My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

I'm a good girl from Windy Welly where the coolest building is some terrible looking mound of steel and glass called the Beehive. So imagine my awe when I first saw the skyline of New York from the window of my taxiing aeroplane. That was 7 years ago and now I'm a resident of the city and I STILL step out onto the street every day full of wonder. There are countless gorgeous buildings in every conceivable style but here are my top 10 favorite skyscrapers in the city. ENJOY.

10. One57

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

One57 is a bit controversial but it's looks and towering stature have grown on me. Sure it casts a large shadow over the park and it's penthouse is overpriced (110 Million USD last I checked) but I've grown to love the slender and modern shape.

9. Bank of America Tower

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

BofA towers over Bryant Park in Midtown. It's one of the greenest skyscrapers in the city and is the third tallest thanks to it's lofty spire. It's sharp modern edges really work for me and are good enough to put BofA at #9.

8. 10 Hudson Yards

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

10 Hudson is the newest Building on my list and it's one of the newer supertalls in the city. As you can tell by now I LOVE modern architecture skyscrapers. I love the way it looms over you on the High Line and I can't wait for the rest of the buildings in the Hudson Yards complex to be built.

7. 56 Leonard

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

Moving south on the island we have 56 Leonard Street. Once again it's a new and modern building but this one has an insane floor plan on the top floors. Modern construction is a miracle.

6. 20 Exchange Place

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

In addition to modern architecture I also am a big fan of Art Deco. 20 Exchange is a building I've always loved for it's decorative features but also the simple but imposing pinnacle. Also check out 20 Exchange's secret banking halls here. --> (JK apparently you have to be a Level 2 person to post a link. Just Google it.)

5. Met Life Tower

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

Not to be confused with the Met Life BUILDING in Midtown, Met Life TOWER is king of the Madison Square Park area. When it was built in 1909 it was the tallest building in the world. It was modeled on a Italian Renaissance tower and it's external clock is very symbolic of NYC.

4. One World Trade Center

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

One World Trade or Freedom Tower is the new symbol of NYC. It's the tallest in the city, country, and the Western Hemisphere. It's gleaming facade is a much welcomed addition to the city after the 9/11 attacks. You've got to love this building!

3. Woolworth Building

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

Another former tallest building in the world when it dethroned the Met Life Tower in 1913. It is a symbol of the city and the American Dream. Frank Woolworth built his empire of dime stores in the early 1900s and used his massive fortune to build the gorgeous building above. An exclusive penthouse was recently remodeled in the cupola adding to the buildings grandeur and prestige.

2. Chrysler Building

My Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

The Chrysler Building is another stunning example of Art Deco design in Midtown Manhattan. It is one of the enduring symbols of the city and enjoyed exactly 11 months as the tallest building on the planet.

1. The Empire State Building

My Top 10 Favorite NYC SkyscrapersMy Top 10 Favorite NYC SkyscrapersMy Top 10 Favorite NYC Skyscrapers

The Empire State Building is the go-to symbol of New York City and America. It dethroned the Chrysler Building in 1931 to become the tallest building in the world. It held that title until 1970. It's soaring Art Deco design has become the pride of all New Yorkers. The top floors often glow different colors to celebrate events. Without a doubt it's my favorite building in the whole city!

511

Most Helpful Guy

• Love them, and thanks to this myTake I now finally know the name of that weird, but awesome looking building I once discovered just walking around randomly one morning (56 Leonard).

Most Helpful Girl

• Since I'm a New Yorker I love the whole city, not only some buildings. I love the Flatiron, the Chrysler building, there's a new building than can be seen from the other side of the east river from Long Island city, which has a connection between the two buildings and it looks amazing. This construction is near the United Nations.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

• Really cool idea for a post, but... What the hell dude I think 6-10 are ugly as hell.

1-6 are nice picks though.

But I'm going to post what I think should have been 6-10 :D

I actually like 423 Park Ave though but I can understand why people hate it. lol. I think it's beautiful though, it's so perfectly geometric, and it looks really cool at dusk:
    www.dberke.com/.../...e_new-york-ny_inprogress.jpg

8 spruce street, it just looks awesome:
    cdn-img2.streeteasy.com/nyc/image/66/70473966.jpg

One madison, it looks like it's from the future:
    batrareport.com/.../4903_one-madison-park.jpg

General electric building, it looks like something aliens would make:
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...09e7c534e3.jpg

• Actually one 57 is decent looking too lol. But I think hudson yards and bank of america tower are very ugly and not a fan of 56 leonard either.

• Haha cheers. Yeah I took this photo of those 3 together recently, check it out!
      scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/.../...0336_n.jpg

I was trying to get the flatiron building in there too but everything looked too distorted at that wide of an angle.

• That's awesome!!! I was literally walking across that park this weekend and tried to get a decent picture but yours is much better!

• What is the stupendously tall, narrow (six windows across) building near the SE corner of Central Park? Neither I nor my friend (who lives in NYC) were sure what it was.

• When I was 12 we went to NYC and I wanted to go up in the WTC but my Dad hates cities so we got out ASAP and didn't really get a chance to look around. Missed my chance to do that I guess.

• Love this mytake and love the buildings. Thanks! I'm a big lover of architecture and engineering.

• born and raised here and love all the buildings. I wonder if the hearts show up on empire during Valentines Day like in Sleepless in Seattle

• Empire State and Chrysler are the most iconic buildings of New York.

• I'd love to visit NYC for those bigass hotdogs.

• I love skyscrapers.

• inb4 911 joke.

• never been there

What Girls Said 4

• I have been to the Empire State Building three times. Such breathtaking view.
    I was too young to remember going into the Woolworth and Chrysler Buildings.
    The last time I went to New York the Freedom Tower wasn't opened yet, I hope I get to one day go in there.

• Definitely check out the observation deck at the new WTC. It's insane

• @zorro8888 you get to see these everyday don't you? UGHHHHHH!!!

• nice! didn't know about these. 56leonard and the woolworth tower are so neat looking

• Those look amazing.