Oscars So White

Oscars So White

When last years Oscars rolled around, it was clear that in that year and many years before it, the academy seemed to just blatantly ignore films and actors who were basically of any minority base, and so the hash tag, #Oscarssowhite came about to call attention to the situation, and now here we are a year later with, some may say, a much more balanced field of nominees.

I am in no way a fan of just giving out pity nominations or suggesting that just because someone is a minority, they deserve to be nominated, but you have to actually have the ability to give someone a chance to prove that they can do quality work. To say, minority actors don't do the same quality work as white actors is insulting at minimum on up to racist at it's worst. An actor cannot prove that they can act if at the front door of an audition, they are told that they are not right for the part based on skin tone or ethnicity alone. Does one need to be white in order to play the doctor, the solider, the teacher, the lawyer, the jock, because in the real world, these "roles" are played by every human being imaginable.

Oscars So White

If the only actors, producers, writers, etc. allowed in the door are white, and consciously make no efforts to produce anything but films with all white roles, absolutely, only "white" movies get made starring all white casts. Then of course, it is easy to say, well, we didn't see any quality minority films or actors to nominate because literally there was no opportunity for the academy to do so. It also encourages the myth that only "white" films make money because if only white films get made, then by that logic, of course, only white films make money which if looking at the previous year however, in terms of movies for 2016, there were actually a few choices of movies with critical acclaim with minority actors/producers which did fantastic at the box office, but were ignored.

This year has proven in a lot of respects what minority actors have been saying all along which is let us try, and let the numbers at the box office and in sales speak for themselves. No one can argue a ticket sale, and clearly there is a hunger to see a more inclusive Hollywood not just in the movies, but on tv as well. Many of the most popular shows in the past 5 years that have debuted on tv and cable, have had roles featuring minorities or a heavy minority based cast.

Oscars So White

People want to see themselves reflected on tv and in the movies because both are supposed to be an artistic expression of life in a creative way. What sound argument could be made that everyone's story and experience could be told solely through the eyes of an all white cast in all white movies? I personally don't just want to see my own race everywhere all the time becuase that's not life or reality. Movies and experience don't belong to just one race alone, but to all people who's stories are out there and that want to tell them and Hollywood should reflect that because that is a truth they cannot sweep under a rug.

311

Most Helpful Guy

• "it was clear that in that year and many years before it, the academy seemed to just blatantly ignore films and actors who were basically of any minority base."

Slumdog millionaire - 8 Oscars.
    I did not watch the movie, just because it won 8 Oscars and everybody was talking about it, that i simply started to dislike it without even seeing it.

But how can they the make the oscars "equal" so nobody gets upset in any way? We are way too butt hurt about everything and still blame it on the race and still shout the same "it's a race thing".
    I see you are saying that most of the actor winners were whites. I like the "pies", makes it clear and supports the message you want to send: the academy is oppressive towards the blacks.

But what is the specific breakdown of categories the whites won for? Which were the contenders? were there any black contenders for those categories? What great movies were left out for that year that blacks played in and could have accounted for those categories?

Regarding the director and writers awards: What movies won this award in time? (list for each year). What other movies do you realistically think would have been a serious contender for that specific year in which a white director/writer won? Was any of those great movies that did NOT won this prize or was not nominated for it at all, directed by a black in the first place?

I don't care about the academy and it wouldn't matter to me if they were to close down the oscars. Everyone fusses about nothing.

But wouldn't it be even more racist if Academy suddenly awards more blacks, just because they need to do it?
    You show those pie-charts and ask for equality, but if they were to choose the number of winners in order to match a 50/50 white/black ratio, wouldn't the whole "race does not matter" speech, take a beating by doing so? Because you would basically force someone to award black people even if their movie maybe did not deserve it. This is why I believe that before posting those pie-charts you copied from somewhere else, you should actually answer the questions above I asked and make pies and charts and diagrams to uncover the whole picture and not just the corner that makes it sound "racist".

More black people are drafted by NBA teams compared to whites. So is the NBA racist? maybe the blacks were better I say. Should we force teams to draft equal no. of blacks and whites. how about the asians?

• LOL for the thumb down

• For the same reason you question that one Asian, is the same reason I'm here questioning the lack of minorities, of any kind, in film. Let's really peel back the doors and investigate how supposedly not racist Hollywood is and then you or I can eat crow.

In the meantime, it seems it always has come to that point where instead of investigating truth, people say, well, get your own. Should everyone really have to create a "Bollywood" just so they can be heard and seen? Every time there is lack of diversity the answer seems to be, well get your own thing, but then two seconds later, it's why do you need your own thing, we should all be one and united... HBU's, Black History Month, going back to African, BET, clothing lines, music... you name it. Which one is it? Because then the argument is, of course, well, why doesn't that Bollywood become more inclusive to all, yet the reason it was created is because they were excluded in the first place. The world needs to make up it's mind here.

