It's Not Okay to Bully Celebrities

It's Not Okay to Bully Celebrities

There are a lot of people who don't seem to think the things they say about or post about celebrities are bullying them. They often rationalize these negative comments and actions by saying, "well that celebrity shouldn't have put their business out there for me to see," or "they knew what they were doing when they decided to enter into Hollywood," or "they ask for this type of stuff," but do they?

If you're a musician or actor who's passion in life is movies or music, you want people to see and hear your work. You may never dream it will touch as many people as it does, but if that time comes, all of a sudden they become targets for bullying for everything they do. If they date or break up with someone, people have something to say about it. If they hang out in certain places, people make snap judgments. If they tweet anything, it's a crime. These are things you and I do, and we wouldn't want people all in our business like many think they have the absolute right to be for celebrities.

It's Not Okay to Bully Celebrities

These are just people, and people I might add who without their control are followed, nay stalked everywhere they go. They have people standing outside their homes and some even breaking in to get to them. They have fans who outright demand autographs even if they're with their families or in the toilet and if they refuse, they are blasted as being the a-hole. Their families and friends are hounded for every little detail about them, and anything in their past is often dug up and made public and all for what...wanting to share some music and entertain you for a few hours?

I am one to stick up for them, just as I would if it were a friend of my own because that is a hard life to live and to say, well, why don't they just do something else...well, why don't you? You don't give up on something you're passionate about because it's in your blood, but to be dragged through the mud over every little detail, especially ones they had no intention of making public, is awful and I think if you're one of the ones who does that sort of thing, you should really take a breath and listen to yourself and put yourself on the other end of your nasty words. If it were you on the other end of that, would that be okay?

415
BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think lots of people try to live vicariously through celebrities. Just look at those stupid ass gossip magazines like People. They envy them and they feel better when they see them f*ck up. It has to do with their own insecurities.

in my opinion people who waste their time following gossip about actors, entertainers and musicians are completely WORTHLESS and have no life. This also goes for guys who worship NFL players and other major league sports celebrities. The only exception would be for guys who played HS/college football... at least they can relate.

I personally could care less about celebrity lifestyles except for UFC fighters... because I used to compete in pro-MMA. I can RELATE to that sport at least.

Not to get off topic, but one I can't stand about ANY celebrity is when they go around spouting their political beliefs like they have such infinite wisdom and so much more well informed than the average citizen.

I'm sorry, but those people are not any smarter politically than the guy who asked for spare change on the corner. Given they often like in their own bubble, in some ways they are actually DUMBER than you and I when it comes to the real world. They act like they deserve to be treated like royalty.

When they start saying stupid shit like "I'm going to leave the US if Trump gets elected!" then their smug ass's DESERVED to get bullied. And why didn't any of them keep their promises? I would have helped them pack...

• I agree. If you don't want your ramblings associated with your name, then post anonymously. As a celebrity, you KNOW that there is going to be a higher level of interest generated by your posts and comments. If you sign your name behind them, prepare for the reaction. I have to do the same, as do you and everyone else on the planet. If I post ignorant, annoying things and get called out for them, is that bullying? As a public figure, you have to realize that what you say makes an impact, - that responsibility does come with the job. If you say inflammatory, polarizing things, the whole world will see.
      But truly, I have never seen a group of people less held accountable for their actions. I keep seeing second chances being given to people for screwups that would ruin the rest of us. The detractors exist, yes, but so do the unconditional supporters - and (most importantly) the people who make money off of the controversy and the following rehabilitation.

• @Shallan the only people to blame are the sheeple who SUPPORT these celebrities. It's scary that there are so many of them. It's scary that they will making a VOTING decision based on a celebrity's opinion. Think for yourself!

• I do agree with that too. It doesn't absolve celebrities of their actions, but just imagine how little influence they would have if people treated them the same way as they do their pizza delivery boy. Essentially, I would be content to replace all celebrities with virtual animations and scripted lines. Although... I bet that would take on its own dynamic as well. People are people, after all.

