Slaying the beast known as college math and how things have changed for the better

ADFSDF1996

I recently completed the final math course I have to ever take which is “statistics”. It was an absolute nightmare. If you read some of my previous posts, you’d know just how much I absolutely loathe mandatory math courses/classes. But now that I have completed statistics I don’t have to take a math course ever again since I’m a non STEM major. Here’s some metaphors to show how good it feels.

David(me) vs Goliath(college math)
David(me) vs Goliath(college math)
  • I feel so relieved, it’s as if I put down a backpack full of heavy stones.
  • It’s another example of David vs Goliath
  • I feel as if I’ve slayed the beast
  • I feel like I just overthrew a totalitarian regime
  • I feel as if I’ve become the new alpha male of a pack or pride.

1.) Restored Hope: I feel a sense of relief that I haven’t felt in 6 years and that’s the feeling that everything is going to be alright. If you would have asked me a couple years ago where do I see myself in a decade, I would have told you that “I’m not sure, maybe I’d have to move to a different area where everything is inexpensive.” But by completing statistics, completing my general ed courses and guaranteeing myself an associate’s in arts degree, a Bachelor’s degree now seems like a realistic goal.

2.)I can now start looking for a job: One of the reasons I’ve been putting aside job searches is because I felt that trying to go to work and also have time to study for math would be too hectic. Trying to focus on your job while having your mind preoccupied by something else is a recipe for disaster, I learned that the hard way in my first job. But now that I don’t have to worry about math courses ever again, I can start looking for a job since the rest of my college courses don’t require as much studying as math does and so I can divide my focus between my job, my academics and my personal life.

3.)Significantly less stressed: I feel less tension and less pressure of having to study for math exams. It’s one thing to solve a mathematical problem in every day tasks like measuring a cloth. But when it’s a whole list of math problems that you have to solve without any form of assistance and also get graded for them, it’s a real pain in the ass. Now that I don’t have to worry about that anymore I feel much more relaxed.

4.) More time/more autonomy: Now that I don’t have to worry about math courses anymore I notice that I now have more time to do more productive things than spend 1-2 hours a day studying for a stupid math exam. I can use those hours to do chores, workout more etc.

So yeah I feel super relieved that I don’t have to worry about mandatory college math anymore.

6
8

Most Helpful Girl

• Ally247
    I hate math. Give me an English essay over an equation any day.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• monkeynutts
    Good work, I’m not big on maths either.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

57
  • TayTay21
    I had to take college algebra, cal I, cal II, and cal III. And there was a stats course in nursing school. I only got through it because I had people tutoring me.
  • _no_one_
    Man I don't know how but i somehow passed my advanced calculus course but it's not over yet. I still have to deal with statistics this winter semester, so uh RIP.
  • CubsterShura
    I am doing my first ever math course and it will never end because I am in STEM... this will be fun lol I suck at math. I really can't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • lovedejj_xo
    Ugh I failed statistics in undergrad I had to retake it in the summer to be in the program I wanted I cried so hard since I never failed a class before and the teacher was an ass but I passed the second time.
  • Anon621
    First of all congratulations on passing statistics. Second of all congratulations on your final math class being statistics. I was unable to defeat the small challenge of calculus 2 also known as one of the most difficult math classes engineers, math majors, business majors, and math minors take. Statistics was really simple for me I got a B over a 10 week course during summer time but by the time I took statistics it was super easy compared to trying to find derivatives of complex things. Calculus 2 along with a major class I had to drop made me change majors from computer science to data science and I domt regret it because my problem solving skills were not that great so data science is much more preferable.
  • Good for you. Sounds like you are within the standard deviation.
  • Mia-Wallace
    Congratulations! 👌
  • Rob17792
    if you think statistics is bad try calculus or trigonometry or geometry or alegbra or algebra 2
  • Avicenna
    Congrats!
  • Holisticapproachsara
    I am a math teacher muahahhaha👹👹👹
  • zagor
    I have a math degree, but even I hated stats...
  • ManHater
    Never needed that stuff to make 6 figures.