Can Video Games Be A Sport?

Can Video Games Be A Sport?

These are some of my opinions! Thanks!

I am a gamer! I play lots of video games, I find them very fun to play. Many people say video games are unhealthy, which yes, they can be, but there's a lot of ways they don't have to be, 'Pokemon GO' was a good example until it failed. Virtual reality is gonna be great, you aren't staying in one place all the place, but V.R headsets cost a lot. The number one question I think of when I think of video games is "Are Video Games A Sport?" which I believe it can. There are already competitions for games like 'Call of Duty' and 'World of Warcraft' that if you win you win some good money! To have video games be in the Olympics or anything like that... We gotta show them that we want it! I do love the idea of having virtual reality in it because if we want Video games in the Olympics for example, we shall need it to be active and physical. It would be an amazing to have it be in Virtual reality as they can make a whole course with obstacles that go with the game they play (like a shooter game, where players fight against each other)! I think keeping the sit-down gaming to the tournaments that already exist would be best, but for the virtual reality part that should definitely be invested the Olympics or something similar! Maybe gaming will or could be a good sport!

I believe that playing video games can be a good sport and does have a chance to become a sport! Millions of people play video games, so I think video games should be registered as a full-on sport. What do you think? Should video games be a sport or not? I'd love to hear your opinion!

04

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, it certainly has the backing to be a strong competitive scene, that's for sure.

Many games like League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Dota 2, CS:GO, R6S and many more have a strong following and a stickler for rules in terms of integrity to make a definition of a proper competitive activity.

While it certainly has the potential and there are evidence to suggest that even top dog sports journos like ESPN putting its attention to it, this kind of thing needs to establish time and resources. The fact new competitive games keep popping up is also a concern because new rules and other foundational factors has to be established for the game to be considered a sport.

Physical sports make a great competitive scene because of how static it is in nature and its consistency, something most video games don't have and the fact it's whole nature could change within a decade.

Well time will tell, video games are a very new concept in comparison to their physical counterparts, I'd give it another decade to see where it goes soon enough.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 0

Share the first opinion in your gender

What Guys Said 3

• competitive gaming is not a "sport" and it never will be.

Sure it takes "skill" but it's not as hard and skillful as actual sport. All you have to do is sit infront of a computer monitor and press buttons in a strategic manner in order to win a game whereby you control a virtual character that has to fight against other virtual characters.

The only video games that count as a "e-sport" are FIFA, PES, NBA 2K, Formula 1, basically any video game based on a actual sport.

• It's competitive, sure.
    But it's not a sport

• it really depends on the person..