Most Helpful Girl

• The image celebrities present to the public isn't who they really are it's a carefully crafted image, when you read a story about them in a magazine that's not the real story that's a PR exercise. To many people are taken in by celebrities because of how they look or their music or a charcter they play on a show or because they think they like them. This is why most people are calling bullshit on the speeches Oprah and merl Streep gave at the Golden Globes and why we are calling bullshit on Hollywood's campaigns like #METOO and #TIMESUP.
    Sorry but I'm a strong minded and strong willed woman who doesn't need any of these hypocrites, prostitutes, liars, cheats, peadophilles, rapists and complicit celebrities to represent me.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 14

• I don't know if celebrities are the ones to feel sorry for. I am sure that many have some deep issues, etc. But they can always hug their money. They can always fly to Aruba and walk along nice white sandy beaches. They can always get support and love from all the beautiful people in their lives. And maybe the poor folks living on the streets, maybe refugees getting murdered by the thousands, maybe people who are suffering from natural disasters are the ones who do not need bullying. Maybe they are the ones who truly need help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4uHhFTSGjI

• This is just another pass off the blame post. So it's okay if you bully them because they are rich and have money? You're basically saying it's okay to be a jerk because someone has money. That says more about you then it does about them. As commentators have pointed out, it's not okay to bully anyone regardless of status, wealth, who they are etc. To not bully a celebrity doesn't mean you can't ALSO care about the poor who may also be bullied.

• Are we to blame the poor for being poor? I should blame you for having internet access and food in your belly when these people clearly do not. Should we blame you for having had an education because there are so many who don't have that opportunity. Have you given your whole entire paychecks to organizations that help because whether you have 20 mil or 20 K, that's more than these people have. At what tax bracket would you say that it's okay to start trashing people because they have money?

Posting a bunch of pictures of starving helpless war torn children doesn't actually help those children in need. Any organization on earth needs money to help feed the poor, to buy plane tickets to send volunteers to help out, to fund security, to buy school and building supplies. These aren't free my friend, so blasting anyone with money is to say that the world is a magical place that doesn't require anything but goodness in hearts to create food, water, fuel, clothing, and supplies.

• You see, you are just making up stuff now.

I will say it plain.

I will not feel sorry for a celebrity dealing with internet bullies. I will save my pity for people who need it.

Period.

Shed a tear for Brittany will you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDDEhLw1PVI

• I think this is a bit simplistic. Specifically this:

"If you're a musician or actor who's passion in life is movies or music, you want people to see and hear your work. You may never dream it will touch as many people as it does, but if that time comes, all of a sudden they become targets for bullying for everything they do."

It is incredibly rare that a person somehow becomes the target of the world through no fault of their own and by means of amazing talent alone. You generally find that most people strive for these positions and understand to some degree what comes with them including public dissent. The very idea of a fan and power in the public eye are specifically the opposite of bullying, or put another way, approval versus dissent.

The reason that matters is because you're stating that functionally no one has the right to offer dissent but everyone has the right to offer unending fandom. Well that's nice, very positive, but the number of people who actually even have access to these individuals to create bullying scenarios that genuinely have a chokehold rather than just reading a tabloid and being unimpressed and offering their opinion are so few and far between it is very difficult to see what this is about.

You're not talking about a high schooler who is in a room filled with individuals less than 50 feet away who mistreat them. You're talking about people who literally couldn't possibly read every comment made about them, praise or dissent, in their own lifetimes even if started at birth with twice the normal longevity.

Plus you have people who are famous for horrible things. OJ Simpson for instance was a football player and known for his violent escapades (but he didn't do it, just FYI) and do we have the right to apply public dissent? What of individuals who turn to drugs or act like Charlie Sheen who clearly was not a great person or rolemodel? And that last word in that last sentence is key by the way.

When you enter the public eye you agree, fundamentally, to become a rolemodel. You don't see YoYoMa in tabloids and he's an amazing artist. You actually don't hear about most artists or actors even if they are decent fame. So thusly this is probably more complex than "You just need to be nice to everyone all the time, thanks."

• Jennifer Lawrence gets bullied a lot, but she gives it right back. I don't bully anyone, and celebrities don't interest me enough to even follow what they're doing, let alone harass them. Even the Kardashians (including Kanye), who I think are obnoxious attention whores, don't really interest me enough to say anything about them.

• They are indeed people, and they shouldn't be bullied. I don't really care about their personal lives.

Side note, I had the pleasure of meeting Patrick Stewart. I worked at a Tower Records and he came into the classical music annex. He was *awesome*. One of the coolest customers I've ever met.

