it is the worlds curse! Everywhere you turn today, go today, etc everyone has their face stuck in front of a computer or an i pad or a smart phone.

• I agree. People can't even drive anymore because no one seems to be able to hang up and do it. It makes me ill when driving to look over and see someone not even watching the road, but staring down at their phone. It's much worse than DUI. Just ridiculous how people are so dependent on electronics

• I couldn't agree more, they seriously need to find away to jam signals while a vehicle is on. I've even been behind some people s that sit through an entire green light texting. Its like they wanna look cool to whoever is looking and feel important

• Wow that is absolutely low down for someone to do that! How butt hurt and petty can you be to email someone's job just cause they didn't like an opinion. I honestly just went through that with a crazy girl on here trying to paint as a evil person just cause I didn't share the same opinion/beliefs as her. But to get someone fired over it is just pure evil and entitlement. I get you have to be careful with certain things posted on the internet, like threats but something that small was blown way out of proportion. Honestly, that lady needs to be careful her dang self, she made it very well know it was her that contacted your company in order to try to get you fired. If it was someone who was really struggling and needed their job WAS fired, they would know exactly who it was and might attempt to hunt her ass down just so she knows what it feels like to be targeted for no reason. Seriously, if she keeps it up it just might happen, people are going through hard times and will snap.

• I hope someone does snap on her and she gets her comeuppance.

• Never have ur work details put on Facebook.. where u go or went to school etc ESP if u comment on things from media etc...

Make it a lesson learned a lot of people will cut ur throat to make themselves seem relevant

• That's awful! I was on yelp one time and I wrote the a review, all these people were coming at me with their low comments. One saying only a woman would say that, people disgust me. HELLO our constitution says we have freedom of speech, seriously I think these people need to take a course on our rights.

• You need to grow up and realize what this world is all about. You did have your free speech and so did the ones who apparently were not real pleased with what you said. That is called freedom of speech as we know it. More often that not it is more advisable to keeps one's opinion to themselves

• Negative people , especially narssistic type people , usually reply like that. They're argument about their ideology becomes , ( idiology ) instead. You dont make them mad , they make themselfs mad.

• KrazyGirl70...**

• Oh my... I guess I should be prepared the next time I have to share opinions with my real name

• More from Girls
    11