How The Filmmakers of Fantastic Beasts 2 Could Have Made Dumbledore Gay Without Pissing Off Conservatives Audiences

HP fans might have heard they're not directly addressing dumbledore's homoerotic love for grindlewald (or whatever his name is) in fantastic beasts 2. I personally think this is cowardly. They already have enough problems with keeping depp on despite him beating his wife mercilessly. anyhoo, here are some things I think they could have figured out to make the gay love storyline work for more close minded audiences without making them feel too uncomfortable

Make Dumbledore Flamboyant

The thing is i dont' think conservative fans have a problem with homosexuality existing in the harry potter universe--they have a problem with it being superimposed in order to be "politically correct" and make all the millenialls appeased. So, if dumbledore is more obviously a gay man then i don't think they'd object to him having romantic affection for another man. It's the fact that dumbledore has never showed any interest whatever to anyone and all of a sudden he's a homosexual that i think annoys conservatives who feel like its just tacked on as part of a liberal agenda.

Treat It Like It's Not Weird

Another thing liberals do to ruin gay storylines is make them like this special thing that deserves to overtake the entire movie. Try treating the gay storyline just like you would a straight storyline and see let the audience take its cues from the characters. Don't have other characters respond to dumbledore's love with outrage--let them just see it as they'd see any an attraction to a woman. For god sake there's flying broomsticks and anthropomorphic trees and you're freaked out by two men loving each other?

Don't Pay It Off With Physical Intimacy

There's no need to see any actual physical intimacy since as i understand it grindlewald turned out to be a horrible human being. Dumbledore can pine, develop feelings, but never get a payoff since in the end the man he loves ends up betraying everything he stands for. Easy out for a movie to not have to show any guy on guy action that would make conservative audiences want to run out of the theater

26
pavlove is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really care either way, but I think the Grindelwald and Dumbledore plot could be immensely interesting for a number of reasons. Dumbledore has said that his one main weakness is power, he find that it is something that can corrupt him and for that reason decided to become a professor over working in the Ministry. I love of the idea of Dumbledore having to deal with this intimate relationship that he know could result in his own downfall. There's something intriguing to it, like Reylo, with this sexual tension underlining this struggle to avoid an attraction towards a destructive force. I think you're right, the best way the whole Dumbledore is gay thing can be presented is if it is focused entirely on the relationship, not any of the sexuality stuff that could be rammed in there.

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 1

• I don't care about Dumbledore being gay...
    I'm just pissed that Depp is playing Grindelwald.

What Guys Said 5

• If they make Dumbledore gay, I'll stop watching and reading Harry Potter forever.

• Why should Dumbledore's sexuality even have to be introduced at all in the movie? They don't make a big deal about someone being straight.

• they have love stories, match them up with other characters etc.

• isn't Dumbledore like actually gay in the books according to the author?

• Why does there have to be backlash

• what do you mean?

• exactly, why can't people just accept other's choices when it comes to art/entertainment

• Mhm exactly. Plus it's a fantasy book like wtf lol

• They shouldn't have made him gay at all, I've had it enough with the lgbt propaganda in various movies and tv shows... and I'm not even conservative, I'm an atheist, and left-wing.

• how is it propaganda?

• It's trying to impose lgbt as something "normal". It's a genetic disorder, or a hormonal disbalance. Atheist countries like USSR never consider it as "normal"... so it's really annoying when people think that all the atheists support such perversions. Normal Atheist is not neo-liberal hedonist who supports various deviations in sexual behavior.