• Truth be told, most celebrities (actors, musicians, athletes, politicians) are balloon heads. While living their multi-million dollar lives, they try to tell us (or shame us into, or bully us into) how we should live our weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly paycheck lives. No thanks.

With that said, if you actually bully a celebrity for no reason (not counting calling out improper or illegal behavior), you're a balloon head.

• I have never said anything about celebrities that was to bad, definitely was not stalking any while they were taking a dump. If they practiced safer methods of concealing their identities they would not have so many problems. But they stick out, which makes there lives hard.

• You're trying to complicate the subject by using the word "bullying" to sway people.

In reality, there will always be illogical douchebags. They (the celebrities) are aware of this. If someone walks straight into a bonfire, do you blame it all on the bonfire?

One of the things that separate the most loved of celebrities from the bunch is the willpower to stick to their guns and leave all the negativity aside, focusing instead on those who appreciate whatever it is they do best.

• I agree, there will always be jerks in the world, but why do you or anyone else have to be one of the ones. Putting a celebrity in some sort of alternate reality box and saying they live in some kind of different world, ignores the fact that just like you and I, they are still people and last time I checked, celebrity or not, we all have feelings and they can get hurt. No one deserves the hatred for just existing on this planet and trying, in this case to just entertain you. Rather then someone say, oh, they should just take it, why not try actually saying, maybe "I" should stop contributing to the problems they face.

• They are public figures. They need to know that when you become famous, it’s fair game. People will criticize, and insult them

• Thank you. I agree; I'm so tried of seeing Adam driver memes everywhere. They are literally taking his body, you know the body that he is born with, and shaming it. And it's not fair.

• When it comes down to it celebrities or famous people are humans. People act like they are not of this world.

• If Vladimir doesn't want people to make fun of him he shouldn't've paid someone to photograph him striped to the waist looking like a gay porn star.

• If you wanna make your life public, by all means do so, but there are consequences.

• Its not okay to bully anyone...

• It's not okay to bully ANYONE.

What Girls Said 3

• I think there's a limit ex) looking at stolen nudes is disgusting whereas making a tweet about how ridiculous a celebrity baby name is not.

Being nasty though is just in poor taste and reflects poorly on the person, however, I am game for a light roasting.

• I've been guilty of commenting in a negative way about the occasional celebrity, but I have never "bullied" anyone personally - these were always discussions that were never actually targeted at the celebrity. Usually, I ignore them - I figure if a celebrity annoys me for whatever reason (usually it is just seeing their face... AGAIN), the best way to react is not to fuel the fame.
    Straight out bullying is never ok, but honestly - if I post BS on something like Twitter under my real name, I could get fired. If I do anything publicly to piss people off, I am culpable for my actions. Unlike most celebrities, I don't have a big fat bank account to tide me over if I lose my job. I don't see why celebrities shouldn't be held accountable for acting like assholes. They know how visible they are. If they are racist, or blatantly insulting and disrespectful, they deserve to be called out just like anyone else.

• You're definitely confusing the issue. If someone is actually a racist, being disrespectful, etc. they absolutely should be called out, but a lot of the time, they aren't doing that and people would rather believe a rumor then actually know the truth when it comes to gossip magazines which paint nasty pictures of them all the time to sell magazines. It doesn't make it right to just go off on them or call them names even in a social media post, because that is bullying. If your friend posted BS about you for everyone to read and it wasn't true, what is the difference there. There is no excuse for doing to others what you would definitely not want done to you in the reverse.

• I am not confusing the issue, I am pointing out the only scenario where I would support public backlash against a celebrity. If a celebrity posts something offensive, the public reaction can be very visible and often miscontrued as "bullying".
      As far as making negative comments is concerned, I think I am allowed to say "I don't think *blank* has any talent". With that degree of recognition (and money), you have to understand that people will question your status. Nevertheless... I highly doubt any celebrity will give up their position just because random people don't like what they do. We are allowed to ask "why are you so successful" and express our doubts. I am constantly being reevaulated by my superiors and peers, or even here online by people I don't know - why should a celebrity be immune?
      Now if I were to send a celebrity death threats, stalk them or make an account on Twitter that ridicules them and exposes their personal life... different story. No one deserves that.

• FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT!!