Things to know before you play a Tabletop RPG

So I've been thinking of writing this take for a while, mostly after I heard a person in CVS say to their friend that they wanted to try Dungeons and Dragons because they saw it on the Big Bang Theory.

1. Saying you want to play a game of Dungeons and Dragons because you saw it in The Big Bang Theory in a Gaming store is something you WILL regret.

That person was lucky they were not saying that in a gaming store because mentioning that you like that show in a gaming store is like going to a New York City Sports Bar during a baseball game wearing a Red Sox Shirt and yelling about how the Yankee's suck. The show is, controversial to say the least in that kind of circle. To be specific, the debate is whether it is basically what could be called, Nerdface and I actually have to say it is or at least became nerdface at some point.

2. When you say you want to play a game, make sure you say the right edition.

Another thing you should know is that the divide over Edition's of a game is something people take extremely seriously. The biggest is if you say anything positive about fourth edition Dungeons and Dragons, be prepared for massive amounts of angry nerds yelling at you. However at least the line is at least semi clear cut there. That's why people are playing Pathfinder instead these days instead of D&D its like 3.5 perfected and given even more awesome. The lines become less clear when you talk about other games like Shadowrun.

3. Your first Character should NOT be a spell caster

Those are a handful of 1st level wizard spells for Pathfinder. The fact is that while spell casters basically become gods with Clerics and Druids being the most powerful at higher levels. The fact is the downside is that they have A LOT of extra mechanics. If you play a spell caster as your first character. It's highly likely that the entire table will temporarily hate you at the end of the session.

Good first time Classes, Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, 2nd time characters, Monk, Ranger, Paladin, Third time and up, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard, in pathfinder you can add Gunslingers as well.

4. You're first couple characters will probably be Murderhobos

There is more to Tabletop RPG's than killing people and taking their stuff, there are also sorts of things you can do, but the fact is that Murderhobos are incredibly easy to play.

Now the Term Murderhobo comes from the fact that the very basic RPG hero (or villain protagonist) A. Doesn't have a home and wanders around (a hobo) B. Goes around killing bad guys in their homes (dungeons, Bandit camps, caves, etcera) and taking their stuff. So there really isn't that much difference when you think about it from an RPG hero and a homeless vagrant who kills people and takes their stuff to survive. That doesn't mean its necessarily bad to play say, a Conan Like Barbarian who wields a big axe or sword and kills enemies. It can be awesome fun.

5. Do not piss off the GM

The DM runs the game, if you piss of the DM enough, don't be surprised if a lightning bolt hits your character and kills them instantly, forcing you to pay for resurrection spell if you want to play that character. On the flipside, there are things that can make it so that you get a little leniency oftentimes. Like paying for the DM's Lunch, buying them beer or in the case of last week for me, Hard Cider.

Also don't be surprised that if the DM's Girlfriend or Boyfriend is playing that their characters will get better treatment, even I was guilty of this at one point myself.

I am also considering doing a part two of this so tell me what you think

36
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• See I've skipped table top RPGs altogether and just gone straight for live RPGs.

Got the bruises on my leg to prove it XD

Most Helpful Guy

• Murderhobos are good.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 2

• Playing a caster as my first character was the absolute worst! I ended up dueling a minion for an entire encounter because I couldn't do any damage

My experience with 4th edition wasn't so bad because our dungeon master changed a bunch of things to fit with a plot he came up with back in college. My sister and I played religious extremist shifters and it ended up being a pretty fun campaign. I took advantage of the extra HP, so I ended up with twice as much as everyone else. That came in handy the day only casters showed up to play and they fenced me off with a bunch of angry orcs because they couldn't take a hit

I play a half-orc/half-dwarf barbarian now and that's a fun character to play. We play a mix of different editions, just take the best stuff from each. If you have a creative dungeon master and enough figurines, you can do whatever you want

I love The Big Bang Theory. I hate that people think they're nerds just from watching it, but I think the writers do a good job. I guess it helps that I know people who are like each of the characters in real life

I think you left out that it takes a lot longer to play than most people think. It can take up to an hour to play a single round if everyone is really into their characters or don't know how to play at all. It's​ not fast-paced like a video game

• One of my exes introduced me to The Big Bang Theory and he was an AVID D&D player. Multiple nights a week at the game shop. Tournaments and all.

• "To be specific, the debate is whether it is basically what could be called, Nerdface and I actually have to say it is or at least became nerdface at some point."

Huh?

• as in, lets make extreme stereotypes of nerds and make fun of them

• Lol yeah I got that.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't like magic users because of needing to buy and carry a ton of potions around to replenish one's mana/MP/whatever. That and you're made of tissue paper, while the enemies are invariably wild animals/demons/black knights who will slice through your star-covered wizard robes in seconds.

• Not in, tabletop dogs like D&D you get a certain number of spells per day, higher level spells you get less of till you are high enough level, the spell levels are also different from class level, in Pathfinder you unlock 3rd level spells at level five as a vleric, and the highest spell level is level 9, which is unlocked at level 17

• How dare you bring up my childhood shame! https://i.imgur.com/s1CXwB2.gif

• never be ashame, be proud of it, like Stephen Colbert, Robin Williams, and Vin Diseal

• Now I'm adding to my bucket list going to a game store and talking about how great D&D 4th edition is.

• bring back D&D!!!

• Tried d and d and I just can't do it