Back To School: Tips and Advice From CHARismatic!

CHARismatic110

It's that time of year again. Summer's coming to an end and it's time to head back to campus, and get in the books (unless you were like me and took summer classes most of the time). Or maybe this is your first semester/year, which can be a bit overwhelming. It's hard to switch gears, but hopefully these tips will help. Read on!

Learn Your Schedule And Plan Accordingly

Once you get your set schedule, it helps to get familiar with it and to come up with a routine. This works for both high school and college students. Learn where all your classes are and what the quickest route to them is.

Tip for high schoolers: get your books for your morning classes before homeroom. It saves you from having to stop at your locker between every class.

Make Sure You Have Proper Class Materials/Supplies

Textbooks, notebooks, calculators, pens/pencils etc. Being unprepared can and usually does end up being a setback in the long run.

Tip for college students: you can get a lot of the different course reading materials at a lower price if you buy used.

Your Syllabus Is Your Friend

This is where I've seen a lot of people (myself included) make their mistake. The syllabus is given to you for a reason. It's basically a run down of what's going to be covered throughout the duration of the course/class. Pay attention to it! Use it to keep yourself on track.

Tips for both high school and college students: a fun way to challenge yourself is to go through and set goal grades for all the assignments/exams for the semester/year. You can even add little rewards into if you actually meet or pass your goal.

Get To Know Your Teachers/Professors

Learn their office hours. Make yourself familiar with their grading style. Ask about their extra credit policies early on.

Tip for both high school and college students: all teachers/professors are not the same. What you get away with in one class, might cause you trouble in the next.

Find A Study Buddy/Group

Not always the easiest thing to do, but it can be helpful. Having another brain to go over things with can make all the difference. It also helps if you have to miss class and need notes.

Tips for both high school and college students: never hesitate to go to a tutor if you're having trouble. They are there to help you!

Remember guys, eyes on the prize. Stay focused. Keep a good pace. Try not to procrastinate. Ask for help if you need it, and don't forget to have fun every once in awhile. Good luck!

#BackToSchoolWithChar

#CHARismaticOut

4
5

Most Helpful Guy

• dangerDoge
    I like it. I would add also a few other things (for primarily college students):
    -- Avoid buying books from the school sponsored book store. They tend to be overpriced, even the used. Look on amazon. Go to bookholders. Whatever... Just avoid the trap of "official sponsorship" if possible.

-- Check for online pdf versions or such. They're generally cheaper. If one is especially savvy on the internet, they may be able to "find" a free version online (allegedly). Heck, the school library may have a pdf version you can download, or a print version you can scan the pages you need and only pay for printing.

-- Be weary of buying books before classes start. Sometimes professors make changes to their syllabus when class begins and they'll screw you over. That being said, research where to buy them and get them fast so you aren't caught up in the big rush of people trying to buy.

-- Go to office hours before a tutor! They will help greatly and they are free (compared to a tutor). They'll also be able to help with specific class questions. Plus the professor will get to know you more, which is always helpful in a class of 100+ students.

-- Introduce yourself to people you sit around in class asap. During especially the first few days of school, people tend to be receptive of introductions. It's also a great way to make friends since chances are, they'll have at least one similar interest with you (considering you are in the same class). Get their number so you can mooch off them for help later on if need be.

-- This is kind of an obvious thing, but I see people (new students) make mistakes all the time with it: When you schedule classes, plan accordingly for a lunch break and plan accordingly for how much time it will take to get to each location.
    Also, note that 8AM classes =/= high school 8AM classes. The motivation is much harder to muster and you'll hate yourself for it unless you are an early bird kind of person. "I woke up early for high school all the time college should be about the same." <--- that's a trap. Don't do it!
    Is this still revelant?
    • Dude this is good! You could be written a whole other Take lol. by the way, how are you!

• dangerDoge

Haha I'm not much for writing takes. They are too much effort for me lol
      And I'm doing pretty well myself. Life's a little crazy, but I guess that keeps it interesting. How about you?

• Lol same here. So much craziness, but im. still kicking! I miss you bambino!

Most Helpful Girl

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

43
  • EmpatheticLady
    Renting textbooks is another great way to save money. Most of those books will sit around and collect dust anyway, so why not save money and be able to return them later?
  • TripleAce
    Ehh got a bone to pick here

Books for homeroom to not have to stop at your locker. Cmon now. I use to try and find reasons to go to my locker even if I didn't have too
  • Library
    This is great advice. This is how I'm a straight A student.
  • SnowHearth
    I'm done with school, I already graduated. :D
    I used some of those tips back when I was studying
  • RainbowFanGirl
    This is the guide to getting a 4.0. :) I'm doing good so far.
  • Luci92
    Very good tips! Bookmarked :)
  • ThisDudeHere
    Ha, I'm not going - I'm taking the year off lol