• We either figure out a way to include talent based diversity of all kinds, or we decide that in order for the world to be a place where talent is allowed to shine, then everyone apparently needs to create their own niche, their own awards, their own everything... which has already happened in many respects, but then what are we doing? We're saying we can't work together, we can't recognize talent unless it's "our" own? We become segregationists of the highest order. I don't want to live in that type of world where it's us and them. I don't believe talent only exists within one race or culture because that's obviously not true. So here we are. I'll take you up on investigating some truth, whatever that truth may be.

Most Helpful Girl

• I doubt there's any deep "racism" going on. There are less minority actors, and thus there will be less minority actors who are Oscar-worthy.

Just because less minorities receive Oscars, doesn't automatically mean that there's a racist conspiracy. Get over yourself.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

• Nobody cares about (((Hollywood))) or the Oscars.

PS Sounds like you are trying to "Appropriate" White Culture since Whites created movies, television, award shows and 99% of All World technology.

• According to your analogy then, no one of any race can use anything made by another race or culture, if they didn't themselves create it? You may want to re-think that premise.

• Well if i'm white and 99% of All inventions where created by whites, I would have no problem would I?

The shiv however that you missed is I was highlighting the ridiculousness of "Cultural Appropriation" that people like OP argue for.

• I agree with everything you said to the 99th percentile. Here's where I get a little annoyed with the OscarsSoWhite and White Washing controversies.

In the cases of expensive productions such as 'Ghost in the Shell' and 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' producers take risks on the box office prospects of who they cast and yet if they cast someone that is 'race appropriate' based on source or historical accuracy and the movie bombs, people will be fired and laid off. In this case, it's easy to throw daggers and call people racist but this is about business, not racism. And yes, Hidden Figures and Fences have both proven to be box office hits, but they are not $100 million productions and they are Oscar-type movies.

With regards to OscarsSoWhite controversy, my only issue with it is that racism has very little to do with it. Racism has a very specific definition: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior". Unless we believe that Hollywood, by and large, discriminates against blacks, African Americans, etc. blatantly and because they believe their own race is superior, calling it racism misses the real issue, which you accurately captured.

• While I am not white or sexist or being discriminatory, I think there are good reasons why a lot of directors and producers are white and males.

Okay, supposed you were an ultra rich share holder of one of the movies companies. Some directors came to you with a script and an idea to make awesome money. They just ask for 550% of everything you have. Who are going to pick? White dude with a decent record of being profitable. A gal with minor credits in indie films that sold for 5k each - break even. A young black girl with a degree in films and no background worth talking about - came from a bad neighborhood too. Each have their own way. The young black girl might get something new, the girl might get a new way of doing films but the white dude will recycling? E his winning formula.

What are you going to do? If you pick one and you fail, you will be out in the streets with your dog and a lamp. Okay, it's not ttthat dramatic but it's your money on the line. You don't want to loose. You become conservative. You stick with the winning formula rather than trying out something new.

• The Oscars is not white.
    It is Jewish.
    There are white actors, directors and producers in Hollyweird, but not many, in comparison to the overwhelming domination of Jews.
    See, An Empire of Their Own - How the Jews Invented Hollywood:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaGBcHo9DI

• Well why aren't we complaining about the lack of diversity in professional sports?

#NBASOBLACK

• You absolutely can if you'd like the same way I'm mentioning the Oscars here.

• your take was promoted instantly. you be an editor phoreal lol.

times are changing. slowly. but changing.

• oh yeah... i agree with you... i think NBA so black. and so tall. why that LeBron vs Curry rivalry? that's so black. they should put a white player to the spotlights too. the are so few whites that got MVP throughout NBA history. that's so racist. how can u claim that white people are not able to perform as well as blacks?

also, top American universities are so Asian. really, that's so racist, how don't they give more opportunities to blacks and whites? that's so racist too... damn... this world is lost

• I agree. Hollywood is run by white liberals and white liberals are the most racist.

• You do realize only 12% of America is black right lmao. Not all black people are in film, and while there might be some amount of pre-impudated racism, in the America today, it would be odd to see an equal amount of black and white nominees. Whites compose about 63% of the nation. If they were both 1/3 then this would be a bit more infuriating, the Oscars so White thing

• We need more white people in the sprinting for the Olympics

What Girls Said 2

• Thing is that more "white" than "non-white" people are inclined towards a cinema/acting career. If more people from other "races" were part it, there would be more variety.

• That's not it at all. There are 4 theater based schools in my area that I know of, one I attended a summer program at, and the racial make-up is very diverse. Many of the most popular acting schools in New York/California are quite diverse. Lack of people from other races applying and trying is not the issue here.

• Nicely written I agree it's much nicer to see diversity in a movie!